Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 05:30 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,737,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
It's always the problem, people talk up an area and have home if they can just make it to X they will be happy...then when they get there it's not all that and a hunk of cheese, so people will find the next thing that will make them happy. The cycle continues till people realize happiness is internal. Portland just happens to be one of those cities that have people starry eyed, there are a number of others.
I have an inner peace within myself here in Minnesota, but everytime I go to Portland, I feel more enriched. I don't think I'm at all starry-eyed about Portland; I love the vibe and feel I get when I'm there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 12:55 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
I have an inner peace within myself here in Minnesota, but everytime I go to Portland, I feel more enriched. I don't think I'm at all starry-eyed about Portland; I love the vibe and feel I get when I'm there.
Exactly my feelings about Eugene. And I did feel that way about Portland for a while.

I think that certain places draw a certain kind of people, and birds of a feather tend to flock together. People like to be with kindred spirits, and there are differing cultures in various parts of the country and some people feel like they belong more in one other than where they are at. Someone from the South or the Northeast or SoCal or the Midwest might feel like they "belong" in the Northwest and not feel like they "belong" in their respective region/culture.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:33 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Exactly my feelings about Eugene. And I did feel that way about Portland for a while.

I think that certain places draw a certain kind of people, and birds of a feather tend to flock together. People like to be with kindred spirits, and there are differing cultures in various parts of the country and some people feel like they belong more in one other than where they are at. Someone from the South or the Northeast or SoCal or the Midwest might feel like they "belong" in the Northwest and not feel like they "belong" in their respective region/culture.
Very good point about the "birds of a feather." But visiting a place is very different from living there. I notice one thing about many Portlanders, they are super nice to visitors because it helps our failing economy to have tourist dollars but actually moving here gets a lot more unfriendly, negative reaction.

This is my observation coming from various transplants I know who were very impressed by the way they were treated as visitors but not so much as "settlers." They do love it here here but had to struggle to be accepted by the incumbents.

Right now, all my friends were born in Oregon because those with whom I made friends who were from other states have all moved on. But after 30 plus years here, the "natives" pretty much consider me long-term.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:52 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,737,720 times
But how would they know I was a visitor? I had people approach me on the Max in nice conversation, at Pioneer Square, walking to my hotel from the Max - someone joined up with me. In any case, there are so many newbies to Portland, that I think many of them want to be friends. That being said, those who were friendly to me just in walking or sitting or whatever, had no idea I was a "visitor".

Old 07-25-2009, 05:38 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinjohn View Post
You sound like me in a way.
I have my dad who would be hard to move away from since hes the type to advise against it if I was to make a move to Portland.
Like he said, ya youll probably end up doing it when Im dead, but I dunno, I feel like I want to make the move within 3 yrs time especially since I keep hearing from people to bring a ton of money and the fact that some ppl could move back with their parents if the move to Portland is a bust for them. So Im gonna stay here in the northeast right now and get a god amount saved and maybe get my next apartment in the northeast as well and then after that take the plunge and go out to Portland.
Portland is the place I feel I need to be, but getting here just seems to be the hard part and I suspect it might take a lil while for sure.
Anyways, you sound like me since you said you feel like an adult when your away from your parents and when your with them, your like a grown child. I know the feeling and its often not a great one. I also like you have been supported by parents and the govt. But, little by little, Im working myself away from all that and looking to get even more independant. My debt is a large part of whats holding me down and staying with parents tho. And today for the first time, I might have got my first challenge on trying to depend on the government for less since SSI is penalizing me and I wont be getting much money from them. That could be a test to see how I do with far less government support as well.
Just so you know, 34 years ago this month I drove to Portland from Salt Lake City with all my worldly goods in my car. I had never been here but was sick of Salt Lake and wanted a new place to live. Well about two hours out of Portland, on I-84 it started to pour rain. It rained all they way in and as I drove I had the overwhelming feeling that I was meant to be here. I've felt that way ever since and I wish that feeling for anyone who comes here or anywhere their heart is pulling them. Funny thing too. Most of my family ended up moving here eventually. Follow your dreams wherever they lead you.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
But how would they know I was a visitor? I had people approach me on the Max in nice conversation, at Pioneer Square, walking to my hotel from the Max - someone joined up with me. In any case, there are so many newbies to Portland, that I think many of them want to be friends. That being said, those who were friendly to me just in walking or sitting or whatever, had no idea I was a "visitor".
We are talking about one time encounters vs the workplace or neighbors. Of course this does not always happen and I am speaking in generalities and observations. I find people are pretty much the same where ever I have gone.
When I went to Minneapolis this spring I met some of the nicest people I have ever encountered. When I mentioned Mpls was on my list to check out for relocation they were very helpful and encouraging. No doubt one can find similar experiences in Portland but I certainly didn't when I moved here and many of the transplants with whom I have discussed this found the same thing even in present times. It just takes time to fit in where ever one moves.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:34 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
Quote:
I wondered about that as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Just so you know, 34 years ago this month I drove to Portland from Salt Lake City with all my worldly goods in my car. I had never been here but was sick of Salt Lake and wanted a new place to live. Well about two hours out of Portland, on I-84 it started to pour rain. It rained all they way in and as I drove I had the overwhelming feeling that I was meant to be here. I've felt that way ever since and I wish that feeling for anyone who comes here or anywhere their heart is pulling them. Funny thing too. Most of my family ended up moving here eventually. Follow your dreams wherever they lead you.
wow.......wonderful post! I felt that way about the area as soon as I arrived. Like..........coming home to a place I had never been before.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:52 PM

544 posts, read 1,471,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post

Good post. I feel that my heart is there as far as where I feel I totally need to be, but on the other hand, it may take some time to move there since you gotta come to Portland with a lot of money so your held over anyhow. I dunno tho, sometihng tells me that it wouldnt take too long to get a job despite what everyone says. It seems homy enough that I can just fit right in and get lucky. I think if you choose to see a vision where the economy isnt horrible there, then it wont be as bad for you, but of course with a long period of time in thinking that way.
I feel if your heart pulls you somewhere, theres a good chance it will work out or go smoother in general.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:41 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
I also have felt the pull and home feeling while there. I can envision living there and how I would live easily. But as I am old, when I test the waters so to speak, needing a job won't be an issue for me - I'll be retired. Issues for me will be finding friends (hoping for other transplants more than anything) and making sure the winter gloom won't be an issue. I've been many times in winter but for a week at a time. I'll try it out for a month before I make any absolute decision. I also have a relative there and an old friend dating from high school so it won't be a complete desert as far as people go.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I also have felt the pull and home feeling while there. I can envision living there and how I would live easily. But as I am old, when I test the waters so to speak, needing a job won't be an issue for me - I'll be retired. Issues for me will be finding friends (hoping for other transplants more than anything) and making sure the winter gloom won't be an issue. I've been many times in winter but for a week at a time. I'll try it out for a month before I make any absolute decision. I also have a relative there and an old friend dating from high school so it won't be a complete desert as far as people go.
I think you have the right idea. If economics is not an issue for you, the world is your oyster. Even so, caution is a good idea but there is nothing like first hand experience and you don't know until you are actually living in a place if it is all you would hope it would be.

Since my main reason for wanting to move when I retire is economic, the truth is I don't give a flying fig if people embrace me or not. The important thing for me is to try and be secure enough so I never have to face the prospect of homelessness again as I did living in Portland.

I have made some good friends here after making a huge effort and I treasure them. They have been closer than family and I will miss them. No doubt I will be able to make friends where ever I move. If I could do it here, I could do it anywhere. But as I said before that is not a top priority and I wouldn't discount any place that would offer me a decent living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland