Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 01:03 PM

3 posts, read 4,631 times

Advertisements

Since I graduated college in 1998 I have said I would eventually move out to the NW. After visiting Seattle and Portland on a few occasions during summer and winter months my husband and I have chosen Portland. We will be moving at the beginning of November with jobs lined up already.
I was born and raised in Chicago, moved to New Orleans for 6 months, moved to Tampa, FL for 2 years and we have been back in Chicago for a year now.
After deciding about 2 weeks ago that we were going to make the move to Portland I have been having anxiety about telling my mom. We are very close and I know that it will break her heart to see me leave. We mostly talk on the phone with occasional visits. While living in FL and LA I always felt we had more quality time when i flew in than what we get with me living in the same city as her.

I feel that if I don't make this move I will regret it for the rest of my life. My son is 2 years old and know that once he starts school most become "settled" in to a home and school and don't want to leave. I love Chicago. I love the summers, I love the energy and I love knowing that my mom is close even if we don't see each other that often (I guess it's just the comfort of knowing she is 30 miles away if I need her) What I don't love about Chicago is the cold harsh winters, no real nature hikes with lovely pine tree smells, and no snow skiing (unless you want to ski on pure ice in MI or WI)

I don't want to be one of those people that says. "I wish I would have" I am more of a go getter and doer.

If we don't like it we can always come back. That's what I say, but why am I having such a hard time now that is really for real?

Had to write this out and see what others thought. Writing, even if it doesn't make much sense (sorry i'm not much of a writer) and getting feedback always seems to help with situations.

Suggestions? welcomes? from anyone from Portland? Tell me I will love it there and will never want to return.

Peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 01:34 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny1975 View Post
We will be moving at the beginning of November with jobs lined up already.

If we don't like it we can always come back. Tell me I will love it there and will never want to return.
Congratulations on getting those jobs! Very smart move.

I think everyone goes through a sense of trepidation when making a move, big or small. You hit the nail on the head with that statement. No one will force you to stay in PDX, and you will have enough to move back to Chicago if you want. Options, you have options no matter where you land!

Seems like you have everything lined up to make the move. It's very hard to leave people we love, but your mom's main concern is your happiness and I'm sure she'll understand. Have you discussed this move with her at all? You are truly only a plane flight away from each other.

There's not a whole lot to dislike about this area. Good luck to you, and yes, welcome to Oregon!

PS: Peace right back at you ~

Last edited by Wicked Felina; 09-22-2009 at 01:44 PM..

Old 09-22-2009, 02:09 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
the road leading here goes both ways. If you don't want to stay for whatever reason then you can move again.
I love,love the Pacific NW. Been here almost a year now. Just bought a house and while I have NO plans to ever move, I can if I chose to. That's the beauty of living in a free world.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:22 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny1975 View Post
Since I graduated college in 1998 I have said I would eventually move out to the NW. After visiting Seattle and Portland on a few occasions during summer and winter months my husband and I have chosen Portland. We will be moving at the beginning of November with jobs lined up already.
I was born and raised in Chicago, moved to New Orleans for 6 months, moved to Tampa, FL for 2 years and we have been back in Chicago for a year now.
After deciding about 2 weeks ago that we were going to make the move to Portland I have been having anxiety about telling my mom. We are very close and I know that it will break her heart to see me leave. We mostly talk on the phone with occasional visits. While living in FL and LA I always felt we had more quality time when i flew in than what we get with me living in the same city as her.

I feel that if I don't make this move I will regret it for the rest of my life. My son is 2 years old and know that once he starts school most become "settled" in to a home and school and don't want to leave. I love Chicago. I love the summers, I love the energy and I love knowing that my mom is close even if we don't see each other that often (I guess it's just the comfort of knowing she is 30 miles away if I need her) What I don't love about Chicago is the cold harsh winters, no real nature hikes with lovely pine tree smells, and no snow skiing (unless you want to ski on pure ice in MI or WI)

I don't want to be one of those people that says. "I wish I would have" I am more of a go getter and doer.

If we don't like it we can always come back. That's what I say, but why am I having such a hard time now that is really for real?

Had to write this out and see what others thought. Writing, even if it doesn't make much sense (sorry i'm not much of a writer) and getting feedback always seems to help with situations.

Suggestions? welcomes? from anyone from Portland? Tell me I will love it there and will never want to return.

Peace.
You will love it here, but I can't say you will never want to return. I have a feeling you won't want to, but who knows. You can always go back. That's the beauty of it. And, yes, regret is not the way to do things. If you get out here and it doesn't work, you can just go back and not be any worse for the wear and not regret trying out your dream. You have jobs too! And you're young. What a great position you are in to move out here and just enjoy yourselves.

Just realize that by November, when you'll get out here, it's reliably grey and rainy until spring. Just push on through the winter if that gets you down because summer won't be far away, even if it feels like the sun will never shine again.

Welcome, future fellow Oregonian!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland