Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2009, 03:54 PM

30 posts, read 56,211 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 5, my husband and I, and our 3 small children. We currently live in Iowa, but it is no longer safe to live where we are. We are trying to start a new life together, and we want to do it in Portland. However, I am really nervous about moving, given the job market and such. My husband has alot of experience as a cook, and a little as a welder, I have experience in customer service. Is Portland safe to raise a family? We may need services such as a shelter when we get there, unfortunately, is there one? Any suggestions would be helful...thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 04:21 PM

398 posts, read 1,317,503 times
Please allow me to be the first to tell you (as I'm sure others will in no time...) - don't move to Portland without a job lined up already, unless you have many months worth of savings that you can afford to spend.

There are relatively few jobs in Oregon right now. It is also very expensive. If I were a cook, I would personally be looking for a place with a lower cost of living and better unemployment stats as a new home to raise my family.

But good luck, whatever you do.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:44 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
That's a tough one. Needing to move for the safety of your family makes it especially difficult.

Yes, for the most part Portland is safe to raise a family.

If you are coming here with the expectation that there will be government services (shelters, food, medical care) to help you, I believe that is a mistake. Thousands of other people are in the same boat as you.

Are you associated with any church group? Perhaps contacting an agency through your church may help. That's the route I'd choose if I were in your shoes.

If you are determined to make it to the Pacific Northwest, and I certainly understand why this area appeals to people, try looking in Washington at the cities along the I-5 corridor. My impression is that they have a lot more money for services and overall seem to run social services better than Oregon.

I wish you luck in your search.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:59 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Iowa, although often the butt of jokes (probably most of them unfair), has an unemployment rate far below the national average, has schools that perform much above the national average, has a reasonable cost of living, and has a crime rate below the national average.

If, for some reason, you don't feel safe where you are now living (maybe you live in one of the few unsafe areas), move to another place in Iowa, not to another state.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:09 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
None of the job experiences you describe are readily available in Portland. Those are pretty much the very ones which are not hiring and are often laying off. If it was just one person and you had some financial backup while trying to find employment, it might be worth taking a chance. But for a family with three kids, it's way too risky.

Also as has been mentioned, the shelters are overflowing. From what I have read, they may not always be safe. You don't want to share your space with some of the people who are housed there and certainly do not want your children exposed to them. Again, too risky.

Many people in better circumstances than yours would like to move here but don't because of the job situation. To move here without making prior arrangements and just expecting to find what you need is probably more dangerous than remaining in the area in which you are living at present.

Please reconsider moving here unless you are able to either obtain a job or have a safe shelter to take your family beforehand.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:03 AM

333 posts, read 810,327 times
Hi Angela, can you tell us anything about why you are not safe where you are? I do agree with others here that moving without anything lined up can lead to trouble for you, but as always everything has a context. What are you looking for? Why Oregon and not somewhere closer to where you are?

Old 10-11-2009, 08:54 AM

I live in Marshalltown, and the places around here are also not hiring. Hence why I started college, because while trying to find work, i was on financial assistance from the state, and they payed me only 495 a month with a family of 5. The cost of living here is actually not much better, im paying $800 a month for a 1 1/2 bedroom apartment. I used to live in Spokane for years, and I like the pacific morthwest, although Spokane wasnt great. I actually lived in Vancouver for a short time, and I loved everything about the area. I am no longer safe because of family issues, long story. I can also take the state test to recertify for my CNA, I called the state office, and they said they have a program that will help pay for the cpst of the test. I don't like the work, but I have lived poor all my life, and I have always took any job I could get from Wells Fargo, to McDonalds. I will also have a hefty savings if everything goes right, been doing a lot of penny pinching. I am hoping to relocate to somewhere my family wont be able to find me and start a new life, get my AAS degree.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:35 PM

716 posts, read 2,816,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angela15517 View Post
We currently live in Iowa, but it is no longer safe to live where we are.
The crime rate here is higher then Iowa.

If your husband is a welder you'd be better off looking at Wyoming. A welder is one profession with a very bright future (no pun intended!!) His odds are much better as a welder then a cook.

Last edited by davefr; 10-11-2009 at 08:06 PM..

Old 10-11-2009, 07:53 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I don't know for sure but I believe your "hefty savings" would exclude you from any type of assistance. And it wouldn't really be quite fair for you to try to receive it when so many people here are in need. You at least have the resources to move to a place where employment is better when so many here would like to but can't afford it. There are people here would would be happy to get a job at Wells Fargo or Walmart. You were very fortunate to be able to do that.

One bright spot. You could probably find a job as a CNA. I think there is still a need for those.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:47 AM

Im not saying I want to move there to live off the state, thats the last thing I want. And I didnt say that we are no longer safe because of the crime rate either. But thanks for the imput. I think if a person is determined enough, you can make it anywhere. But thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland