Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 05:21 PM

323 posts, read 1,127,835 times

Advertisements

Yes, some of them are far more into defining an image of conforming to anti-conformity than doing anything productive or unique on their own. Yes, their clothes and hair might look silly when you see a big pack of them dressed the same. Maybe they're all trust fund babies that lack motivation.
But, is that really any different than the hipsters of any other generation, or any other city? THEY'RE EVERYWHERE! They're even in Montana. EEK!
Why is it such a big deal to just appreciate the fact that they are what they are and that you aren't one?
It's just odd to me that almost every "best/worst things about Portland" post mentions this social group as a major negative factor. Surely there are more pressing and less superficial matters to discuss.
This is coming from a former hipster-hater. I once thought of them as a disease. I avoided certain (most) areas of NYC and Chicago because of them. I pre-judged folks who were wearing too-tight jeans, wearing ironic shirts and listening to music I'd never heard of. But now I just don't care. I'm doing my own thing, and frankly, couldn't give a damn. I don't know why this is so hard for people. Maybe some folks are just bitter when they see young people having fun and dressing and listening in ways they don't quite like themselves.
If you appreciate any sort of diversity, you should appreciate all of it for what it is. And if nothing else, they give you something to laugh about.
Just my two cents.

Last edited by electric_lady; 11-03-2009 at 05:32 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 08:10 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,079,042 times
I have spent a lot of time in NYC and other major cities. I never saw more tattoos and piercings than in Portland. Young people in other parts of the country are also often immature and conforming nonconformists, but I never saw anything like my brief stay in Portland - nor do I ever want to see it again. I had hoped that Portland would match my plans for a retirement location. The hipster culture and a whole host of other issues rapidly changed my mind. I am still considering southern Oregon for retirement, but Portland is way, way down on my list.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:08 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,333,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I have spent a lot of time in NYC and other major cities. I never saw more tattoos and piercings than in Portland. Young people in other parts of the country are also often immature and conforming nonconformists, but I never saw anything like my brief stay in Portland - nor do I ever want to see it again. I had hoped that Portland would match my plans for a retirement location. The hipster culture and a whole host of other issues rapidly changed my mind. I am still considering southern Oregon for retirement, but Portland is way, way down on my list.
I'm curious as to why this bothers you so much. Do they harass you, threaten you, frighten you? Scratch your car, swear at your kids, laugh at you in the supermarket? What exactly is it that has you searching for anywhere to be but Portland? I am a middle aged woman who has lived here for 34 years. I live in central Portland and any given week takes me downtown, Beaverton, maybe Hawthorne Blvd. and occasionally the Pearl.
At no time have I ever had any disagreeable encounter with any "hipster". They go about their business and I go about mine. When I have a transaction with a "hipster", they have been pleasant and easy going. I also interact with - and god do I hate labels - "yuppies", "seniors", "immigrants", "teenagers"and "sales professionals", among others. Each of these "groups" is as diverse as any of the others, as is the entire city. Why focus like a laser beam on "hipsters' and allow that to be a deciding factor in where you live? Other than obvious gang members and "angry young men", (none of whom I ever encounter), the citizens of Portland are benign and tolerant for the most part. It's when you get into labels and stereotyping that you cut off your nose to spite your face. You can live happily and safely in Portland among all different types of people. I wouldn't love Portland nearly as much if everyone were just like me. In fact, I'd hate it.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:51 AM

No, the hipsters are not a major bother and certainly not a threat. Perhaps there is a great hipster culture, a great dating scene and all sorts of underground excitement in Portland. If I were 20 something I might be interested. I am not.

It is not just the sizeable group of hipsters but many other attributes of Portland that I did not like. My list is pretty long so there is no reason to inflict it on those of you who like Portland.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:06 PM

26,514 posts, read 36,385,293 times
You know....maybe my son's a hipster. He's a student in Portland and works part time at a "trendy" type of place. He doesn't have tatoos or piercings but he likes different music and has a blackberry. He has lots of friends so he may have been among the people that a certain poster here never wants to see again.

I really don't know if he's a hipster or not because I'm not sure what the hell a hipster really is. But I am sure they are all someone's child, brother, sister, friend, and fellow human being.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:19 PM

Somehow there seems to be an impression that I hate hipsters - and even wish them dead. Not so. But I did not care for the culture of Portland.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:28 PM

6 posts, read 23,611 times
I clicked on this thread hoping it was advertising a meetup for some literal "hipster bashing." I am now sorely disappointed.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:22 PM

341 posts, read 639,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Somehow there seems to be an impression that I hate hipsters - and even wish them dead. Not so. But I did not care for the culture of Portland.
I like to listen Frank Zappa but I don't like Eminem. It is so easy if people are tolerant. Or it is just me?

Old 11-04-2009, 04:57 PM

323 posts, read 1,127,835 times
Default Duder ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XandV View Post
I clicked on this thread hoping it was advertising a meetup for some literal "hipster bashing." I am now sorely disappointed.
Just visit all the other Portland threads. You'll find plenty of literal hipster bashing.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:22 PM

206 posts, read 464,120 times
I agree with you - who cares? Why not just accept people as they are and at the point of life they are in, and let it be that? Exuding hate for people into experimenting with fashions or simply being young is ridiculous. I also think people should be allowed to like what they want to without needing to articulate reasons for others to scoff at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: