Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 01:04 PM

569 posts, read 1,819,351 times

Advertisements

I know this is subjective and all, but how is the service out there? I use AT&T, and was just wondering. AT&T is pretty bad out here in Chicago. Anyone familiar with the services out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 03:11 PM

404 posts, read 1,338,108 times
Depends. Near PCC Sylvania, in the council crest area, and the hilly area in Cedar Mills, Verizon and Sprint are horrible. Coverage map shows excellent for council crest area and you get full bars, but you get dropped calls.

In rural areas, T-Mobile sucks.

Like any carrier, AT&T has good and bad spots within the city.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:10 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,043 times
I have AT&T, and I have literally never had a problem.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:36 PM

178 posts, read 584,433 times
My contract with T-mobile ends next month and I have been contemplating switching to Verizon. One motivation for this has been that I have a relative in the suburbs about 15 minutes outside of Portland who is in a T-mobile "dead zone". It lists the house as a weak signal on it's website and my experience has been that it can only pick up a signal if I leave the phone in a certain room or am outside. My relative said the whole family had to switch to Verizon for this reason. Is this common?

Old 09-22-2009, 10:10 PM

682 posts, read 2,422,358 times
I use AT&T, and I've never had much of a problem around the city and suburbs. I was out at Hagg Lake today and didn't get any reception around the lake, but once I got on HWY 47 things picked up. There are a lot of trees and hills around, so it does vary by company and location, but no major issues.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:21 PM

404 posts, read 1,338,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by argo69 View Post
My contract with T-mobile ends next month and I have been contemplating switching to Verizon. One motivation for this has been that I have a relative in the suburbs about 15 minutes outside of Portland who is in a T-mobile "dead zone". It lists the house as a weak signal on it's website and my experience has been that it can only pick up a signal if I leave the phone in a certain room or am outside. My relative said the whole family had to switch to Verizon for this reason. Is this common?
Yep, quite common. regardless of what the website says, if where you will be using has issues, it won't get you anywhere. If you go to council crest park, despite being full of antennas, you would not be able to hold a conversation without calls dropping on Verizon. It works fine on T-Mobile. Go to North Plains, OR and coverage is weak with T-Mobile, but excellent on Verizon.

I have experienced Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint. Verizon customer service is alright. Sprint is awful, and T-Mobile is right up there. You won't experience it until you have any kind of issue. They will be quite nice to you when you're going to buy a phone, and probably until the end of buyer remorse period. I've experienced billing issues with each, but Verizon is usually the best in handling my issues.

T-Mobile and Sprint, you get a lot of "well, the answer depends on who you talk to" situations.

No matter who you go with, you can't avoid dead spots entirely. Go with whatever gives you the best service where you'll be using the most (home, school, work, etc).

Verizon is pretty much useless on PCC Sylvania campus too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland