Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 10:35 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,130,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Good for you Minervah. When I had a desktop, I couldn't use it either. Way too hot during some summer days. (And before I got a window A/C).

Anyone else feel like this? I started getting irritated today because it was too sunny & hot, over 90F here - .

We just got back from a walk and it's rather decent out, thank goodness.
Not much longer folks, and we can all feel those breezes that are wafting over DreamWeavin'!
LOL........after this heat wave, I'm sure you all can appreciate the normal wonderful temps here.
On the gulf coast it was this hot plus 100% humidity about 7 months of the year. Hence the reason SO many people there were so irritable all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 11:41 AM

Default overcast today :)

such a lovely,overcast and much cooler day!!

Old 08-02-2009, 05:19 PM

42 posts, read 132,600 times
Yes, today has been great! We moved here 3 years ago from the Oregon Coast and it took me a couple of summers to finally acclimate to the heat, but after this last week I think it must be a work in progress because clearly, I have not completely acclimated!!!

Old 08-03-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonDaisy View Post
Yes, today has been great! We moved here 3 years ago from the Oregon Coast and it took me a couple of summers to finally acclimate to the heat, but after this last week I think it must be a work in progress because clearly, I have not completely acclimated!!!
LOL..............I feel your discomfort. There is a silver lining though--Fall is on it's way!!!

Old 08-03-2009, 02:53 AM

333 posts, read 808,437 times
As of now a record of nine 90+ degree days in a row has been set - tomorrow may make it 10.

I'm curious what long-time Oregonians think of this heat wave - does it seem very unusual to you or is there always one intense heat wave that stands out each summer? And how safe is August from heat waves?

Old 08-03-2009, 02:39 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,395,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxNative09 View Post
Reading from Phoenix, I find this entire thread quite amusing.

...Yes, I know, every single building here has AC. But I'd still take it your way any day. Some of us spend a bit of time outside. You can put off your yardwork until next week when it's back to a high of 87, but my house needs to be painted, and I have to choose which Saturday I want to do it on: 112f, 109f, 110f, 108f, 114f... hmm...

And seeing your nightly lows, I really have a hard time sympathizing!
Yes, but you people in Phoenix have a dry heat, so when it's 114, it only feels like 108 or so.

Seriously, in Phoenix, at what temperature do you feel like you're going to spontaneously combust? I read that it takes the average person 7-10 days to adjust to a new temperature, which is why our usually short-lived heat spells and cold snaps feel so debilitating. I moved to Portland from Atlanta a dozen years ago, and I experienced several instances of climate culture shock: 1) One was my first trip to the coast on the first sunny day. It was 62 degrees with a fierce wind blowing. I was bundled in several layers of clothing, including a jacket, and I was still cold. The locals were wearing shorts and T-shirts. 2) On a summer day in a park, I overheard a teenage girl grumbling about the "broiling heat," and "When are we going home?" It was 75 degrees. 3) On my first 103-degree day, I took a trip to the coast, where it was a refreshing 65. I asked a gas-station attendant if it ever got really hot on the coast. "Oh, yeah," he said, "It can hit 75 sometimes." 4) My second winter here, it went down to 11 degrees and was in the teens for about three days. Then a blast of warmer coastal air came in, raising the temperature to 38. I went outside to get the mail and was surprised to find my next-door neighbor dressed in shorts and a T-shirt, washing his car. "Feels nice out here, doesn't it?" he said.

After 12 years here, I have to confess that my subjective perception of what constitutes "hot" is much less than it was when I lived in Atlanta. However, after several days of last week's heat spell, I found myself starting to adjust. The small AC unit we have was only able to cool the room to 85, which felt almost chilly. By the weekend, although I felt warm, I was able to work in the un-air-conditioned rest of the house, which was over 90, and didn't feel debilitated.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
Yes, but you people in Phoenix have a dry heat, so when it's 114, it only feels like 108 or so.

Seriously, in Phoenix, at what temperature do you feel like you're going to spontaneously combust? I read that it takes the average person 7-10 days to adjust to a new temperature, which is why our usually short-lived heat spells and cold snaps feel so debilitating. I moved to Portland from Atlanta a dozen years ago, and I experienced several instances of climate culture shock: 1) One was my first trip to the coast on the first sunny day. It was 62 degrees with a fierce wind blowing. I was bundled in several layers of clothing, including a jacket, and I was still cold. The locals were wearing shorts and T-shirts. 2) On a summer day in a park, I overheard a teenage girl grumbling about the "broiling heat," and "When are we going home?" It was 75 degrees. 3) On my first 103-degree day, I took a trip to the coast, where it was a refreshing 65. I asked a gas-station attendant if it ever got really hot on the coast. "Oh, yeah," he said, "It can hit 75 sometimes." 4) My second winter here, it went down to 11 degrees and was in the teens for about three days. Then a blast of warmer coastal air came in, raising the temperature to 38. I went outside to get the mail and was surprised to find my next-door neighbor dressed in shorts and a T-shirt, washing his car. "Feels nice out here, doesn't it?" he said.

After 12 years here, I have to confess that my subjective perception of what constitutes "hot" is much less than it was when I lived in Atlanta. However, after several days of last week's heat spell, I found myself starting to adjust. The small AC unit we have was only able to cool the room to 85, which felt almost chilly. By the weekend, although I felt warm, I was able to work in the un-air-conditioned rest of the house, which was over 90, and didn't feel debilitated.

omg..........your post gave me a good belly laugh!!!

Old 08-03-2009, 07:05 PM

42 posts, read 132,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
LOL..............I feel your discomfort. There is a silver lining though--Fall is on it's way!!!
Yay! I can't wait for the rain.......I know, I am a strange one, but I do love the rain. It's so funny to hear people complain about the amount of rain we get, because it's no where near the amount we got on the Coast. I've seen 12" fall in 12 hours, with 120mph winds.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:28 PM

333 posts, read 808,437 times
Quote:
I've seen 12" fall in 12 hours, with 120mph winds.
That sounds pretty exciting actually - as long as your house isn't washing away. Does it look amazing to see a storm come in off the ocean?

Old 08-03-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Yay! I can't wait for the rain.......I know, I am a strange one, but I do love the rain. It's so funny to hear people complain about the amount of rain we get, because it's no where near the amount we got on the Coast. I've seen 12" fall in 12 hours, with 120mph winds.
oh me too Daisy...........love rainy days,overcast days,cold days......
there is such a thing as too much sun!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland