Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 07:03 PM

31 posts, read 221,848 times

Advertisements

First of all I know the tax question has been beaten to death and all we can tell is that it was once a horse, but this *particular* question I wasn't able to find a clear answer for.

I will be moving to OR/WA soon and am wondering which will be a better situation for taxes. My primary income will, at least at first, be 1099 income from AZ.

1. I assume that I will pay income taxes to the state in which I reside, and NOT to AZ; correct?

2. I assume that if I reside in OR this will be taxable at OR's 9% rate and counted as normal income.

What I don't know is how it works in WA; I have heard that living in WA is not desirable for "independent contractors" and that many prefer living in Oregon. Why is this? Does "independent contractor" refer to my situation, a 1099 worker?

I know that a few of you get your income from other states but I don't know if you're W2 or 1099. If anyone is in my boat and knows the laws (not necessarily how you file! ) please respond. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 09:15 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,471,805 times
If you perform services in the state of WA you will be subject to their Business & Occupation tax on gross receipts. It doesn't matter whether or not you made a profit on your work.

Which State's tax structure works best for you is an individual issue. I recommend you do research.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:01 PM

31 posts, read 221,848 times
This is my research.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:35 PM

333 posts, read 807,943 times
I'd encourage you to to consult a tax professional - the HR Block people here could probably help you out for a small fee. If any of this is investment income you are better off in WA, period. The tax on investments is one reason many choose to retire outside of Oregon because they don't want their savings investments taxed as they sell them to live on. Also, most states require you to pay tax on the income you made while you were there, so you probably will pay AZ tax no matter when during the year you move to OR or WA. Also, I don't know the exact time limit but I remember hearing somewhere that if you live in Oregon for more than XXX months you will be taxed at the full rate even if you made the money in another state. There's a lot of money at stake in this for you - HR Block charges $150 last time I saw them for taxes, odds are they'll charge you a lot less than that for a few questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland