Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2009, 03:03 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,196 times

Advertisements

It still kills me that Southwest does not have non-stop service to the Los Angeles area. Albuquerque, Boise, Chicago-Midway, Denver, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Oakland, Phoenix, Reno/Tahoe, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Jose (CA), Spokane.....but no L.A.?

Do they not understand there's huge LAX-PDX market out there? I attend school in L.A. and everyone I know here who lives in Portland shares my sentiment and they agree that they would fly Southwest in a heartbeat over the more expensive Alaska and United flights.

And of course more international service would be cool too, but I just don't think we have the business infrastructure to support another non-stop to Asia or Europe. Perhaps Mexico City?

What other service would you like to see PDX pick up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 07:46 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
In a fantasy world?

Amsterdam is a good start, but I'd love to see direct from Portland to either Melbourne or Sydney, and direct to Montreal or Toronto. Also direct to Brazil... I'd be happy with any of the following: Salvador, Porto Alegre, Curitiba, Brasilia, Florianopolis. Even Buenos Aires, Argentina would be cool.

There will never be a market for those in Portland, but one can dream...

Realistically though, somewhere in Mexico. Maybe not Mexico City, but somewhere in Mexico for sure.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:52 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Alaska has nonstop to LAX (and Burbank and Ontario, my personal fav LA-area airport), and I vastly prefer Alaska over Southwest.

What I'd like to see is more support for the smaller airports around Oregon feeding in to PDX.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Alaska has nonstop to LAX (and Burbank and Ontario, my personal fav LA-area airport), and I vastly prefer Alaska over Southwest.

What I'd like to see is more support for the smaller airports around Oregon feeding in to PDX.
Southwest is substantially cheaper. You can get the "Wanna get away" deals online and fly from L.A. to the bay area for $100 round trip and get free checked luggage. $89 is the cheapest I've ever flown from PDX to LAX or Long Beach and that's one way.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:31 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
I flew frequently for business and Southwest was never cheaper on my schedule - plus I always disliked what passed for customer service on Southwest.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:02 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
Yeah, I've always been really satisfied with Alaska. I haven't had good experiences with Southwest however.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:17 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
??? Airlines are removing direct flights to and from PDX. I see no chance of destinations being added to PDX service. Maybe it's me but it is hard to indulge wisfhful thinking in the face of grim reality.

H

Old 10-06-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
??? Airlines are removing direct flights to and from PDX. I see no chance of destinations being added to PDX service. Maybe it's me but it is hard to indulge wisfhful thinking in the face of grim reality.

H
HAHA umm......OK negative Nigel. The economy is picking up and new flights will start returning soon (Alaska is starting O'hare flights in November).

Besides, I don't know why you feel the need to come here and tell us we shouldn't discuss flights we would like to see PDX have in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland