Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2007, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,093 times

Advertisements

My mom is looking to move out of the Hawthorne neighborhood - there's too many young people and she feels very isolated. But she's an apt. renter so that limits where she can move to ("older" neighborhoods seem to be mostly filled with homeowners). She also doesn't want to be stranded in some ugly suburb like Beaverton (sorry, don't mean to offend). And she takes tri-met to work (downtown). Any ideas? Much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 08:10 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,653 times
I can understand your mothers troubles on this one. If you look on the forum here, I also have a post on apts, and the trouble parking and how severe it is. No one has answered it, that speaks volumes, Portland is a hard town to get information. People seem almost oblivious to much here except their dogs. With that said, I have been looking, and you know there is next to nothing, I currently live in gresham, in housing for people over age 50, the parking is so severe I have to leave here, I am on a waiting list for another over 50 apts in the Pearl of all places, Now today I find the parking lot they told me I could park in, would cost me 115 a month to park there. I won't be moving there. So like your mom, I am at a loss of where to go, I am seriously considering leaving Oregon all together, the housing and the over priced effect it is having on all of us, is driving me away. I wish I could help your mother, but I am at a complete loss, Please let me know if you found anything and how she is doing with all of this looking. I understand the isolated feeling when everyone is so much younger, and lets face it, Portland is a young population alot of yuppies move here. Thanks

Old 03-28-2007, 08:26 PM

Hi again there is 2 I believe apt complexes in tigard also for people your mom's and my age to move to, but its a way out, I don't think she would want that, since she doesn't want to go to beaverton, I don't either. The east side of town has lots of mixed ages in various apt bldgs, gresham for one, however the crime is so high, it makes if difficult to find something.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:00 PM

116 posts, read 614,336 times
Default NE Portland is an option

How about NE Portland. Just north of Broadway in Irvington (east of 15th) there are numerous apartment buildings. Sullivan's Gulch is also a possible option. Both neighborhoods are great regarding access to public transportation. Overall, the area is lively, safe, and walking distance to all the necessities. Another posiblity might be the Hollywood neighborhood. It too has many shoping and dining options, and the 43rd stop of the max line is in the vicinity.

While the area does have a lot of apartment, it attracts a different crowd than Hawthorne. Aside from this area of concentrated apartments, the area is largely residential.

Good luck... Check craigslist and see what pops up.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:01 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,765 times
I have also noticed that the only people here are those who are asking for info, correct me if I am wrong, but this state forum seems rather ghostlike, with a few exceptions. Not unlike some others, I wonder why?

Old 04-06-2007, 10:18 AM

Your funny pghpaNative, I am from Mass originally and you remind me of so many of us back east, we say it just like it is. I wondered the same thing also on here. As nice as Portland is, it just seems difficult to get information, I eventually found my way to this website. Thank you to the above post with the info on the hollywood and Irvington districts.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:29 AM

18 posts, read 80,622 times
Portlanders are very nice people, they just don't "put it out there" as readily as other places so, yes, very difficult to get information off this board.

I would suggest Sellwood. My mom lives there (she's 60) and she absolutely loves it. There are definitely some cute apartments in the area and she loves how much there is to do within walking distance.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:47 PM

8 posts, read 24,109 times
I've lived in and around Pdx for many years and might be able to help. Portland has changed quite a bit over the past few years, more diverse, more expensive, more trendy and liberal than before when known as "Stumptown" or as a cow town. You didn't mention whether or not she drives, or what price range she is looking for. If she likes urban living, places like Goose Hollow/Northwest Portland/Pearl District might be options, although tends to be rather expensive but with many public transport options available. Many empty nesters and people her age are moving into that area which attracts upscale artsy people, especially on the waterfront. There are several surprisingly affordable options there in addition to the million dollar condos. Sellwood might be a possibility, near the river, close to downdown but am not sure what the population mix is or availability of rental apartments. However, Sellwood is not far from Hawthorne and I am assuming she has already ruled the area out. I would recommend close-in westside such as Multnomah or Capital Hill. The area is very charming, green rolling hills, a good population mix, available public transportation (depending on the street) and a fair amount of apartments. Multnomah Village in particular has a community feel; i.e. book group meetings out of one of the small bookstores, other local interests. If she is active there are many hiking, walking, birdwatching, cycling groups that meet in and around Portland, particularly in the inner westside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland