U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 06:40 PM

6,262 posts, read 16,975,290 times

Advertisements

which begs the question,subsound--which do you prefer? The way things are now with the 10x sized company or the way it was before in Denver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I see that a good bit too, some one sees X book you are reading, or using Y item, or talking about B thing they want to know about. Since they have now opened the conversation they now think they are now a friend. While I enjoy a good conversation, even with a stranger that can evolve into more with time, sometimes I'm just not interested in another person or a great level of intimacy is assumed that I don't appreciate (such as I had some one ask me about bus schedules, then eventually try and invite himself to dinner).

It does seem like people are harder to know in the Pac NW then what I am used to in Denver. After a year in my current position I have only really seen my coworkers at work functions. In Denver we were going out to happy hours, have groups to go to lunches, help out with home stuff (water heater, painting a house, moving). I am not sure how much of it is area or the fact I am at a much larger company (almost 10x).

Old 06-17-2009, 11:59 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,495,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
which begs the question,subsound--which do you prefer? The way things are now with the 10x sized company or the way it was before in Denver?
Not sure, maybe in between would be perfect...nice to be included in groups but gets frustrating when your constantly being asked to help out.

Of course, that might mean I end up somewhere in Utah...and I enjoy my scotch and my coffee too much to be Mormon.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:49 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,034,937 times
Quote:
I see that a good bit too, some one sees X book you are reading, or using Y item, or talking about B thing they want to know about. Since they have now opened the conversation they now think they are now a friend. While I enjoy a good conversation, even with a stranger that can evolve into more with time, sometimes I'm just not interested in another person or a great level of intimacy is assumed that I don't appreciate (such as I had some one ask me about bus schedules, then eventually try and invite himself to dinner).

It does seem like people are harder to know in the Pac NW then what I am used to in Denver. After a year in my current position I have only really seen my coworkers at work functions. In Denver we were going out to happy hours, have groups to go to lunches, help out with home stuff (water heater, painting a house, moving). I am not sure how much of it is area or the fact I am at a much larger company (almost 10x).
Those are both interesting observations. I wonder if I'm perceived as one of those "difficult to get to know" people. I'm very open, approachable, and friendly, and I enjoy talking with people, but I'm also an introvert. It's easy for a stranger to pull me into a conversation, but I'm far less likely to initiate one. I almost always have a good time at social events when I force myself to go, but I usually prefer to spend quiet evenings at home with my wife. I'm happy with my few good friends and don't need a lot of casual acquaintances. One of my grown stepsons is the complete opposite--he's Mr. Sociable and would hang out with groups of his friends 24/7 if it were possible. I wonder if the PNW, with its climate, tends to attract a disproportionate number of introverts. Someone once told me, though, that the reason for Northerwesterners' cool politeness is that the region was settled by Scandinavians and Midwesterners, both of which are known for being reserved.

As for corporate environments, I've worked for several companies in Portland and have found no consistency. At one company, everyone came in, did their jobs, and went home, with almost no lunchtime or after-work socializing. I had one buddy there who started at the same time I did, and we hung out together, but we never did anything with anyone else in the year we were there. My current company has a core group of people who socialize with each other--primarily single twenty- and thirty-somethings. I've done things with them and probably would do more if I weren't married, 50, and introverted.

The same seems to be true ofneighborhoods here: my wife and I have lived in a suburb of Beaverton for 10 years, and our neighbors tend to keep to themselves. They're polite, but we haven't been able to make friends with any of them (and we've tried). On the other hand, we have friends in an older NE Portland neighborhood, and they're friends with several of their neighbors. They help each other out, watch each other's houses, and so on, and we've become friends with that group. One couple who moved there says that their former neighborhood was like ours--people didn't like to associate with each other. It's a mystery.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:14 PM

LOL@you!!

Quote:
Not sure, maybe in between would be perfect...nice to be included in groups but gets frustrating when your constantly being asked to help out.

Of course, that might mean I end up somewhere in Utah...and I enjoy my scotch and my coffee too much to be Mormon.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:01 PM

10 posts, read 23,621 times
Default portland

I actually live in Seattle, but I've been to Portland a buhzillion times

What I like:

1. Zoning anarchy: Bars, restaurants, coffee shops, and tea houses smack in the middle of residential areas. Particularly true in SE Portland around the Laurelhurst/Belmont area.

2. Tiht-tee bars that you can get a damn beer in. Can't get a lap dance unfortunately

3. Very community-centric feeling to specific neighborhoods and overall much less corporate than Seattle.

4. Rail system.

5. Powell's, Ozone records, and that Lebanese joint on the south side of the Burnside bridge (damned if I can remember the name of it)

What I don't like:

1. How the fsck do you make any money in this town? I mean, jobs that would be near 6-figure in Seattle are like $15 an hour in Portland. Waiters do better than this.

2. The "Portland Uniform": black/brown/navy blue khakis, some random 2nd hand t-shirt, a black beanie, clear glasses, and chuck taylors. Oh, also riding some piece of schitt schwin bicycle from the 70's. Seriously, you guys take the "indie" thing way too $@$#@ far. It's retarded. I'm a Seattle native and I am saying this.

3. You guys couldn't be original, you just had to $@#$#@ follow everyone else and institute smoking bans in bars didn't you? I don't smoke regularly, but I do enjoy one or two with a few beers (10 counts as a "few" right?) every now and again. This was one thing I used to appreciate about Portland: surgeon general not completely up your ass. Bang-up Job dihckheads, you've officially ruined The Kennedy School (McMenamins).

4. When did being a homeless/jobless loser become cool? Did I miss a memo? I can't even tell you how many parties I've been to in Portland where the guy with the best chance of getting laid lived in a friggin van.

Last edited by thedaneurysm; 07-27-2009 at 05:17 PM..

Old 07-27-2009, 05:41 PM

9,972 posts, read 14,037,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedaneurysm View Post

2. The "Portland Uniform": black/brown/navy blue khakis, some random 2nd hand t-shirt, a black beanie, clear glasses, and chuck taylors. Oh, also riding some piece of schitt schwin bicycle from the 70's. Seriously, you guys take the "indie" thing way too $@$#@ far. It's retarded. I'm a Seattle native and I am saying this.

3. You guys couldn't be original, you just had to $@#$#@ follow everyone else and institute smoking bans in bars didn't you? I don't smoke regularly, but I do enjoy one or two with a few beers (10 counts as a "few" right?) every now and again. This was one thing I used to appreciate about Portland: surgeon general not completely up your ass. Bang-up Job dihckheads, you've officially ruined The Kennedy School (McMenamins).

4. When did being a homeless/jobless loser become cool? Did I miss a memo? I can't even tell you how many parties I've been to in Portland where the guy with the best chance of getting laid lived in a friggin van.
#2-It is kind of retarded that you are from Seattle and saying this...Yeah no one in Seattle dresses like that. LOL

#3-Once again this isn't specific to Portland. We just copied Washington and California on this one. At least we held out a couple more years than Washington.

#4-You're apparently going to the wrong parties. Come out to the Pearl or NW and you can hang out with all the young upwardly mobile types trying to live a six-figure lifestyle on a five-figure salary.

Alright, I guess actually sort of agree in spirit with what you're saying, especially about the Portland job market. It's just an automatic reaction at this point that I feel I need to retort the Seattllite putdowns of Portland. As I actually have as many friends in Seattle as I do in Portland, that's fairly often. And I love both cities…even though Vancouver, BC is way better than both.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:22 PM

2,316 posts, read 6,701,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedaneurysm View Post

What I like:

1. Zoning anarchy: Bars, restaurants, coffee shops, and tea houses smack in the middle of residential areas. Particularly true in SE Portland around the Laurelhurst/Belmont area.

3. Very community-centric feeling to specific neighborhoods and overall much less corporate than Seattle.

What I don't like:

1. How the fsck do you make any money in this town? I mean, jobs that would be near 6-figure in Seattle are like $15 an hour in Portland. Waiters do better than this.

Dislike #2: Seattle is passive and watered-down in many ways, but Portland is hardcore. See also your 1st and 3rd "likes." Anarchy and the community feeling are related to this "indie" thing. So it makes sense. Plus, it makes us unique, you know? Or...

Dislike #3: ...even if we're not unique, it doesn't hurt to copy a good idea. I personally hate tobacco smoke. It kills people frequently, you know. I want to enjoy a bar without breathing in cancer. Good for Oregon!

All that said, I did the Portland thing and I'm done with it for now. And I do love Seattle. I might move up there after this year to transfer to UDub... But finances will probably keep me in Oregon until school's done and then it's probably north for me since your dislike #1 is something about Portland that confounds me as well.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:22 PM

3,022 posts, read 4,383,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Dislike #2: Seattle is passive and watered-down in many ways, but Portland is hardcore. See also your 1st and 3rd "likes." Anarchy and the community feeling are related to this "indie" thing. So it makes sense. Plus, it makes us unique, you know? Or...

Dislike #3: ...even if we're not unique, it doesn't hurt to copy a good idea. I personally hate tobacco smoke. It kills people frequently, you know. I want to enjoy a bar without breathing in cancer. Good for Oregon!

All that said, I did the Portland thing and I'm done with it for now. And I do love Seattle. I might move up there after this year to transfer to UDub... But finances will probably keep me in Oregon until school's done and then it's probably north for me since your dislike #1 is something about Portland that confounds me as well.
I agree...Im a tobacco hater. I am unfortunate at this time to be living in an apartment after years of living in a home (not for much longer however), and the neighbor next to me smokes on his back terrace, and the smoke fills my home. I have to keep all the windows closed. I asked him to stop, he did, but now the neighbors below me are smoking there way into my air. I wish the law would extend to all apartments.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:33 AM

6 posts, read 11,960 times
Default It's not just Portland, it's Oregon

I can relate to jgee. I have been in Oregon for 5 years, and even though Salem is a lot different than Portland (probably worse) I still can't make myself really like the place.
Why? I am from the East Coast and I know we can be abrasive, but at least you know where you stand with people. Here, I don't think people are truly genuine; maybe it's the fear of being locked up since that seems to be prevalent here. People allow others to invade their space and most don't seem to stand up for themselves.
Too many teenage girls having babies and thinking this is a status symbol. Why do these young women think showing their rolls of fat is sexy or cute? I just don't get it.
Personally, I think I'd rather be in Portland; more to do and see and better restaurants.
The politics here suck and this state seems to want to make most of it's reveue from Prisons.
I could go on and on but this is enough for now. If you're in Portland, make the best of it cause it's way better than Salem.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deldena View Post
I can relate to jgee. I have been in Oregon for 5 years, and even though Salem is a lot different than Portland (probably worse) I still can't make myself really like the place.
Why? I am from the East Coast and I know we can be abrasive, but at least you know where you stand with people. Here, I don't think people are truly genuine; maybe it's the fear of being locked up since that seems to be prevalent here. People allow others to invade their space and most don't seem to stand up for themselves.
Too many teenage girls having babies and thinking this is a status symbol. Why do these young women think showing their rolls of fat is sexy or cute? I just don't get it.
Personally, I think I'd rather be in Portland; more to do and see and better restaurants.
The politics here suck and this state seems to want to make most of it's reveue from Prisons.
I could go on and on but this is enough for now. If you're in Portland, make the best of it cause it's way better than Salem.
huh?
Fear of being locked up? where? and ....why?
the teen mom issue is everywhere and I mean everywhere !!!!

I don't understand people staying somewhere they dislike so much. Roads lead in so many different directions and to so many different places.
Attitudes follow you though,no matter where you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or