U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 06:59 PM

6,881 posts, read 7,080,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I want my cool, overcast rainy weather thank you very much. I am not fond of heat and sun.
Minervah - I keep hearing about this heat attack - how very strange! You got a bit when you were here, but we've had a Portland summer since then - exceptionally cool (too cool - winter's coming so we like warmer summers). Take care - cool baths always help or go to movies, etc...wherever there is A/C. How's Gracie handling this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 10:50 AM

6,262 posts, read 16,961,295 times
just walked outside and felt a breeze..................

Old 07-30-2009, 10:53 AM

6,810 posts, read 14,586,342 times
Last night we had pretty spectacular thunderstorms coming in from over the hill to the west (which would be Medford). Very cool breezes with just a hint of rain, which never really materialized.

I love these thunderstorms, although I worry about fires.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:29 PM

20,862 posts, read 22,440,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Minervah - I keep hearing about this heat attack - how very strange! You got a bit when you were here, but we've had a Portland summer since then - exceptionally cool (too cool - winter's coming so we like warmer summers). Take care - cool baths always help or go to movies, etc...wherever there is A/C. How's Gracie handling this?
I was speaking with one of the people in my company's field office in Kansas City and she told me it's been a pretty mild summer there so we must be having their weather.

It got up to 106 in Portland yesterday. It almost broke a record but not quite. There were other parts that got even warmer. But it won't last too much longer, it never does thank heaven. Tomorrow they are predicting it will "cool down" to 95 or so. Who would have thought the 90's would seem cool!

I don't mind all the overtime at my job because I get to stay in air-conditoning longer. It doesn't pay to buy an AC I don't think because these days don't happen often and don't last.

But next week it should be more bearable in the pleasant low 80's.

Poor Gracie! I tried to get her to wrap herself around a cold-pack but she didn't like it so I put it on my feet instead. She would like to sleep outside under the bushes but the other cats scare her so she settles for under the bed. She also sleeps against the toliet stand because the porcelain is cool.

Thanks for asking and to all my sweaty Portland City-Data board buddies, "Stay cool." Or at least try to.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:40 AM

333 posts, read 694,854 times
Seventy degrees blowing through the window - YAY!

In other news, I've read about a fatal flaw in portable A/C's. They create a vacuum in the room as they exhaust all that air out and if your room is poorly insulated it will literally suck in the hot air from outside to replace the exhausted air. It can come from anywhere, cracks around your front door, poorly insulated windows. A window unit doesn't do this because it uses outside air to cool the coils and the inside air is cooled and blown back into the room. I tried using the same unit in two different rooms and saw the difference. Get a window unit if you can!

Old 07-31-2009, 09:36 AM

5,076 posts, read 7,037,094 times
Yes, it's back to normal temps. - 8:30 AM and in the low sixties in NW Portland.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:19 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,320,551 times
Yay! I was able to finally sleep last night!

Old 07-31-2009, 01:22 PM

6,262 posts, read 16,961,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Yes, it's back to normal temps. - 8:30 AM and in the low sixties in NW Portland.
wonderful, isn't it??
Life is great

Old 08-01-2009, 01:11 PM

20,862 posts, read 22,440,374 times
This is the first time in a week I have been on my computer at home because it generates too much heat. I've been using my computer at work where it's air-conditioned to check emails on my breaks.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:11 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,025,724 times
Good for you Minervah. When I had a desktop, I couldn't use it either. Way too hot during some summer days. (And before I got a window A/C).

Anyone else feel like this? I started getting irritated today because it was too sunny & hot, over 90F here - .

We just got back from a walk and it's rather decent out, thank goodness.
Not much longer folks, and we can all feel those breezes that are wafting over DreamWeavin'!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or