Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 11:04 AM

4 posts, read 7,353 times

Advertisements

Moving from Alaska to Oregon. My family has lived in Oregon for generations. I have been reading these posts on city-data and seen a disturbing trend on people demonizing conseratives. My wife and I have been very involved in our communities in Alaska. Alaskans have a true live and let live attitude, but are conservtives overall.

I joked with my college buddies that moving back to Oregon will put me in the minority, but I like a challenge. I know that we will still be in Rotary, volunteering on boards, donating to non-profits and paying my fair share of taxes. I guess in some eyes that is the boogie man conserative trying to hinder others personal freedoms.

I guess all I am saying is conseratives are good people too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 12:26 PM

7,084 posts, read 12,025,419 times
LoL, you joined to say that? Do you think that you have "conservative" tattooed on your back people would try and run you down? No one gives a flying rats ass, unless you want to go around telling people who their life has gone wrong and are being a total jerk...which has nothing to do with what you believe but how you act.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,634 posts, read 57,661,644 times
As you might find.... There is some significant polarity in OR...

It is big into 'group think', and you will be better off joining the mindset of the group. (You WILL NOT win an argument (or a vote), so don't bother... rationality is not a regional strength)
The United States of Mind - WSJ.com

There are about 40 states that are more 'tolerant'

Just keep your mouth shut in OR (if you have any view other than the prevalent one). Smile and look agreeable and they will go away feeling you're 'on-board'. Leave your 'Palin Power' stickers in AK.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:46 PM

252 posts, read 957,955 times
Many if the outer Portland suburbs (Tualatin, Wilsonville, West Linn) are more conservative, if living among your ideological ilk is important to you. The city of Portland is quite liberal, and rural Oregon is generally quite conservative.

Overall the state is left leaning in politics because many more people live in Portland and its suburbs (which are overall moderate--socially more liberal and fiscally more conservative) than in the rural areas. In the 2004 presidential elections, Oregon's Kerry voters were the most liberal in the nation and Oregon's Bush voters were the most conservative, making Oregon the most politically polarized (or politically diverse, if you prefer) state in the nation.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:48 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,103,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
As you might find.... There is some significant polarity in OR...

It is big into 'group think', and you will be better off joining the mindset of the group. (You WILL NOT win an argument (or a vote), so don't bother... rationality is not a regional strength)
The United States of Mind - WSJ.com

There are about 40 states that are more 'tolerant'

Just keep your mouth shut in OR (if you have any view other than the prevalent one). Smile and look agreeable and they will go away feeling you're 'on-board'. Leave your 'Palin Power' stickers in AK.
How sad. Sure, Portland is overwhelmingly Liberal. But you actually would suggest someone change their ideals & beliefs just to get blend in to the majority? Portland is not Stepford. Thank goodness that everyone's doesn't have that attitude. Nothing would ever change.

One needn't "keep [their] mouth shut." I've been Republican all my adult life. And I've had great and spirited debates with my Democratic friends. I don't live my life to win arguments. And any time a Republican or Conservative speaker comes to town, you can be sure there'll be protesters. If you attend such events, that might be disturbing. I don't. But I think all the protesters just look stupid ... and that's coming from a child of the 60's.

The only down-side to living in Portland as a Republican is knowing that I'm less likely to have political representation from my district that matches my political party. It doesn't make them bad people, or make my representation poor.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,634 posts, read 57,661,644 times
I definately haven't changed my ideals and beliefs, that is CORE stuff from growing up on the prairie and being educated under eastern Europeans as an apprentice + strong family heritage. I just am learning to 'choose-my-battles', tho I'm never one to back down where it is essential to take a stand. I'm also willing and frequently participate in charged debates, but since I enjoy the freedom of living 'next-door' I don't raise a political or ideology debate with my neighbors. I have enough on my hands over here (WA) getting my unrepresented political needs in front of my legislators, and trying to keep my weasel governor from joining 'lock-step' with the left coast. (AK excluded)

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 04-04-2009 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: Use DM for moderation issues

Old 04-05-2009, 08:28 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,691,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
That sounds a lot like my current situation, except I'm a liberal living in the Southeast. Basically I just never tell anyone about any of my political beliefs, while they talk about theirs all the time. I'm not in the mood to constantly have my family and coworkers argue with me and look down upon me because I think differently, so I just keep quiet. It get's very, very old, and is one of the many reasons I hope to eventually move somewhere more like Portland. I don't think I would intentionally move to a place that was dominated by the opposite political beliefs as mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland