U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 11:12 PM

981 posts, read 1,838,623 times

Advertisements

On a recent Portland trip I only witnessed 3 or 4 cars with ghetto rims and only heard one stupid boom car. And the bass wasn't half as loud as the garbage forced on people throughout the Sacramento area. I also only saw/heard one or two Harleys with loud pipes. Were these weekday observations a fluke?

I mostly hung out in a rectangle bounded by Gladstone St., 50th Ave. and Burnside St., all the way through downtown. I checked out MLK Blvd. and it seemed better than your typical city's MLK. I did see some questionable types but they were mostly homeless. It was good to see so many people on bikes; a culture of conservation and fitness.

But two days wasn't enough to get an angle on the whole city. In the back of my mind I knew I'd eventually hear boom, boOM, BOOM coming from dreg cars somewhere in Multnomah County. Correct assumption?

Can someone advise on neighborhoods to avoid if one expects peace and quiet by default vs. something you have to haggle over with property managers and police? I would like to know this about the more affordable areas, as I am not a yuppie ($35-40k recent earnings).

I read that when you get into the 80+ avenues east of the city, or out toward Gresham you start seeing more attitudes and noise. But I drove through Gresham and it seemed calm and nicely rural (hard to know from a road glimpse). What about the southeast pocket bounded by 205, 224 and the river?

Thanks for any honest, non-PC info.

[

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 07-05-2009 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 12:19 AM

77 posts, read 236,794 times
First off Portland doesnt have many ghettos. And even if you hear cars with subs in them it doesnt mean your in a bad nieghborhood. For instance I live in a white suburb and theres a lot of white kids who are harmless and have subs.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:43 AM

333 posts, read 694,075 times
Just going on what I hear on the news Gresham and surrounding areas have some issues. I do find that the beautiful greenery can mask a lot. The neighborhood I'm in now is pretty good, but it's not nearly as good as I thought it was when I chose it. All I could see were beautiful trees and plants after coming from a land of concrete. If you make $40K a year you can afford an apartment anywhere in the city - it's really up to you. I'd say look for what type of neighborhood you want rather than what you don't want. It'll save you time and you might avoid that problem of ending up with what you were trying to avoid...I speak from experience on that one

Old 07-05-2009, 08:24 AM

3,286 posts, read 4,928,390 times
I think if you get a place in close in Southwest or Southeast Portland you'll find what you are looking for. Hawthorne, Woodstock, Sellwood, Burlington, Multnomah Village, Hillsdale would be places to check out.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:31 AM

3,286 posts, read 4,928,390 times
Start with this map and move it right, left and down to see some close-in neighborhoods. Then google crime maps for some stats on the different areas.

map portland oregon - Google Maps

This is a newsletter for the Hillsdale area so you can get a feel for it. There may be similar pubs for other areas but I don know what they're called.

Homepage

Old 07-05-2009, 10:59 AM

Default boom-scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm93 View Post
First off Portland doesnt have many ghettos. And even if you hear cars with subs in them it doesnt mean your in a bad nieghborhood. For instance I live in a white suburb and theres a lot of white kids who are harmless and have subs.
There is nothing "harmless" about noise pollution when it invades your private living space. Lots of these "kids" think they're innocent but they're belligerent little punks when you ask them to turn it down. Anyone who broadcasts their bass into living quarters is a plague on society. It's not music, it's an ego trip, often associated with drugs and property crime.

If you can tell me where these "kids" hang out you'll be helping a lot.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:01 AM

Default specifics, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprightly View Post
Just going on what I hear on the news Gresham and surrounding areas have some issues. I do find that the beautiful greenery can mask a lot. The neighborhood I'm in now is pretty good, but it's not nearly as good as I thought it was when I chose it. All I could see were beautiful trees and plants after coming from a land of concrete. If you make $40K a year you can afford an apartment anywhere in the city - it's really up to you. I'd say look for what type of neighborhood you want rather than what you don't want. It'll save you time and you might avoid that problem of ending up with what you were trying to avoid...I speak from experience on that one
Well, I was hoping for specifics. I can't stay there long enough to know what's really good before moving. A map delineating known BAD areas would be very useful.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:12 AM

Default crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Start with this map and move it right, left and down to see some close-in neighborhoods. Then google crime maps for some stats on the different areas.

map portland oregon - Google Maps

This is a newsletter for the Hillsdale area so you can get a feel for it. There may be similar pubs for other areas but I don know what they're called.

Homepage
Good tip - crime maps - though property crimes sometimes occur in nicer areas (more bling for the thugs to steal).

Old 07-05-2009, 03:56 PM

333 posts, read 694,075 times
The reason I say think of what you want first is because it's not like there's only one good area in town...for example

- if you want alternative medicine, vegan restaurants, funky hippy stuff then the SE is your place to go. It's a big area and there are probably better pockets than others to live in and still be in that space
- if you want a more corporate type job then you want to be somewhere on the west side. If you like suburbia you might like to find a nicer part of Beaverton for example.
- then you've got the whole NW 23rd area a bit over priced but trendy, fun shops

I'm leaving out a lot, but focusing on what you want helps narrow down that big map and the crime statistics help choose within that.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:36 PM

9,594 posts, read 9,407,389 times
If it is that hard to find a place in Portland that is thug free I imagine some of the more northern states, i.e. Montana, North Dakota or Wyoming might have cities that fit a more homogenous demographic.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or