U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:50 AM

3,252 posts, read 4,822,286 times

Advertisements

So OPIY - how was your visit here? What did you do? What did you think of our fair state? Please let us know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 05:46 AM

10 posts, read 19,162 times
Oh man it was great. Sorry I didn't respond sooner but figured no one would still be interested in this thread. I spent probably two and a half days walking around downtown around the pearl dist area. I did the mt hood loop but did not go to the lodge. I took a trip to the coast which kinda sucked for me mainly because the trip there and back wasn't that good but the coast is beautiful. It's weird that it gets cooler the closer you get to your coast and hotter here. That was different to me. Henry's Tavern was some very good food and one heck of a beer selection. I also visited the rose garden and Japanese garden. I was tempted to go to Seattle but decide mt hood would be better. I did see a naked guy sleeping in the park, hippies (none here), lots of homeless people, hellofa lot of friendly people, and two guys in kilts.

I do plan to go back in fall or winter just to see what it's like then.

It was a great time and very glad I went, now I want to move and get away from bama because IMO it sucks here.

I did blog about about each day some so if you are bored check out my site
www.opiyonline.com
there you will see some pics and blogs of the trip.

Thanks
Larry

Old 07-30-2009, 11:19 AM

6,262 posts, read 16,732,506 times
so happy you enjoyed the visit. Took a peek at your web site.
Just a question though---the pics tagged as Mt. Hood look like the Columbia Gorge. Did you actually go to Mt. Hood or visit the gorge and take pics from afar of Mt Hood??
The pic of the Keep Portland Weird sign is toooooo funny. Where was that taken?
Aren't the gardens gorgeous!!??
Nice pics though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiy View Post
Oh man it was great. Sorry I didn't respond sooner but figured no one would still be interested in this thread. I spent probably two and a half days walking around downtown around the pearl dist area. I did the mt hood loop but did not go to the lodge. I took a trip to the coast which kinda sucked for me mainly because the trip there and back wasn't that good but the coast is beautiful. It's weird that it gets cooler the closer you get to your coast and hotter here. That was different to me. Henry's Tavern was some very good food and one heck of a beer selection. I also visited the rose garden and Japanese garden. I was tempted to go to Seattle but decide mt hood would be better. I did see a naked guy sleeping in the park, hippies (none here), lots of homeless people, hellofa lot of friendly people, and two guys in kilts.

I do plan to go back in fall or winter just to see what it's like then.

It was a great time and very glad I went, now I want to move and get away from bama because IMO it sucks here.

I did blog about about each day some so if you are bored check out my site
www.opiyonline.com
there you will see some pics and blogs of the trip.

Thanks
Larry

Old 07-30-2009, 11:23 AM

you know, I haven't even been there yet and I have lived here 8 months.
Do they have crafts and such at a reasonable price?
How is the parking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
You're going to run into a bit of a heat wave when you get here. It's going to be in the 90's, so dress accordingly. It will be cooler at the beach and on Mt. Hood though.
It sound like you have a pretty good agenda already. I'd suggest also going to Saturday Market. It's open on Sunday too. Fun place, lots of local color and handicrafts and good cheap eats. Here's the link.

Home

If you like funky, hippie type neighborhoods - try to fit in a trip to Hawthorne Blvd. It's not far from downtown. Otherwise, you seem to be hitting the highlights and you've only got 4 days!

Have fun! You are coming at a time of year when it's just gorgeous here.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:29 AM

Most of the mountain pics are from afar. I took the mt hood hwy that started in hood river area. I would have to look at a map to tell you exactly the names of roads. The road I took looped me around the mt and back toward Portland.

The keep Portland weird sign was near the voodoo doughnuts off e burnside.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:33 AM

I thought the Saturday market was fun. I don't think it was something I would go to every weekend but fun. Yes mostly handmade crafts or pictures or whatever someone has to peddle. I parked a long way away and walked because I knew I was going to be exploring around alot. Maybe someone else will chime in on this though.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiy View Post
Most of the mountain pics are from afar. I took the mt hood hwy that started in hood river area. I would have to look at a map to tell you exactly the names of roads. The road I took looped me around the mt and back toward Portland.

ok, I call that the columbia gorge; which is what threw me off. I haven't been to Mt Hood yet.
The keep Portland weird sign was near the voodoo doughnuts off e burnside.

cool-thanks!! k:

hope you can come back when the weather is Fall like

Old 07-30-2009, 02:06 PM

3,252 posts, read 4,822,286 times
Saturday Market is definitely not an every week type of destination. I go maybe once a year and always take out of town guests there. They always want to go back every time they visit me. Check out the link below. It is a juried market, meaning that you must meet strict guidelines in order to get in. What you sell must be home grown or handmade. There's lots of beautiful jewelry, clothing, woodwork etc. There are other booths too, on the periphery of the market, that don't have to adhere to the guidelines. There are tons of wonderful food booths and lots of live music and street performers. It's a fun way to spend a Saturday or Sunday, especially with an out of towner.

Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland