U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:48 PM

1,382 posts, read 1,980,296 times
Default Portland beats Seattle weather?

Is it really more rainy and foggy in Portland than Seattle? A buddy said he would take Seattle any day for nice weather.

I figured since Portland was further south it would have the clearer skies. Any thoughts Portlandians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:58 AM

714 posts, read 1,660,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Is it really more rainy and foggy in Portland than Seattle? A buddy said he would take Seattle any day for nice weather.

I figured since Portland was further south it would have the clearer skies. Any thoughts Portlandians?
The differences are minor. I would agree that Portland has more of tendancy to get socked in with lingering fog, gloom and drizzle.

Seattle has more of a coastal influence where storms move through quicker.

The biggest difference is that Portland can get strong east winds thru the gorge and when this is combined with an arctic express in can be frigid cold and cause things like freezing rain when moisture arrives.

Seattle is also susceptable to freezing rain but not as much in my observations. Seattle is also a tad warmer in the winter and a little cooler in the summer and maybe slightly wetter.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:29 PM

62 posts, read 150,771 times
I've lived in both cities for 6 years (seattle 3 yrs first, then Portland 3 yrs), and Portland is slightly nicer than Seattle. The days where it's "drizzling" in Portland it's raining in Seattle. The days it's close to raining in Portland it's "drizzling" in Seattle. Both cities are cloudy and rainy 3/4ths of the year.

On average, Portland is 5-6 degrees warmer at any given point. Your friend had no idea what he was talking about.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:52 PM

853 posts, read 1,482,919 times
I'd have to disagree with the last post and agree more with davefr. The Olympic Mountains on the Olympic Peninsula provide Seattle with a bit of a rain shadow. Portland is gloomier in winter than Seattle, though the difference is minor.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:44 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,607,423 times
For Portland:
CLIMATE NORMS
scroll down to Mean # of Days Cloud cover

For Seattle:
I cannot find a summary page, have to do it month by month:
National Weather Service - NWS Seattle

use archive data for each month.

Phil

Old 11-16-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
I'd have to disagree with the last post and agree more with davefr. The Olympic Mountains on the Olympic Peninsula provide Seattle with a bit of a rain shadow. Portland is gloomier in winter than Seattle, though the difference is minor.
No way. I've lived in both cities for 3 years at a time and traveled between both for the full 6 yr period. Seattle is not in a rain shadow and does in fact have more gloomy days than Portland.

Seattle is the #3 overcast city in the country and Portland ranks at #8, which seems to back up my personal experiences.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:47 AM

332 posts, read 443,224 times
I've lived in both as well - Seattle is gloomier when it's gloomy. The overcast days tend to have darker cloud cover that is lower as well. The summer in Portland is far hotter, often by ten full degrees - I have kept close track of this during heat waves. The "thermal trough" that leads to the extreme heat does not extend up to Seattle. Also Portland seems to get more extremes in cold snaps as well. Overall though Portland is sunnier than Seattle - more sunbreaks during the gloomy days as well.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:09 PM

252 posts, read 610,095 times
Winters are roughly comparable, lots of gray days with misty rain, but Portland has better summers. It gets warmer in Portland (but rarely unpleasantly hot), and there are more sunny days. Seattle is more prone to be socked in with fog and clouds in the summer. Seattle's annual rainfall total is a bit higher as well.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:04 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,445,587 times
Seattle does not get "socked in with clouds and fog" during the summers. The day time highs don't get quite as hot as Portland on average, but the amount of sun is probably greater in Seattle due to the more nothernly latitude (hence longer days).

Old 11-27-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
... but the amount of sun is probably greater in Seattle due to the more nothernly latitude (hence longer days).
I think you have that backward. A more Northern latitude would only result in more sun if you were south of the Equator. In this case a more Northern latitude will result in less sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: