Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 01:27 AM

22 posts, read 80,589 times

Advertisements

We moved here a few months ago and still haven't managed to unpack most of our stuff. Four adult relatives will be visiting next week () and I don't even have furniture in the living/dining room. I guess we'll manage to squeeze in the family room kitchen/eating nook and eat buffet style.

I just don't feel up to cooking the entire Thanksgiving meal and I don't want to eat out. So for the first time I plan to try one of the pre-cooked Thanksgiving turkeys from a local supermarket; I'm really interested in supporting the free range market and New Seasons, Zupan's and Whole Foods offer cooked free range turkeys for the holidays. I've tried to research online but I haven't found any taste comparisons. Has anyone tried more than one of these market's cooked turkey dinners? If so, I'd appreciate some reviews. These free range cooked turkeys are so darn expensive; I'd really like to feel like I've done some research and have some basis for picking one market over another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 08:27 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
I've served and eaten the gamut, from cheap frozen Butterball with popup timer to expensive Diestal (sp?) from New Seasons. Frankly, I couldn't tell the difference. They all tasted like good old turkey and once it was smothered in gravy and eaten with great stuffing and mashed potatoes, I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. For what it's worth, I thought the menu offerings from New Seasons were the most impressive for the price. They are a local chain, which I like, and their turkeys are free range. Happy eating!

Old 11-16-2009, 10:56 PM

682 posts, read 2,422,358 times
I haven't eaten New Seasons' turkey, but I like that they're local, and they really try to source local produce, meat, and other products. The turkey comes from California, so not too far away.

As far as their food quality, aside from a bland roast beef sandwich I had once, I've always thought their food was good. Way above your typical cafeteria-style supermarket fare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland