U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 02:13 PM

286 posts, read 480,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
...Is there really anything much more beautiful than strolling through the mist-covered rhodadendrons and massive fir trees on a rainy morning?
Yes, strolling through the rhododendrons and massive fir trees under a cobalt blue sky sunny morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
...The malaise and effete indifference of the place is stifling...
As opposed to what, macho activism?!?

And btw, I’ve seen more political involvement and protests in the short two years I’ve been here than in any other place I’ve lived.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 08:59 PM

14,743 posts, read 30,069,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
This used to be the case. In the last decade, Oregon has lost the title to Vermont. Across America, "none of the above" is the fastest growing religious movement. I don't know if the recession has changed things. People often seek solace in superstition when times are tough.
I believe it. From the little I've seen of Vermont, and the lot I've heard of it, it seems to have the same vibe. Lots of Subarus in Vermont, too. People from New England make the move to the PNW easily, too. In fact, look at how many noted OR cities are named after places in New England...Portland, Salem, Medford...

Old 04-03-2012, 12:51 PM

6,466 posts, read 12,113,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I believe it. From the little I've seen of Vermont, and the lot I've heard of it, it seems to have the same vibe. Lots of Subarus in Vermont, too. People from New England make the move to the PNW easily, too. In fact, look at how many noted OR cities are named after places in New England...Portland, Salem, Medford...
Which in turn are taken from other countries, Isle of Portland, Salem (mentioned in Genesis 14:18, as an alternate name for Jerusalem) and Medford Egypt.

On the other hand there are plenty of places that have wholly unique Oregon names, such as, Antelope, Yellow Dog, Sailors Diggings (renamed to Waldo,) Bakeoven, and Greenhorn, Lamonta, Estacada (http://www.hamell.net/2010/08/history-of-estacada-faraday-and-cazadero-oregon/ - broken link), and Bridal Veil.

Then of course there are the multitude of places that were named after early residents and other influential locals. Rowena, Palmer, Waldron, Ritter, Hamilton (http://www.1nova.com/photoblog/2011/07/30/ghost-town-of-hamilton-oregon/ - broken link).

Old 04-03-2012, 01:03 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,895,558 times
It would be interesting to know statistically where current Oregonians families came from. But historically speaking, the New Englanders tended to come in first (to make the money), leave their stamp upon the land with the naming of places, and move on. I'm really not sure how many of them stayed. At least, that's true of the Portland city fathers.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:36 PM

5 posts, read 14,461 times
Default Another PDX Plus

The poster failed to give much gloss to Portland's mass trans. It really is very well organized. Seattle would love to have such a system. Just visiting, it is a breeze to get around- and mostly free.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:46 PM

21,697 posts, read 25,089,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX2WA View Post
The poster failed to give much gloss to Portland's mass trans. It really is very well organized. Seattle would love to have such a system. Just visiting, it is a breeze to get around- and mostly free.

Mostly free? You must have done all your traveling downtown on either the streetcar or MAX. The only free zone, and that will be changing, is downtown up to the end where the zone one ends along all the various routes.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:10 AM

6,413 posts, read 10,895,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Mostly free? You must have done all your traveling downtown on either the streetcar or MAX. The only free zone, and that will be changing, is downtown up to the end where the zone one ends along all the various routes.
Most visitors aren't going to travel much out of the central area.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:08 PM

6 posts, read 57,529 times
Thanks you for the witty information you have posted. With my intuition of wating to move here for years, then reading your post, I have now changed my mind. I think I will visit and stay put in another part of Oregon for now.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:39 PM

67 posts, read 174,019 times
Default Vibrations

Vermont (or small parts of it anyway, Brattleboro, Burlington) have a similar vibe but less-organized and on a smaller scale. Tons of Subarus in VT yes (4wd) but when I lived there long ago, the State Car was the Saab 900. I was told by a Bratt local (who had found my lost wallet, located my Spokane library card, called the library, got my cell phone number, and called me to return the wallet!) that there was some kind of underground railroad between Seattle (no doubt PDX too) and Brattleboro with lots of people moving in both directions all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

Old 04-14-2012, 02:14 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,386,578 times
Interesting. I think Multnomah Village could be a doppelganger for Brattleboro. Environmental initiatives and organic farming are also very important to Vermonters. Then again, I guess we always see parts of things we recognize in a new place, no matter where we are from.

I would also posit that the PNW and New England share a more "reserved" social culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or