Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 01:48 AM

2 posts, read 5,081 times

Advertisements

Ok, so as far as i know, im the first native portlander (beaverton area to be exact) to make a post on this thread. i have lived here my entire life (22 years to be exact) and only have visited 3 different states. (2 of which being on the west coast, cali and washington) and in all honesty i want out. my personal opinion about it is that oregon is very beautiful in nature, however it rains 75-80% of the time and growing up here wasn't the best. Not to say that it was hard, just the very insular attitude is apparent in school as well and its tough to actually make good friends. Don't get me wrong, portland does have its own signatures that you cant find in any other place, however. Even as a native i don't see how anyone would want to come to portland outside of it being clean and less "busy". From my experience, the people are of course very non-personable but polite (insular as everyone is calling it) which really does not make anyone here (portland) stand out. from what i understand, New yorkers are typically frowned upon for being blunt and downright rude to some people... honestly from someone who has grown up with everyone sugar coating everything for me, id rather have someone be upfront for once. I honestly dream one day of visiting or even moving to the east coast, only because things are so stagnant here to the point where it's depressing. there are also other factors such as oregon currently being one of the highest ranking unemployed states. I hope this rant hasn't gone on for too long, just trying to give some perspective, as it is really interesting for me to see what others (especially east-coasters) say about portland. One last thing about delivery... portland at least has some really good restaurants that deserve to be visited... i like delivery/take out as much as the next person, but usually you can find good inexpensive eats here.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:59 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,283 times
Andyp, I highly recommend checking out some other places while you're young and have the chance. You might find that another city or region better suits your interests and temperament -- or you might eventually decide that Oregon is home for you, and decide to return. But you'll be better for having your horizons broadened.

NYC is a very exciting place, with unsurpassed diversity. I've spent time there and almost moved there, but in the end decided it was too fast-faced and expensive for my tastes. One of my best friends moved there and now wouldn't live anywhere else, but he admits that it takes commitment. I consider myself to be pretty culturally aware, and I never found New Yorkers to be any more rude than anyone else. "Brusque" and "straightforward" are different from "rude," and if you take them within their cultural context and don't judge them based on the standards of politeness of another culture, you'll be fine. I enjoyed having strangers strike up conversations with me on the bus, and whenever I was lost in Manhattan with my small guidebook open in my hand, someone came up to me and asked if I needed help finding some place. People are people everywhere. So if the East Coast appeals to you, give it a try.

I came from the East Coast (upstate New York and then Atlanta), and moved to Portland a dozen years ago after visiting here. For me, Portland is ideal. But I'm glad I lived other places so I could compare.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:47 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
here! Here! I too lived on the east coast and the gulf coast as well as that other other country-Alaska ; am glad I have comparisons. Maybe everyone should. Some people have wings-some have roots. I sprouted my wings and flew around before taking root in Oregon and am glad to now call it home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
I came from the East Coast (upstate New York and then Atlanta), and moved to Portland a dozen years ago after visiting here. For me, Portland is ideal. But I'm glad I lived other places so I could compare.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:53 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
Interesting thread. Yes, some have been a little harsh to the OP, but deep down some of that has a certain truth.

On the other hand, certain cities just don't "connect" with some people. In my extensive travel, and in a score of cities I have lived in, this connection simply doesn't exist. Who knows why? Could be the weather, could be a perceived notion of the friendliness of people, or could be something internal that you are dealing with. Happiness, at the end of the day, has little do to with location. Sometimes the location seems to be the problem, though.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:10 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I think New Yorkers are not so rude as they are abrupt. No passive-agressivness there. They come out and say what they think and I like that. I get along with those I meet very well and my one visit to New York was great. I met many nice people.
I grew up in Chicago and lived there until I was in my late 20's. I think Chicagoans are friendly and welcoming.
I now have many Portland friends and I do notice certain similar traits in all of them. They are all dear to me and are good friends but it did take awhile to break the barriers.
I dislike Portland for the high cost of living mostly. I also feel it's become a young person's town and I don't feel I fit in as well as I would elsewhere both socially and economically. I am also dismayed at some of the political stuff that goes on. I don't understand how the city governemnt works but I don't think it works for the majority of Portland citizens.
For me, it's time to move on which is my plan in a couple of years. I can't say I hate this town but I am ready to go elswhere. I am not unhappy in Portland but I think I could do better economically and maybe socially in a different city.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:31 PM

6 posts, read 13,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgee View Post
I moved from New York. And it's not the social scene, I don't go out to bars or clubs, I'm talking about being able to get lunch from someone that isn't Subway, or be able to get delivery.

Like I said, I think my main gripe is the people here.

im confused. You say its about the people, yet the things you mention not liking, specifically, in detail are things like lunch options. I honestly think its a combination of things. I grew up in LA and trust me I know how weird the changes are.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:45 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times
Maybe it's the relative quiet. I've only been here for a week, but I LOVE this place, and especially LOVE the people. I've had more people look me in the eye and actually talk to me here in a week than my entire stays in Boston or the northeast.

People here are genuine, I think. Not loud. And hey, the northeast has it's own thing going on up there and I have great friends that live there, but I don't think I could do it.

I had a buddy move from Austin to NY, and 3 years later he came back and was FREAKED at the feeling of being in a Suburban on a big empty-seeming road. He needed that crush of humanity and action.

Portland, to me, is more beautiful than any other place, even vacation destinations. The people are amazing.

I have not run into any frustrations with delivery, because I go to the store. And buy food. You know, for later. Put it right there in the refrigerator. Or the freezer. It's an amazing convenience.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:44 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Along with the stores where you can buy food, we also have a couple of other unique things here in Portland:

1.) Eating out at a restaurant. You go to these places that serve food, all different kinds, you sit down, preferably with others and ask the nice person that comes to your table to bring you some good food. It's really fun! (And by the way, there has been a lot of talk nationwide recently about Portland's wonderful restaurants.)

2.) Take-out. You can call most of these same restaurants and ask them to make you up a dinner that you can pick up and take home with you.

The OP complains about us being insular. Heck, nothing beats insular more than staying home alone and ordering your sustenance brought to you.

Almost all the posts on this forum remind me of the story of a group of blind people describing an elephant that they got to "see" only by touching it. Each has a completely different description of the elephant based on the part they touched - trunk, tail, tusk, hide etc. Same goes for the neighborhoods of any city of size. Portland is many different cities all in one. Just find the one that suits you. Don't like Tigard? Try Hawthorne. Don't like Lake Oswego? Try Multnomah Village. Completely different "cities" each.
Same goes for the people in Portland. Many, many different types, interests and personalities. Keep looking until you find someone you like.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:11 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
I love the people here, even more so than I love the beauty of this part of the U.S.
Maybe it's due to my southern accent (I dunno) but anyone I get a chance to speak to is so sweet and friendly and always seem to ask "where is that cute accent from?"........LOL

Old 06-11-2009, 04:46 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
This seems to have turned into a why I love Portland thread! Nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland