U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-06-2007, 12:42 PM

48 posts, read 131,451 times

Advertisements

Originally, I grew up in Portland and had moved up to Seattle/Tacoma 8yrs ago because the job market at the time in Portland was tight and any jobs had seems to pay lower wages.

Now my parents are wanting me to come back to help them with liquidating their business (IE "Going out of Business") and trying to sell out the inventory so they can rent out the building to other businesses and retire. Our goal is to sell out everything by the end of the year and sooner the better.

After that then now what? How easy or difficult is it to get a job in the portland area? About me. I am an architetural draftsman been doing this for almost 10yrs and looking to expand my career towards IT OR into doing other construction work. Two attractive features of moving back to Portalnd are that I have friends & family/relatives there AND the housing market is still more reasonable in the area and need to buy something before it become expensive as it is in Seattle. I found that for $275,000 I can still get A HOUSE with land underneath whereas in most places in Seattle it's a 1br 1ba condo. or 2br 1ba condo if I am lucky. On the job front I can almost instantly get a job in a matter of weeks in Seattle or two weeks in one instance during the spring of '01 where in Portland it would take at least 2months before I get a job offer. That was in the 90's but now in the 2000's how much has changed? What are the basis of economy in the Portland area? How diverse is the economy there besides Nike, Tektronix, and Intel? Can I expect a quick turn-around or should I consider moving back to Seattle or down to Phoenix because, well, jobs are hard to come by in Portland? Could that be necessary?

If anybody are looking for drafting help or have any input on the career choice PLEASE I am all ears. Oh and I also noticed that the wages are lower in Portland then Seattle but then wouldn't that be relative to cost of living? It seems to be the case in Phoenix & Tucson too?

They say that Vancouver, WA has a storng job market? If that's the case what's driving the job market up there?

Anyway I am just trying to figure out the feasiblity in staying in Portland after my parents' business closes and they retire. Any comments would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 02:22 AM

1 posts, read 6,137 times
Default Still looking for work in Portland?

We are in the need of a draftsman to complete construction drawings for permits.Please reply to [EMAILMod cut, no emails] if you are interested

Last edited by Waterlily; 01-23-2008 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: no email addresses

Old 01-23-2008, 06:17 PM

1,018 posts, read 2,682,543 times
The housing slump might affect drafting/construction industry even in the supposedly-insulated PDX area. But commercial/govt construction seems to be progressing fine.

I found a new job (not your industry) this past summer in the matter of a couple months. Compared to the job search prior to that (D/FW area) it took far less inquiries to get a similar number of interviews and offers. But a lot has changed in the past few months with the potential recession.

Lesser salaries probably do have something to do with lesser cost of living, but I will say I was surprised by the salary levels in PDX, and not in a good way. At best, equal to, but generally, measurably less than D/FW which has a far cheaper cost of living. I don't think salaries in PDX have caught up to the house price jump of the past couple years.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:22 AM

11 posts, read 24,336 times
I don't think that the job market in any popular city is great in this economy. The Pacific NW is actually predicted to have greater long-term job growth than many other areas of the country. As someone who is looking to relocate to Portland from Denver, I've found that the job market in Portland is no worse than in Denver.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:29 AM

1,136 posts, read 2,343,721 times
Just curious if anyone who recently moved from California or other state has any comparison on how much more difficult or easy it was to find a job in Portland, and were wages comparable for your industry? I keep hearing that Portland is hard to find a job too. I used to work there for a company who I know I can go back to, but when I left and moved to Cal. I am making about 50% more doing the same thing than I was there. I'm in electronics manufacturing industry - sales. I know it would be less there, but I don't think it should be that much less. The company I worked for was way out in the middle of nowhere though, so I really have no comparison for areas like Beaverton/Tigard etc where other tech ccompanies are.
My friend just moved back there (My sister and I and her all left same time about 10 years ago, and are all coming home soon) and she is having a hard time even finding a job at all.
Any feedback from other out of staters?

Old 01-28-2008, 03:21 PM

470 posts, read 1,190,281 times
I took a 17K pay cut from my salary in CA, I'm an advisor in higher education. I really wanted to live here, so I am tolerating it. Fewer taxes are coming out of my check, so it's not quite as much of a drop as I expected.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:33 AM

129 posts, read 384,844 times
I think it really depends on the industry you work in. I work in an industry where I make $40+ per hour regardless of where I live. People gripe alot about the job market, and have for years but I don't think that's accurate. The question is far too broad. People take newspaper headlines, and newspaper listings as the "indicator". I don't think that means it applies to you. For example I live in an area that has a terrible job market, but nobody finds out until they move here...then, too late. It's in California. People think jobs are falling out of trees in San Francisco, but that's not true. My understanding is that alot of people are moving to Portland, so that skews the statistics. I live in a town that has a pop. of 10,000 and people are saying the job market is fine here. Not true, as more people are leaving than moving in, our commercial real estate is only 50% occupied due to outrageous rent costs. Factor in everything.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:38 PM

22 posts, read 49,933 times
I totally agree, Cat_person, people have to do their research and not listen to every headline from ABC news et al.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland