Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:47 PM

563 posts, read 1,446,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GattonFratton View Post
I'm glad the consensus is that I'm not being unrealistic to expect some peace and quiet (especially on days when I'm home sick.) I did find the landlord's address through Portlandmaps.com . I will definitely include the city ordinance in that letter (good idea.) The mom doesn't seem to have any sense of how to be a good neighbor. If I did this more than once, my parents would have put my stereo right in the trash.
It's your right to have peace and quiet...you are not being unrealistic at all.
We live in a rural area and luckily, neighbor noise is not a problem. But if it was, you bet I'd be on it, even with my high tolerance for chaos.
You might also be on the lookout for city code violations if your letter doesn't work. Amazing what happens when someone gets called on an unpermitted structure or animal code infraction. Dirty trick, best saved for last. Expect repercussions from that ploy.
Best of luck, keep us posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 03:44 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,512,261 times
I am not a fan of nocking on people's doors whose history I don't know. Call or send a letter is safer. The advantage of a letter is that you can cc the landlord.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,484 times
Could you please direct me to the location of the city ordinance? I have a similar issue with my neighbors and am at my wits end with them. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-02-2010, 06:01 PM

Call the City of Portland. They will sort it out.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,321 times
I have the same problem in Portland Maine, as a matter of fact I called the landlord and let him know what a problem this is causing, he told me that it was my problem, not his.....his tenants are adults, he is not their parents, or guardians, they aren't causing him a problem, keeping him awake from 1am until 4-5 am....I can't say that I was shocked at his attitude...he is collecting a check...he doesn't care. How arrogant??? And he called me ignorant to think he would do something about this, hahaha....my next call was to the police dept. neighbor office. They are going to enlighten him on a few facts. "Hey *sshole, it is called a nuisance address".....they will be sending you some information in the mail to read up on it, lol.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,110 times
I hope the conversation was more than, " hey the music is loud I work from home" then leave. If you consider that talking to a neighbor then something is wrong.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:58 AM

381 posts, read 1,014,111 times
Of course, there's always the ultimate solution... quietly find the neighbor's electrical meter, wait for some dark night, sneak up to it, and pull that puppy straight out. Just be sure to wear rubber gloves and toss the meter somewhere that cannot be easily located.

Note that the above is mere sarcasm and shouldn't be done. It violates a lot of laws. On the other hand, you do not want to know how many times I had contemplated it at the last place I lived (and throwing the circuit breaker to a noisy barracks room way back in the days when I wore a uniform was a *very* effective way to shut down a loud drunken party late at night).

Old 11-20-2014, 05:02 PM

986 posts, read 2,501,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GattonFratton View Post
I am looking for a suggestions to quiet my noisy neighbors. They play their stereo loudly for hours at a time, so loudly that they can be heard all the way down the block. I have asked many times for them to be quiet. This worked for a time, but now they don't care, claiming they can do what they want until 10 p.m. (I actually met the Portland Noise Control officer once, socially, who told me this is not actually true, that's just when the police will intervene.) They are renters so I plan to contact the landlord next. I'd rather avoid the expense of a legal dispute, but it is getting to the point that it will be worth the peace and quiet.
In a perfect world with no repercussions I'd play the intro to John Mellencamp's "Crumblin' Down" over and over.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:50 PM

Absolutely contact the landlord. If they are that thoughtless of their neighbors they are likely not taking care of the home. Perhaps they are violating the terms of their lease.

There was a renter across the street from me who had grow-lights shining in my and a neighbor's windows (the joke in my building was at least he should share his harvest). Efforts to get him to solve this problem were fruitless until I wrote a letter to him pleading for solution which I copied to his landlord and to the building home owner's association. In a couple weeks the light was shielded and in a couple months the plants were gone - I assume he moved.

You are lucky this is a renter.

Legally this situation probably meets the definition of a 'nuisance' and you could get a restraining order but litigation costs $$$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: