Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 10:56 PM

373 posts, read 1,170,563 times

Advertisements

So I used to live in Portland back in 2002 to 2003 and hated it then moved back home to finish school. I moved all over since then and just recently got laid off in San Francisco and decided to either move to Portland or Seattle. En route to Seattle, I stopped off in Portland for 4 days, and felt an extreme sense of bliss the entire stay. I then stayed in Seattle for 2 weeks and thought it was just ok. Then I headed back down to Portland and have been here for a week. This time around, I've been feeling very tense, stressed, and agitated nearly the entire time I've been here. Has anyone else felt this way in Portland? There is just this weird vibe that I can really explain and haven't ever felt this way in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 01:55 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzt83 View Post
So I used to live in Portland back in 2002 to 2003 and hated it then moved back home to finish school. I moved all over since then and just recently got laid off in San Francisco and decided to either move to Portland or Seattle. En route to Seattle, I stopped off in Portland for 4 days, and felt an extreme sense of bliss the entire stay. I then stayed in Seattle for 2 weeks and thought it was just ok. Then I headed back down to Portland and have been here for a week. This time around, I've been feeling very tense, stressed, and agitated nearly the entire time I've been here. Has anyone else felt this way in Portland? There is just this weird vibe that I can really explain and haven't ever felt this way in a while.
maybe it has more to do with your being laid off from your job than from being in Portland.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:05 AM

There are so many possibilities for my current state of mind. I will stick it out here for a while though.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:44 AM

333 posts, read 810,327 times
jzt83, observing the "vibe" of cities is a bit of a hobby of mine. First off though you have to assess what your own vibe is first - like DreamWeavin suggests has the pressure of being laid off started to get to you more? Worries about the future weighing on your mind more than the recent time you were here and it was great? Now if you really don't think it's "you" then question what is it that is the Portland specific source of your agitation. The main thing here that gets my nerves on edge is the traffic - it is very unpredictable as to when the freeways back up, you can think you'll be in the clear on a weekday afternoon and find yourself stuck in huge long line for a trip that was supposed to be short. The freeways and surface streets are just clearly overwhelmed with the volume of cars and I think this produces a vibe of stress if you drive a lot. But ultimately only you can id where the stress comes from....trust yourself though. Committing to live in a city that you said you hated seven years ago doesn't make sense to me as it's still the same city right? Good luck.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:41 AM

I really can't explain the vibe. As I've said, Portland is all that I want in a city.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:53 PM

178 posts, read 392,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprightly View Post
observing the "vibe" of cities is a bit of a hobby of mine.
I'd like to know more about that. Down here in FL there just isn't a vibe like the metro PNW especially Portland. I feel like I could find something closer in New England but without the coast, mountains and fir trees that I love so much. Plus with much harsher winters.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:44 PM

333 posts, read 810,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer Dave View Post
I'd like to know more about that. Down here in FL there just isn't a vibe like the metro PNW especially Portland. I feel like I could find something closer in New England but without the coast, mountains and fir trees that I love so much. Plus with much harsher winters.
Explorer Dave, if you want to stay on the East Coast I'd strongly suggest you go farther north than Mass and NY which is like an anti-Portland, at least near Boston. Look for hippy type towns in NH, VT, or especially Maine. The vibe of a place is a pretty subjective experience, but worth paying real attention to especially if you are going to live somewhere! In 20/20 hindsight I've often found that the initial feel of a place in my first few days of being there contain all the information that I need to know later which is confirmed. That said the East Coast is fundamentally different from the West Coast. People interact more strongly and directly there (positive and negative) while here people are more indirect and introverted. Other cities you might think of too are Austin and Boulder.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:55 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
...In 20/20 hindsight I've often found that the initial feel of a place in my first few days of being there contain all the information that I need to know later which is confirmed. That said the East Coast is fundamentally different from the West Coast. People interact more strongly and directly there (positive and negative) while here people are more indirect and introverted. Other cities you might think of too are Austin and Boulder.
Very well said, and excellent advice.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:38 PM

178 posts, read 392,323 times
Quote:
Explorer Dave, if you want to stay on the East Coast I'd strongly suggest you go farther north than Mass and NY which is like an anti-Portland, at least near Boston. Look for hippy type towns in NH, VT, or especially Maine. The vibe of a place is a pretty subjective experience, but worth paying real attention to especially if you are going to live somewhere! In 20/20 hindsight I've often found that the initial feel of a place in my first few days of being there contain all the information that I need to know later which is confirmed. That said the East Coast is fundamentally different from the West Coast. People interact more strongly and directly there (positive and negative) while here people are more indirect and introverted. Other cities you might think of too are Austin and Boulder.
I did think about that for a while. I'd absolutely like to travel the northeast more, but not live there, the northwest is really the place to live for me. I was in VT last Summer, loved traveling there, but it really didn't feel like home. Portland does.

I had been thinking of moving from Eugene to Portland six years ago when I got an offer to come to FL, it's been a good learning experience, but it's time to get back to the northwest.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:05 PM

86 posts, read 318,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer Dave View Post
I did think about that for a while. I'd absolutely like to travel the northeast more, but not live there, the northwest is really the place to live for me. I was in VT last Summer, loved traveling there, but it really didn't feel like home. Portland does.

I had been thinking of moving from Eugene to Portland six years ago when I got an offer to come to FL, it's been a good learning experience, but it's time to get back to the northwest.
EXPLORERDAVE-
I feel your pain living in FL. I too, feel the same way about the lack of "vibe" down here. Florida just seems so one dimensional and uninteresting. Hard to quantify really.While the PNW feels so alive and fresh. Maybe it's the change of seasons, the cooler weather, the proximity to great hiking,biking,camping,fishing,wine,food, and just plain cosmopolitan feel.
I too, enjoyed VT and the feel of Burlington and it seemed like a nice town but was hard to put myself there in dead of winter. Way worse then anything PDX could produce I am sure.
Next week I will be back in PNW and out of this sweaty box of a state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland