Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,899 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

My Husband and I are from Tampa, Florida. I am still in Tampa but my Husband is in Portland working, I will be meeting him there in a month or so. He is trying to find an apartment, which is difficult to do especially when you are totally familiar with the area.

For anyone who may be from Tampa, we lived and really loved South Tampa. South Tampa is pretty different from the rest of Tampa. There are lots of local restaurants and shops, and lots of pretty cute urban neighborhoods.

We keep going back and forth from trying to find an apartment in the NW or Pearl District, to something a little more neighborhood-like (we were thinking Hawthorne).

My Husband saw an apartment yesterday that he loved and it looked really nice to me too (he took pics) - I am just concerned about the neighborhood. NW Flanders and 4th avenue is the address - can anyone tell me if this is a decent neighborhood? I don't want to be afraid to walk the dog at night by myself.....

Thanks in advance for advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 11:58 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
That's Chinatown, about midway between the Pearl district and the homeless shelter cluster on Burnside. My favorite Chinese restaurant is one block away, at 4th and Everett (Golden Horse Seafood). It's definitely an urban neighborhood. I don't know what it's like to walk the dog at night there. Maybe your husband could wander around the area at night and see what he thinks?

Old 05-14-2009, 04:00 PM

914 posts, read 4,445,177 times
Personally, that would not be my favorite place to live, and it isn't very "neighborhood", much more commercial. I don't know that I would feel the safest walking around by myself. It also isn't very far from a soup kitchen, so there are a lot of homeless about. You will also hear the the trains from the train station a few blocks away. (Also very close to the bus station. Bus stations can be sketchy)

Of course, you would be oh-so-close to the lovely Chinese Gardens!

Old 05-14-2009, 04:18 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
I noticed a couple condos for rent at the Portland Plaza on Craig's list recently. Then there was another rental in a house behind Portland State that looked very nice.. the name Molly was in the ad, if that helps. I don't know any of these folks, but I do know close-in west Portland very well. I have no concerns about those locations, although the Portland Plaza doesn't have a real sense of 'neighborhood'. The units up on the hill behind Uptown usually mean a lot of stair climbing. Prime rentals in NW Portland (west of NW 20th to Forrest Park) are not easy to find as the residents network like crazy - not that they can't be found, it just takes a lot of work.

In the neighborhood called Goose Hollow, near the Multnomah Athletic Club, there are a couple older apartment buildings worthy of consideration. I didn't catch whether or not you have a dog... THAT may be an issue, however, I wouldn't hesitate to walk a dog in the evening in that neighborhood.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:53 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I live in the Hawthorne area and love it to pieces. It has everything including the oppurtunity for me not to have to own car.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:03 PM

10 posts, read 57,905 times
Is Hawthorne in between the Pearl and Chinatown?

Old 05-18-2009, 09:20 AM

109 posts, read 319,351 times
I would stay away from living in or near Chinatown at all costs. If you want to be on the West side of the river downtown check out near PSU, Pearl, or NW.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:41 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow08 View Post
Is Hawthorne in between the Pearl and Chinatown?

Hawthorne District is in southeast Portland. You would need to take Ross Island Bridge, Hawthorne Bridge, or Morrison Bridge to get to this area. It is my favorite area of Portland, eclectic, lots of cute shops, beautiful architecture and homes. As already mentioned, the transportation system is easy to access here to dowtown, etc.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:45 PM

26 posts, read 58,375 times
I agree with those that suggest staying away from Chinatown. On the West Side, you might like the Multnomah Village Area. Also, on that side of town there are some nice areas near the Macadam Avenue area and on the East Side you might like looking at the apartments near the Lloyd Center and also the Sellwood area.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:53 AM

10 posts, read 57,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Hawthorne District is in southeast Portland. You would need to take Ross Island Bridge, Hawthorne Bridge, or Morrison Bridge to get to this area. It is my favorite area of Portland, eclectic, lots of cute shops, beautiful architecture and homes. As already mentioned, the transportation system is easy to access here to dowtown, etc.
Hi lilypad,

Thanks. I've just come back from Portland after almost 3 weeks.
Walked all over the city including Hawthorne district and then took the bus when I got tired from too much walking. The city is small enough to walk around in general. The Hawthorne district appeared have have had better days though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland