Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 04:51 PM

398 posts, read 1,313,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
WHAT??????

Best Foods = Helman's
No WAY dude.....

And you mean I had to settle for buying that Kraft MAYO because I couldn't find Helman's on the shelf at Alberson's or WinCo. It was there, but hiding behind a left coast label?

Now THAT's cheezy.

Phil
LOL Phil
Too funny and I can TOTALLY relate!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 04:57 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,341,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
WHAT??????

Best Foods = Helman's
No WAY dude.....

And you mean I had to settle for buying that Kraft MAYO because I couldn't find Helman's on the shelf at Alberson's or WinCo. It was there, but hiding behind a left coast label?

Now THAT's cheezy.

Phil
Oh, PWB, I am so sorry. All this time you have been missing out. Well, now you know, enjoy!

Old 10-10-2009, 05:15 PM

30 posts, read 128,653 times
two other oddities i've noticed, coming from michigan to oregon last august...

no 1/2 % milk. it's everywhere in michigan, and i assume the rest of the midwest/east. it was a hard transition to non-fat. you'd think 0.5 % fat isn't that much, but you'd be wrong...

also, no Rold Gold pretzel rods. all the other Rold Gold pretzel shapes, and lots of other brand rods, but no rods by Rold Gold. odd, no rodds...

Old 10-10-2009, 05:19 PM

398 posts, read 1,313,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazurkr View Post

no 1/2 % milk. it's everywhere in michigan, and i assume the rest of the midwest/east. it was a hard transition to non-fat. you'd think 0.5 % fat isn't that much, but you'd be wrong...

also, no Rold Gold pretzel rods. all the other Rold Gold pretzel shapes, and lots of other brand rods, but no rods by Rold Gold. odd, no rodds...
1/2% milk? NEVER in my life heard of it. I drink soy milk so I haven't really studied the milk cabinet since I've lived here in Ohio. I will have to check it out next time I'm in the store and see if we have 1/2% milk here!

Old 10-10-2009, 05:30 PM

30 posts, read 59,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazurkr View Post

Snyder's of Hanover brand makes pretzel rods. I grew up on Rold Gold in upstate NY but Snyder's is better. Now if we could only get Wise potato chips out here. Sigh.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:35 PM

5,415 posts, read 8,099,235 times
Wikipedia on butter sticks:
Butter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You might want to sit down and have a stiff drink because it's going to get even more confusing. Land O' Lakes is going to start selling one pound packages with 8 sticks instead of 4:
Land O'Lakes to Offer Butter Half Sticks in 1-lb. Package Nationally in 2009 | With Photos

The half stick FAQ:
http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/la...ck%2709Q&A.pdf

Old 10-10-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Wikipedia on butter sticks:
Butter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You might want to sit down and have a stiff drink because it's going to get even more confusing. Land O' Lakes is going to start selling one pound packages with 8 sticks instead of 4:
Land O'Lakes to Offer Butter Half Sticks in 1-lb. Package Nationally in 2009 | With Photos

The half stick FAQ:
http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/la...ck%2709Q&A.pdf
Oh dear. My brain hurts. I think I will start buying butter in tubs.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:54 PM

5,415 posts, read 8,099,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Oh dear. My brain hurts. I think I will start buying butter in tubs.
Sorry about that, but I had to steer the thread back to the original topic of butter sticks - people were starting to discuss mayonnaise and 1/2% milk.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:22 AM

H'm, I wonder if either Darigold or Tillamook Dairies would have the answer to the stick question.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:46 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,469,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
H'm, I wonder if either Darigold or Tillamook Dairies would have the answer to the stick question.
Yeah, would they have posted on thier web sites the history of the Western Pack.

I know from my living east of the Mississippi river, that states like Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and others, that dairy products are highly regulated by the state governments for long historical reasons going back to the 19th century. Every dairy product sold to the general public had strict butter fat content restrictions, food color and container laws. I think, not positive on this, it has to do with state testing and the random sample testing for bad stuff needs to know the volume and fat content for the product in-order for the results to be trustworthy and accurate.

But it could have been just to keep the Mid-West dairies from selling their products on the West Coast, and boosting the local farmers income. Who knowns?

It is what it is, but I still don't like the idea of buying a new butter dish; but I guess I have to just deal with it, and let it pass.

Phil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland