Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2007, 12:00 AM

3 posts, read 6,928 times

Advertisements

Hello-
This is the first time we have sold a house. We listed with a realtor and have had our home on the market for going on 3 weeks now. Thus far we have had minimal interest in our home. We have an upcoming open house our realtor is holding and have lowered our price a little. We also bumped up the percentage the selling realtor will earn.
Does anyone have any advice for us to sell our home quickly? We have had spring break and now with Easter weekend almost over, we are hoping it will start picking up. I'm just nervous and haven't been through this process before. Maybe just a little more patience is what I need. If there is something more we can do to make our home more marketable, I want to do that.
Thanks,
Kareboo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 11:01 AM

85 posts, read 644,112 times
Default Selling a home

I don't think three weeks is that long to have your home on the market right now.

However, on the HGTV show "Designed to Sell", they always suggest making your house look bigger by clearing out extra furniture, clutter and personal items. Also, repainting if you have any outdated or too exciting colors on your walls. Keep all kitchen and bathroom counters clear so it looks like there's plenty of room and storage.

Good luck!

Old 04-08-2007, 01:37 PM

3 posts, read 6,928 times
Default thanks for the advice

We did just do alot of work to clear out our house. Basically moved half out in boxes and repainted many rooms. I suppose three weeks isn't too long. My husband though is frustrated with our realtor and thinks that he could be doing more to market our home. We would love to get some more realtors thorugh our home. They would make good money if they sold it. Maybe things will pick up this week.
Kareboo

Old 04-08-2007, 04:32 PM

47 posts, read 127,501 times
Hi-

We've owned two homes so far, and both sold within a month. I think part of our success is that we removed a lot of our personal "clutter", made sure it was spotless, and added "homey" touches when we knew people were going to be looking at the home, like fresh flowers. Try to add something to the outside of the home for curb appeal, maybe some flowers or potted plants......

You may have already done these things, try to watch "Sell this house" on A&E, they also have good ideas on "staging" your home.
3 weeks isn't long IMHO, the market should be picking up soon for summer, good luck and hang in there!! :-)

BTW - what is the MLS #, is it on RMLS? We're relocating to your area, you never know LOL!!! :-)

Old 04-09-2007, 06:53 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,433,485 times
I would make my home look as good as possible, even if you have to take alot of your things and store them, do it~ Paint, do some unexpensive upgrades, put incentives in like a home warrantly, offer cash assitance at closing, paint walls that are pink and etc a neutal tone...if carpet is old, put in low priced but new clean carpeting. Make it a model home and keep it extremely clean, add flowers, look for curb appeal and food and pet odors, seriously if your home is model perfect it will sell so much faster, sold two homes and I can tell you, I learned what to do, really quick and it works! Stastics also show in a buyers market, that you should have incentives! We are also going to do this ourselves, I know, its a pain to really do this, but your home can beat the competition is it stands out as more cared for and it you decorate it some with(yellos)flowers and something in the oven, music (low) playing in the background. Best of luck to you!

Old 04-15-2007, 09:08 PM

4 posts, read 8,573 times
Default Isn't this a Slow Time of the Year to Sell?

I think the market picks up as summer approaches. A lot of people move then, particularly, after Mother's Day. I've heard from friends who are buying that they want to do it soon, before the interest rates go up.

I'm putting my house in the market in June. I'm definitely hiring a real estate stager to give the house the right look. The quotes I've gotten are for between $250-350.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:16 PM

6 posts, read 10,268 times
Default selling your home

Hang in there it that time of year the market is just starting to pick up again. 3 weeks is not bad for right now.

Good luck!

Last edited by johnson28; 04-15-2007 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: wrong info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: