Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:30 PM

22 posts, read 80,600 times

Advertisements

Please help. We have a house hunting trip coming up soon and I'm wasting so much time looking at each possible listing on Google Maps to determine whether there are sidewalks (even on one side). I've found some in Arnold Creek neighborhood. But I'm striking out elsewhere.

Is seeking additional neighborhoods in the SW area Portland area with sidewalks just futile? It just seems so un-family friendly and un-walker friendly to have so many neighborhoods with no sidewalks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 09:03 PM

32 posts, read 139,606 times
The truth is that most southwest neighborhoods do not have sidewalks. The appealing part is that a majority of streets in Southwest are curvy, hilly, tree-lined, and many have very nice views. The lack of sidewalks are generally not an issue in the residential area, but can be a danger when trying to navigate outside your neighborhood. The only time I am worried about it is when I am trying to bike with my son in a trailer. By myself, I do not have much concern.

Southwest is truly beautiful area. It really depends on what you want.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:05 PM

32 posts, read 139,606 times
Have you checked out these maps? They really allow you to navigate southwest Portland on foot and bike. Check it out!

Southwest Portland Walk & Bike Map

Old 04-28-2009, 09:08 PM

Thank you for the reply. I guess I should just stop looking at SW listings. I have a 5 year old and an almost 2 year old and part of the joys we currently share is taking a walk in our neighborhood with one on his training bike and the other on his trike. Other times one of us can do yard work in the front yard and the 5 year old can bike nearby on the sidewalk within sight. We're already looking at a smaller home given the west coast prices (compared to here), and I'm just not ready to give up having some sidewalks. What a bummer.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khunguni View Post
Have you checked out these maps? They really allow you to navigate southwest Portland on foot and bike. Check it out!

Southwest Portland Walk & Bike Map
No, I have not encountered that map yet in my research -- thanks so much! It looks like a great resource for us.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:37 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
My gracious, you wont live in the Gorgeous SW hills because of no sidewalks ? We had an amazing view,lovely big yard for playing, hillls, old growth trees, a short walk to school and our little ones learned to ride on our quiet street,free from traffic other then our newighbors. You oversee them anyway-does a sidewalk really matter ? This is a new one on me,different strokes.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:16 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
I think a sidewalk matters if you walk everywhere like I do. I really liked the beauty of the SW side when I lived there but got frustrated having to share the roads with bicycles and cars. The lack of sidewalks also is condusive to less social behavior especially among kids. True they have nice back yards in which to play but there is nothing like coming out of your house and seeing the other kids hanging around doing chalk drawings or talking or playing dolls-balls right where you can join them. (If you are another kid that is)

I found no sidewalks isolating, dangerous and kind of depressing. I love the SE side with it's sidewalks and it still has houses and yards.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
True they have nice back yards in which to play but there is nothing like coming out of your house and seeing the other kids hanging around doing chalk drawings or talking or playing dolls-balls right where you can join them. (If you are another kid that is)
This is EXACTLY the kind of neighborhood we currently live in and I'd like to find something similar. I considered the SE but since DH's job is on the SW side of the city, the added commute plus the uncertainties with the commuting situation if the Sellwood Bridge undergoes construction makes the SE side undesireable. I, too, find the lack of sidewalks kind of depressing and I just can't imagine much socializing among neighbors walking around the neighborhood when sidewalks don't exist.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:45 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times
Lair Hill has sidewalks.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:45 AM

24 posts, read 68,275 times
I totally agree with Minervah's posting. We lived in both SE and SW and sidewalks are a huge contribution to social interaction with kids and the community feel of a neighborhood. When we lived in SW, we never saw kids out. Made for a very lonely time.

There are areas in Beaverton and Lake Oswego have sidewalks but I dont know if you really want to go there. I personally would not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland