Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 12:27 AM

550 posts, read 3,256,738 times

Advertisements

I see your point. However, the cost of living in most areas of Colorado and California are MUCH higher than WA. When you compare the wages and costs of living for each state, you'll likely find that each state has a similar percentage of their wages going to the costs of living. Higher wages follow higher costs of living.

If you're currently to the point where you're seriously considering either Vancouver or White Salmon, the time for generalities is over and you really need to deal in specifics. In those areas, your wages will be higher in the cities in Oregon, no doubt. Those two communities have a significantly lower cost of living than those across the river in Oregon that you'd be working in.

I absolutely understand the worry of supporting your family when you relocate. But I'd be hard pressed to think you couldn't comfortably support your family with the wages of an aerospace software engineer in either Vancouver or White Salmon. What's the pay range for your type of work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 11:30 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,736,661 times
My husband works for HP in Vancouver, and there's very little salary difference between the Vancouver site and the Silicon Valley site - certainly not enough of a pay difference to reflect the difference in housing costs.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:14 AM

8,176 posts, read 16,573,566 times
Thanks PNW-type-gal,

That is good to hear. I would hope that the major players Like HP, Oracle, Intel, Google, etc... wouldn't try and 'low ball' people who come to the PNW to live.

Diggitydot, I see what you mean. It seems like most smaller towns in the US pay less than the larger cities. I guess the thing that I noticed when doing an initial online search for jobs was the low pay 'some' areas in Oregon were offering. I think these were smaller companies in some of the smaller to mid-sized towns. So hopefully in a place like Portland, Vancouver, Corvallis, Salem and Eugene wages will be close to the national averages.

In answer to your question, an aerospace software engineer can earn between 60-100K+ depending on current skills and years of experience in both Ca. and Co. I fall somewhere in the middle of that range and plan on continuing to move in the upward direction rather than go in reverse.

So while income is not everything. It is an important consideration when evaluating an area against one's personal and professional goals.

BTW - the cost of living in Co. (I live in Colorado Springs) is 'much' less than Ca. but my salary is the same.
- Derek

Old 08-24-2009, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,097 times
Default Live in Washington work on Oregon?

I live and work in Washington and am looking to take a second job in Oregon. I was informed by someone that Oregon will tax my Washington income as well, does anyone know if this is true?

Old 08-25-2009, 10:55 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,460,366 times
Download the Oregon personal income tax return for 2008 and give it a spin.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:46 AM

478 posts, read 2,297,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tljenkins27 View Post
I live and work in Washington and am looking to take a second job in Oregon. I was informed by someone that Oregon will tax my Washington income as well, does anyone know if this is true?
From here:

https://secure.dor.state.or.us/piti/index.cfm?action=topic&id=0047 (broken link)

Nonresidents.* Oregon taxes the income you earned while working in Oregon. Oregon does not tax any amount you earned while you were working outside Oregon.

If the amount you earned working in Oregon differs from the Oregon wages shown on your W-2 form, you must attach an explanation from your employer to your Oregon return.

If your Oregon wages are not stated separately on your W-2, compute your Oregon-source income using the formula below.

Important information for using this formula: When you count the number of days you actually worked in Oregon and the number of days you actually worked everywhere, do not include holidays, vacation days, or sick days. These aren’t days that you actually worked. Your employer paid you for these days based on the days you worked. However, include your sick pay, holiday pay, and vacation pay in total wages.

Use the formula below to determine total wages taxable by Oregon.

Days actually worked in Oregon/Total wages = Oregon wages

Total days actually worked everywhere

If you only worked in Oregon, do not use the formula above. All your earnings are taxable by Oregon, and you must report them on your Oregon return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland