Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 01:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,831 times

Advertisements

I had a year lease that expired and am now renting a house on a month to month basis. When I switched to the month to month I asked what I needed to do when I was ready to move out. I was told that the lease runs from the 1st to the 1st so I needed to give at least a 30-day notice but that if I did so on the 20th I would be obligated to stay to the end to following month. I gave my notice by email on the 12th and was told by regular mail a few days later I had to be out by the 12th of the following month. I contacted the landlord and said "no" I need to stay until the 31st. They told me they already had someone moving in on the 17th even though the website they maintain showed the home still available. Today they called me and again insisted I be out by the 12th. The house still shows as available and I was told it will until they get a deposit from the new tenant. I was told they will move my stuff if I stay after the 12th. Can they do this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 11:38 AM

716 posts, read 2,817,739 times
Without a lease, rental terms revert to month to month.

Month to month rental terms require a 30 day notice to the landlord. The 30 days notice doesn't extend the time to the end of the actual calender month.

Rights and Duties of Landlords

If your items are not removed within 30 days of your notice, the landlord can start the process to declare your good abandoned after which time he can store or sell them as long as he goes through the correct steps.

When Tenants Leave Belongings Behind

It would be best to have a meeting with the landlord or the landlord and new tenents to get this worked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland