U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 12:14 PM

4,496 posts, read 5,633,194 times
I was born and raised in Ptown. Left for college in Central Oregon...I was in SHOCK at the all the blue sky days...LOL. Even tho I'd been on family vacations to many states, I didn't really realize that many places have an abundance of blue sky and what it was like to live in those places...LOL. I have friends that are life long Portlanders...I couldn't do it.

I am returning west but I won't live on the west side of the Cascades...I couldn't deal with the grey/dark/drizzle again.

I've had the good fortune to live or have extended stays in many of the states, but I'll be moving back out west as soon as my farm sells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 02:24 PM

3,994 posts, read 7,473,593 times
Given the city (and surrounding metro area) growth rates, a lot of people AREN'T leaving. It's true that the housing inflation finally hit here a few years ago and prices - comparatively - soared, but Portland is still one of the cheapest cities on the west coast. Housing starts and price increases have slowed down in the past 6 months but haven't dropped much, and, assuming the economy keeps chugging along, probably won't drop all that much.

After 20+ years of hating the dark, wet winters I'm headed off to the other side of the Cascades, but I still love the city and plan to come back often.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:34 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,305,443 times
How much do you have to spend for a nice home, 1500 sq feet 3/2 in NW or SW portland, can you get earthquake insurance? Are people worried bout St. Helens erupting and if so, is there a safe place to be in the area?

I hope someone answers me! We may have a job offer very soon, actually its in the works and I REALLY need to know! Thanks!

Old 04-04-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
How much do you have to spend for a nice home, 1500 sq feet 3/2 in NW or SW portland, can you get earthquake insurance? Are people worried bout St. Helens erupting and if so, is there a safe place to be in the area?

I hope someone answers me! We may have a job offer very soon, actually its in the works and I REALLY need to know! Thanks!
My graduate degrees are in geology and engineering geology and I don't have earthquake insurance, how's that for input? The house we live in now we bought while it was still in the framing stages and we had them do a little extra with strapping and bolting and called it good. Most equake insurance is structure only and has a hefty deductible - when we bought the house in 1989, we paid 82k for it, including largish lot, and the deductible on the policy was 30k and the policy was $100 a month, meaning it was a very bad deal.

We talk about the "big 9.0" on this coast (from Mexico to British Columbia), and in the Portand metro area the things which might be hit the worst include bridges (most of them have been refit and "earthquake proofed" but that word is an oxymoron - there really is no such thing as "earthquake proof"), older houses/buildings and structures built on potential unstable slopes and liquefaction zones. The "9.0" subduction earthquake will most likely be centered off the coast somewhere, near the subduction point, and probably won't be a 9.0 in Portland. There are, however, numerous local faults, capable of smaller earthquakes.

It would be a good idea, living in a potential earthquake zone, to do the standard, current code stuff - strap the water heater, make sure you know where the gas mains and valves are and how to turn them off, bolt heavy items to the wall, don't put up huge display cases filled top to bottom with glass items, keep a supply of emergency water and food. That applies anywhere on the west coast, though, and there are areas in California which are far more at risk than we are.

As far as Mt. St. Helens - as long as you don't live in one of the towns up along the two main roads in and out, and as long as you don't live in the potential flood plain for the two rivers which serve as drainage for the area, the worst you are likely to deal with is an ash explosion, which is both unlikely and more briefly annoying than truly damaging. Prevailing winds mean the ash plumes are most likely in an eastern direction - the orchard areas in Wenatchee and Yakima got hit in the last big event, but St. Helens ash is why those orchards are there in the first place - the ash-rich soil is a great growing medium.

Mt Hood is also considered "active" but the hazards associated with it are much more like the hazards associated with Mt. Rainier near Seattle - a large earthquake on the mountain could trigger a big landslide. It's all in the "be prepared for in the eventuality" level, but not something even people who understand the processes worry about every day.

As far as home prices - I just helped a friend settle in Portland, and the agent she used was this link (which I am in no way associated with, BTW)

You can use their "interactive map" and search by neighborhood and certain criteria. You don't have to register, and they don't contact you unless you ask them. By picking NW and SW, you have put yourself in some of the more expensive parts of town. My friend settled over in the Killingsworth and 33rd area, which is one of those areas being either "renewed" or "yuppified" depending on your point of view. Within a couple blocks of her house she has a New Seasons Market (my favorite in Portland), two parks, a great McMenamin's Brew Pub, a small medical office cluster

Last edited by Waterlily; 04-04-2007 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: Ad link

Old 04-04-2007, 11:03 AM

Thanks so much for your candid and insightful advice, I will print this out and keep it! I do not really need or want a big yuppified home or neighborhood, but I would like a good school and safe community to reside in and from my experience, those areas seem to be the safest. I am wondering if there is something between the PEARL and Lake Oswego that would be affordable and safe? That is what I am currently reseraching now. My hubby who has the potential job over that way, would be working in St. Helens, I have seen some pics and it seems ok, but I do live on the east coast and I only have pics and word of mouth to go by on.

I have really fell in love with Portland, its seems to be one of the better cities to live in with respect to serious violent crime and it also seems to more nice areas than bad ones, from what I gather anyhow. My husband would be earning bout 78 grand a year and I am going to try to find some entry level job, that will pay decent for a stay at home mom who has a ten year old college degree in Psych...I am not expecting alot but something 9-5..M-F would be awesome and fit into my lifesytle well. I want to be able to be home to cook dinner for my hubby and have time to help with homework in the eveings, that is most important to us here.

Anyhow, I really do appreciate this and I will take you up on the link...I think Portland is very beautiful and I think it could still be in our reach to live on the west coast, if we do not wait too long here...thanks a bunch!

PGHPANATIVE

Old 04-04-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
Thanks so much for your candid and insightful advice, I will print this out and keep it! I do not really need or want a big yuppified home or neighborhood, but I would like a good school and safe community to reside in and from my experience, those areas seem to be the safest. I am wondering if there is something between the PEARL and Lake Oswego that would be affordable and safe? That is what I am currently reseraching now. My hubby who has the potential job over that way, would be working in St. Helens, I have seen some pics and it seems ok, but I do live on the east coast and I only have pics and word of mouth to go by on.

I have really fell in love with Portland, its seems to be one of the better cities to live in with respect to serious violent crime and it also seems to more nice areas than bad ones, from what I gather anyhow. My husband would be earning bout 78 grand a year and I am going to try to find some entry level job, that will pay decent for a stay at home mom who has a ten year old college degree in Psych...I am not expecting alot but something 9-5..M-F would be awesome and fit into my lifesytle well. I want to be able to be home to cook dinner for my hubby and have time to help with homework in the eveings, that is most important to us here.

Anyhow, I really do appreciate this and I will take you up on the link...I think Portland is very beautiful and I think it could still be in our reach to live on the west coast, if we do not wait too long here...thanks a bunch!

PGHPANATIVE
Hmm, I'd probably look in the town of St. Helens for housing, simply because the drive up US 30 would get OLD. It's not a freeway, it's a 4 lane (mostly) road and it goes through the North Portland industrial area, meaning it's got heavy truck traffic and would be slow. I don't have any data on the schools. Job prospects might be a bit bleak there.

Otherwise I'd probably pick the St. John's area, although you need to be a bit careful with neighborhoods. If you use that CBSeal site, you can get an aerial picture of the neighborhood and figure out a lot from the overall neighborhood condition. The University of Portland area has some nice older houses, and there is a MAX light rail spur that goes up that way and connects with the main MAX lines, so you can zip into downtown from there. I'm not sure about the school districts there, either. North Portland in general has some very questionable districts that are in real trouble. You'd have to get physical district maps and look, first-hand, at the schools.

My other bit of advice is move here and rent first. It's a pain, yes, to pack and unpack more than once, but without being able to actually SEE and live with the neighborhoods, you could end up somewhere you're not happy.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:41 AM

My husband has a possible job lined up in St. Helens, that is why I am thinking of living close by to the area, I really loved the pics of Pearl and the idea of Oswego lake and would like to find a blend of both, if it existed nearby where he would be working.

We will be in company housing while we search for a home, no idea where they would put us up for awhile, but it would save us money and buy us some time to go look and see for a month or so...hopefully that will be ample time.

I heard North is bad, so I want to stay clear of that area and I prefer the NW area and we could even go out some, more of sububria to me would be more comfortable. I am trying to use that link but not having much success, but will try again here too, thanks again for the info too, I really appreciate it!

I know what you mean bout not being happy where you live, I actually ended up in a bad area and I lived here for awhile but was convinced by a sneaky real estate agent that it was an great area and it wasn't...bottomline was that I should of researched alot more and that is why now I am really doing all that I can before I even come over that way.

A nice older home in a safe area that is not run down, would be perfect, I love what you can get in a older home that you can never get in a cookie cutter today, and to me they have a soul as well. I will def check this out and thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-05-2007, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,126 times
Smile Moving to Portland

I moved TO Portland eight years ago from Cincinnati, without a job but with an apartment rented for 6 months. It was the best move I ever made. Portland is NOT gray and cloudy 9 months of the year (that is a myth spread to keep people away). I have never had to shovel 6 inches of "partly cloudy" out of my driveway, it melts too fast. Yes, Portland and the surrounding area is a city, with some of the bad and most of the good that comes from living near one. Yes, there is commute traffic during certain two hour periods of the day. But have you ever driven in LA? And we never have the heat and humidity of a Midwest Summer. Politics are mostly liberal, treehuggers abound, fishing is great. But it is roughly an hours drive to the coast or mountains to get weekend, mini-vacations. Bottom line, anyone can fault with where they live and look for greener pastures. I have traveled for extended periods to cities worldwide, resided in California, Indiana, Ohio and Oregon, but I finally chose to LIVE in Oregon. Ultimately, you have to try it for yourself.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:29 PM

13,190 posts, read 9,226,438 times
I had one friend who moved back to Florida because she had SAAD. I know many more people who moved from Portland because they could not find a job or they had one but could not make ends meet between their salaries and the cost of living here.

It's been my observation that the lack jobs is the main reason people give up and move elsewhere.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:09 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,248,186 times
My friends in Portland sent me this link to an article in the NYT yesterday or the day before...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/04/re...te&oref=slogin

To answer the thread's question, more people are moving into Portland than are moving out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland