Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 04:25 PM

48 posts, read 120,130 times

Advertisements

@ Hamellr, did not notice your note earlier. Thanks for that lead. I'm retired and got the time. Don't get into town too often. Next time I do, like going to Powell's, that library visit is a must. Got to find out if my card is still active. Thank you again. Good 2011 to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 01:10 AM

8 posts, read 20,508 times
Oh my Ray....Was it Cottel's Drugstore (sp?) on SW 1st? Used to go there for a milkshake when report cards came out...it was a special treat and luxury spending. I would beg for my very own shake not wanting to share it, but it never happened and my mom was smart enough to know I could never finish one by myself so it went every report card time. I remember sitting on the wood floor by the magazine racks reading comic books or looking at paper dolls we couldn't afford. Loved the feeling in there of the fountain and people...good memory. Also the Lincoln Theater where my mom snuck pepsi bottles and popcorn in her purse so we had to cough when she popped the lid off. Also the Lincoln drugstore where we purchased prescriptions.
The other important store for me was on 1st where I was sent for forgotten items. Italian run, I'd have to walk by barrels of smelly dried fish to get to the counter to pay & decide on penny candy. I was 'brown eyes' to the friendliness there.

love this memory lane stuff.

night all.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:53 PM

Brabara, tight on time of the moment and will continue more later. I did want to ask if you remember a Calaswano's Italian deli way down on 33rd Avenue, just south of Hawthrone? You mentioned the smells of the deli you went to and that is exactly one of the memoiries I have of Calaswano's. They were the nicest of people and would give me a free cold ice cream bar or cone. Love that blend of Mediteranean aromas. More later. This so great dredging up long absent memeories. One memory leads to another, eh. I'm trying to place the deli you mentioned. How about a what I think was a Jewish bakery?

Old 01-04-2011, 03:55 PM

Wow! I do believe that was the name of the drugstore. I've never seen the name of it in print but the sound of it, yeah, that's it.

Another recall person, Jeanette Flores, graduated with me. She had an older brother, Ronald, but did not graduate from St. Lawrnece, some kind of drop out thing.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:03 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
I'm a newcomer to Portland (1994) and I work in an office building that seems to be right where you all are talking about - the address is 2525 SW 1st Avenue, but the complex covers from 1st to 3rd and from Sheridan to Arthur. If you have any questions about what's in that area now, I can probably tell you - I've been walking around this neighborhood on my lunch hours for the last 15 years.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:48 AM

Howdy, Rob! Wish to heck we could have a time machine as an entertainment item, maybe one day long after we're gone. It is really hard to pinpoint locations of what was before since there was so much drastic destruction in that I-405 corridor area. I've rode through on my bicycle on occasion and I can catch some of it. Arther street area survived. I'd catch a bus there on First after visting friends in the area during those St. Lawrence days. That spot is a few blocks away from the parish.
In my old age I am surprised how much I treasure these old images. I remember a huge maple tree that was directly across from the convent, north. It was huge. The base was so big and humped that three adults could stand on it. It was a bus stop also. Little by little snapshots appear in my mind. The quietness of Portland way back then, it was nice.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:42 PM

[SIZE=3]Barbara, just got a flashback of the Lincoln drugstore you mentioned. I knew it well and dropped by there often in those early years. They had a small fountain also, about an eight stool one in an “L” shape. How’s dat for recall. I remember getting a dollar to spend and Idropped in there to buy baseball cards that had the bubble gum as part of the package. I did not know I could by so many for a dollar. That was my first impression of the power of money, ha, ha, bubble gum cards. Do you recall a small grocery store one block away going north, Philan’s, or something like that? I’m trying to retrace my steps in my mind. (By the way, I'm so happy that I saved this to MS Word before sending. The orginal did not appear when sent. [/SIZE]

Old 01-09-2011, 06:14 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyrayf View Post
@ Hamellr, did not notice your note earlier. Thanks for that lead. I'm retired and got the time. Don't get into town too often. Next time I do, like going to Powell's, that library visit is a must. Got to find out if my card is still active. Thank you again. Good 2011 to you!
I just remembered, The Oregon History Society museum recently had what they called the "Archives Crawl." You got to visit each of the four history archives in town, get a little stamp, then go to a little party (and lecture) afterwards.

In addition to the archives at the HS and the Central Library, PSU Library has a nice local history collection and about four blocks south of there, is the City of Portland's archival collection which looks like it may be closer to what you need.

Their site is Welcome to the City of Portland Archives & Records Center (PARC)!

Old 01-10-2011, 02:00 PM

You sure are an excellent source for information, hamellr. It's much appreciated. I sure would have been great if someone had the foreshight to take extensive pictures of the before and after of that St. Lawrence area. Then again that could be a most expensive propostion since they were still in the Kodak era. I imagine there are photos, possibly those sources you mentioned, scattered all about.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:29 AM

Used the City of Portalnd Archives and Records link. It brought back added memories. There was a photo of the Journal building on front street from a time when there was two larger newspapers. I believe each represented its own political slant. I recall playing on the roof parking lot of the Journal. Also, in the lobby the newspaper hosted a "meet Rosey" event. Rosey was the first elephant ever in the city zoo. She was to be one of the grandparents of what was to become a world famous elephant breeding program. I recall seeing a elephant family tree at the zoo and you will see Rosey at the beginning. On added memory, I was there when it came time to take her back to the zoo. It was evening. I watched at the outside door of the lobby as the baby elephant passed. She was about four to five feet tall. All of a sudden she bolted and headed right back into the lobby for some reason. One impression I was left with. You do not want to be in the way of an elephant when it is on the run even a small one. It gave one loud bellow as it turned to run.

The auditorium, I played there too. That was on Third Ave south of Lincoln a couple of blocks. Our graduating high school class had commencement there. I regret that so many of my early childhood turfs are now history and personal memories. We would go up the back side of the auditorium walking up the metal stairways that served as fire escapes. It was a scary thing back then since you could see through the metal slats. We would then be able to open the doors and go inside. The corridors were dark as pitch like being in a darkened catacomb.

In those early years the auditorium was a historical museum with great exhibits of pioneer and Indian artifacts. There was a fantastic collection of old firearms there too.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland