U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 07:13 PM

2,232 posts, read 3,576,977 times

Advertisements

I know this is beating a dead horse, but Portland ranks 46th out of 50 metropolitan areas for job market competition based on U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics data. Los Angeles, Riverside, Miami, and Detroit are worse off.

Can't Find a Job? Best and Worst Job Markets | Indeed.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 08:22 PM

716 posts, read 2,379,425 times
Default Huge job opportunities in Salem!!

The OR state fair is opening soon. There are job openings for 11 days of work at minimum wage. Hundreds of people waited in wrap around lines for hours to apply for these few coveted career positions. (barking for the *** lady and spreading pixy dust on the Tilt-a-Whirl)

Old 08-19-2009, 11:52 PM

6 posts, read 27,065 times
I have seen a lot of doom and gloom about the unemployment rate in Portland, but geez... I landed a job within a week of sending out resumes. I haven't even moved out there yet. Perhaps the "sales" sector hasn't been hit quite as hard as other segments?

The funniest part is I'm moving from Austin and was having a heck of a time getting any interviews on the sales/sales management side. All the jobs in Austin right now are "tech" related. Austin is supposed to be one of the better jobs markets these days.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:44 AM

59 posts, read 111,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper09 View Post
I have seen a lot of doom and gloom about the unemployment rate in Portland, but geez... I landed a job within a week of sending out resumes. I haven't even moved out there yet. Perhaps the "sales" sector hasn't been hit quite as hard as other segments?

The funniest part is I'm moving from Austin and was having a heck of a time getting any interviews on the sales/sales management side. All the jobs in Austin right now are "tech" related. Austin is supposed to be one of the better jobs markets these days.
You bring up a very good point. Taking aggregate unemployment statistics at face value isn't very meaningful. That implies that the unemployment rate is applied to all sectors uniformly, which, as we all know is rarely the case. Ultimately, regardless of how terrible an unemployment rate is, it still comes down to how well your individual skills match up to the available jobs.

I moved here from Phoenix in April after being laid off from a semiconductor manufacturer. I spent January - April looking for jobs in both markets, and despite the much greater unemployment rate in the Portland area, I still found a much larger number of positions I was qualified for there than in Phoenix (and indeed was able to gain employment after only 2 months).

I will concede though that the unemployment rate is a good gauge of how much competition you might face for any given position. In Phoenix, despite a low unemployment rate, I had a problem finding good jobs. Here, I've found the problem has shifted from too few positions to having too much competition for those positions. Competition here is much more fierce than I had been used to.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:04 AM

6 posts, read 27,065 times
This is very good stuff. Adding to what you've said, within industries, you also have to look at the career level that you're at as well. Obviously, this is going to come into play and may have been what helped me. I have roughly 8 years of very solid sales/sales management experience that definitely sets me apart from some of my competition.

If I had more time, it would be interesting to really dig into the unemployment stats and draw some solid conclusions on which sectors/career levels are hurting the most and which ones are not. As mentioned by the last poster, talking blanket unemployment figures is a bit misleading and certainly disheartening.

On a positive note, the cost of living in PDX is actually going to be much lower than where I am living in Austin (don't let them fool you... ATX is pricey in some spots) and wages in my field tend to track a bit higher in PDX than ATX.

Although ignoring bad things doesn't make them go away, I really do believe negativity has contributed to this recession. Frankly, that's not the cause of the entire situation as there have been a lot of things over the years that have led up to this, but having a PMA (positive mental attitude) goes a long way. PMA is incredibly important when looking for new employment.

All of that being said, it is very unwise IMO for someone fresh out of college with very little experience to pick up and move to Oregon or anywhere else for that matter hoping to get a job (I have seen a lot of posts from people planning to do this).

I was planning to move to Oregon whether I got a job or not, but I do have the luxury of a few passive income streams and the ability to do some freelance consulting work if I was not able to find something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXtoPDX View Post
You bring up a very good point. Taking aggregate unemployment statistics at face value isn't very meaningful. That implies that the unemployment rate is applied to all sectors uniformly, which, as we all know is rarely the case. Ultimately, regardless of how terrible an unemployment rate is, it still comes down to how well your individual skills match up to the available jobs.

I moved here from Phoenix in April after being laid off from a semiconductor manufacturer. I spent January - April looking for jobs in both markets, and despite the much greater unemployment rate in the Portland area, I still found a much larger number of positions I was qualified for there than in Phoenix (and indeed was able to gain employment after only 2 months).

I will concede though that the unemployment rate is a good gauge of how much competition you might face for any given position. In Phoenix, despite a low unemployment rate, I had a problem finding good jobs. Here, I've found the problem has shifted from too few positions to having too much competition for those positions. Competition here is much more fierce than I had been used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland