Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 04:49 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,465,074 times

Advertisements

Since today (Late October '09) was a drizzle rain day, light schedule, yada, yada, yada,..I thought it would be a good day visit the Pearl district to check out the REI store and get a Gore Tex rain gear for the up coming winter season. AND THEN, I found the price tag on a Gore Tex coat at REI.............

OK, so let's assume, for a minute, that $400.00 for an outerwear coat that isn't made in any size larger than XL, and I need XXLT, is well.... not in-line with expenditure expectations-- with a few expletives, and such, thrown in.

And also presume I do a computer search, and find a sports clothing store that has really good quality camouflage rain gear for the hunter, but maybe not useful for someone who WANTS car drivers to seen him crossing the intersection....

Plus there are places that sell construction workers rain gear for HIGH visibility on road work, but maybe not 'cool' to wear if one isn't doing road repair. Let me emphasise, un-'cool' looking, very useful for intended use maybe, but not what I would wear.

So, anyone who has to walk in the rain, stand at bus stops in the rain, or in general gets around in the cold, damp, drizzle PNW winter, care to share what they do for rain wear? Or at least suggest a retail outlet (web or brick & mortar) to try?

I have seen some cool looking rain gear hats that look like a soft cloth, very wide brimmed, that would be useful, but I don't know what to call that style of hat, or a store to get them at. Kind of a cross between a women's Burberry rain hat and a men's bucket rain gear hat.

TIA

Phil

Last edited by philwithbeard; 10-24-2009 at 04:52 AM.. Reason: grammer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 09:19 AM

398 posts, read 1,312,707 times
Hi Phil,

Yes, the prices at REI, Columbia, OMC, and the like are way out of this world.

Have you checked out Sierra Trading Post? http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ They have an ever-evolving stock, so it's hit or miss with them. But they have some GREAT prices on top notch brands. I have bought many things outdoor/skiing/camping related from them over the years.

I also keep my eyes peeled at Goodwill. Yes, I'm not ashamed at all to admit I shop there rather frequently. Just last week I found a brand spankin' new Obermeyer ski jacket at Goodwill for $4.00 - it looks like it was worn once, the gal decided she wasn't cut out for skiing, and off to Goodwill it went. When I was in Portland I used to scour the giant Goodwill Superstore down on SE Mcloughlin & Stephens on a regular basis. You wouldn't believe the things some people donate that are just like brand spankin' new.

Another suggestion - I've noticed that stores like Burlington Coat Facotory and Ross Dress For Less have been getting in a lot of Columbia outerwear (at a fraction of the price that you would pay at the Columbia store). Now I don't know if you are set on REI brand or not... I haven't seen any REI in there. I believe I saw some North Face at Burlington.

Hope that helps! Like I said, I'm an unabash-ed frugalista. I just can't fathom spending that much for "hipness".

Last edited by malachai23; 10-24-2009 at 09:58 AM..

Old 10-24-2009, 09:57 AM

Hey Phil - one more thought - have you checked out Deek & Bryan's? Next Adventure | Portland's Alternative Outdoor Store: New, Used, and Closeouts! I have purchased a couple things here over the years but it has never been my most favorite store in the world. They were always kind of snooty to me. But I know people who swear by the store, so to each their own.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:12 AM

899 posts, read 2,930,601 times
Hi
I spend a lot of time in the garden and got a set of rain pants and jacket at a place across from Al's nursery in Woodburn for $20..They are warm , the jacket has pockets and a hood, they have a lot of good stuff for half of what you'd other places..Sorry I don't know the name of the store but its a good place for all kinds of rain gear...

Old 10-24-2009, 10:17 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,620,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Since today (Late October '09) was a drizzle rain day, light schedule, yada, yada, yada,..I thought it would be a good day visit the Pearl district to check out the REI store and get a Gore Tex rain gear for the up coming winter season. AND THEN, I found the price tag on a Gore Tex coat at REI.............

OK, so let's assume, for a minute, that $400.00 for an outerwear coat that isn't made in any size larger than XL, and I need XXLT, is well.... not in-line with expenditure expectations-- with a few expletives, and such, thrown in.

And also presume I do a computer search, and find a sports clothing store that has really good quality camouflage rain gear for the hunter, but maybe not useful for someone who WANTS car drivers to seen him crossing the intersection....

Plus there are places that sell construction workers rain gear for HIGH visibility on road work, but maybe not 'cool' to wear if one isn't doing road repair. Let me emphasise, un-'cool' looking, very useful for intended use maybe, but not what I would wear.

So, anyone who has to walk in the rain, stand at bus stops in the rain, or in general gets around in the cold, damp, drizzle PNW winter, care to share what they do for rain wear? Or at least suggest a retail outlet (web or brick & mortar) to try?

I have seen some cool looking rain gear hats that look like a soft cloth, very wide brimmed, that would be useful, but I don't know what to call that style of hat, or a store to get them at. Kind of a cross between a women's Burberry rain hat and a men's bucket rain gear hat.

TIA

Phil
try this and good luck
Andy and Bax: Home

Old 10-24-2009, 11:26 AM

17,609 posts, read 22,519,982 times
Howdy Phil;

I was looking for some outerwear to give to my young adult relatives. I found 4 Columbia outerwear jackets with hoods in XL with 2 down liners all in almost new condition for $100 total. I bought these from the General Class Ads on
www.ifish.net

I've also seen some outerwear for sale on Craigslist at times.

Best of Luck to you, Bro...

Old 10-24-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Howdy Phil;

I was looking for some outerwear to give to my young adult relatives. I found 4 Columbia outerwear jackets with hoods in XL with 2 down liners all in almost new condition for $100 total. I bought these from the General Class Ads on
www.ifish.net

I've also seen some outerwear for sale on Craigslist at times.

Best of Luck to you, Bro...

Hawk, where is the classifieds link on the ifish website? I can't for the life of me find it. Then again I haven't finished my latte yet - so not 100% caffeinated. LOL

Old 10-24-2009, 12:44 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,734,906 times
REI is where you go to see the high end features and prices. Then, knowing what the good stuff looks like, you go elsewhere. Used to be GI Joe's before they went upscale and to "joe's" and hence out of business. I like Sierra Trading Post for overtsock/slightly out-of-season. Cabela's on-line (which is amusing for the "camo print sexy nighties and bikinis." Yes, when I think sexy lingerie, my thoughts turn to camo prints. Maybe last.) or one of the still-open Sportsman's Warehouse are good.

As a field geologist, I had a collection of maybe 8 pairs of boots for different uses - from expensive Danner and North Face all the way down to rubber waders and cheap "Hi-Tec" boots for when I knew I'd destroy them. You can never have too many boots.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:54 PM

9 posts, read 30,954 times
Sometimes you can find good deals on outerwear on this website:

Backcountry.com: The North Face, Mountain Hardwear and Arc'teryx Skiing, Camping, Hiking and Backpacking Gear

Also, Backcountry has a website where they auction off stuff all day. You can get amazing deals on some things - I have a feed that shows what's on sale at the bottom of my browser at all times. :-)

Steep and Cheap: Arc'teryx Sigma LT Jacket - Men's - $123.99 - 50% off

Good luck!

Old 10-25-2009, 12:29 PM

290 posts, read 1,177,346 times
First of all, you want to buy that in the summer, right when demand is low :-)

I recommend the Columbia outlet store in LO (on MONROE PKWY and Boones Ferry Rd). I recently purchased a coat that works well in rain and also has good insulation for $99. I needed the extra insulation for a recent camping trip. Where I camped the temperature was down to the low 40s/upper 30s and I didn't feel cold at all. Also that store often has deals so you may want to check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland