Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 04:51 PM

14 posts, read 55,633 times

Advertisements

Hi There,

Does anyone know of a way to get a Portland P.O. Box or mailing address if you live in another state and cannot come to Portland to present ID? (other than having a local friend do it for you?)

We're looking to relocate and have found that most employers dismiss resumes from out of towners and are trying to make it to the top of the pile (and in this economic climate we can't risk moving there without having a job first)

Thanks for any tips!
Kate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 04:59 PM

109 posts, read 319,216 times
I can't really give you information about how to get a PO box, but I can agree with you that your resume will get tossed without a local address. My husband searched for months from out of state, nothing. We moved to PDX and he had multiple interviews within a few weeks. You do have to consider the fact though that if an employer asks you to come by tomorrow for an interview now you could have to either drop everything and get on an airplane, or risk being caught in a lie on your resume. Good luck though!

Old 04-15-2009, 05:03 PM

716 posts, read 2,816,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katelain View Post
Hi There,

Does anyone know of a way to get a Portland P.O. Box or mailing address if you live in another state and cannot come to Portland to present ID? (other than having a local friend do it for you?)

We're looking to relocate and have found that most employers dismiss resumes from out of towners and are trying to make it to the top of the pile (and in this economic climate we can't risk moving there without having a job first)

Thanks for any tips!
Kate

Contact a UPS store and sign up for a mail box service. I don't think you have to do it in person.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly12103 View Post
I can't really give you information about how to get a PO box, but I can agree with you that your resume will get tossed without a local address. My husband searched for months from out of state, nothing. We moved to PDX and he had multiple interviews within a few weeks. You do have to consider the fact though that if an employer asks you to come by tomorrow for an interview now you could have to either drop everything and get on an airplane, or risk being caught in a lie on your resume. Good luck though!
Thanks for the helpful story... it's always nice to know you're not alone/crazy.

My husband is the one looking for work first (his field is harder to get into than mine...) and he is presently self employed so we've already committed to that whole drop everything and fly up the next day concept. he can actually pull it off so, we're good there!

Thanks again!

Old 04-15-2009, 05:06 PM

666 posts, read 1,843,506 times
Try The UPS Store. They have a mailbox service which gives you a local physical address. And since they are national, you may be able to go in to a local office to set it up. Call a Portland UPS Store and ask what it would take to set it up from out of state. They may require notarization on a remote application, but since most UPS Stores have notaries on the premises, it shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: seems a few of us had the same idea at the same time

Old 04-16-2009, 11:42 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
My husband is the one looking for work first (his field is harder to get into than mine...)
I an curious, what is your field? I can't think of any other than maybe medical; MD, nurse, etc that would not be difficult to get into.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:27 PM

666 posts, read 1,843,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I can't think of any other than maybe medical; MD, nurse, etc that would not be difficult to get into.
Healthcare IT is doing much better than most other sectors and will continue through the end of 2011 (HIPAA mandate). While they may not be hiring many directly, contracts can be had for certain backgrounds paying in the ~$50-60 / hr range. These rates have been reduced from what they were 18 months ago. Again, this is a very specific skillset, but there is work out there.

Expect this sector to get even stronger if the president continues pressing EHR.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:46 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post
Healthcare IT is doing much better than most other sectors and will continue through the end of 2011 (HIPAA mandate). While they may not be hiring many directly, contracts can be had for certain backgrounds paying in the ~$50-60 / hr range. These rates have been reduced from what they were 18 months ago. Again, this is a very specific skillset, but there is work out there.

Expect this sector to get even stronger if the president continues pressing EHR.
Yes I didn't think of them. Also when we get some sort of Universal Health Plan in place, I will go back into the claims paying biz where I can earn a lot bigger bucks than in contract writing as I do now. For that however I will have to leave Portland which is fine with me.

I mentioned this before but I will say it again. The Legacy Health Care System has opened it's doors to any and all PPO's and different types of insurance coverage. They are getting new patients by the carload because of this. So they are hiring all kinds of medical professionals.

OHSU is just the opposite, they are cutting back on their acceptance of various coverages. They are losing patients because of it. They don't seem to care. They appear to be quite the elitist bunch. My doctor of 15 years moved over there and decided to do one of those concierge programs. I quit her immediately. If she only wants to see rich people, that's fine but that ain't me.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I an curious, what is your field? I can't think of any other than maybe medical; MD, nurse, etc that would not be difficult to get into.
I do work in the health services field, specifically mental health (but have worked in many other social service fields and have extensive office/administration experience... so basically, I can and will do a lot of different kinds of work). but the kicker is that my husband works in video editing. so while it still might be difficult for me to find a job, it is nearly impossible for him to find one!

Old 05-03-2009, 12:28 PM

17 posts, read 117,459 times
Earth Class Mail (The Ultimate PO Box, Post Office Box and Mail Forwarding Service | Earth Class Mail) is based in Beaverton, OR and will give you a local address. I've been using them for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland