Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,636 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to these boards, but I've spent a couple of days looking for some useful information. Sadly I haven't a topic similar to my situation.

I'm currently a student in NYC, and I'm looking to move once the semester is over. After I save some money of course. I noticed people seem uneasy about all the transplants from nyc and california, but I hope someone can help.

The main reason I want to move is, well, New York is just too expensive for a fresh out off college kid. And I don't want roommates. Portland seems like a cool place to live. The gloomy weather actually appeals to me, and I really wouldn't mind a slower paced city. Pot laws are pretty relaxed too, which is a big plus for me.

I need help finding an area that suits me though. I heard the pearl district is like downtown. How much would renting a 1 bedroom apartment cost? Although I would really prefer a 2 bedroom if it's not too expensive. My budget for a 1br is probably around 800 or lesss, but I wouldn't mind spending 1000 on a decent 2br. However if the pearl district is too expensive, then what are some nice alternative urban areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 12:49 AM

29 posts, read 86,913 times
The Pearl District is relatively an artisy area. Not too bad, but can be expensive. Try Beaverton, OR as well as the Pearl.

<http://www.beavertonoregon.gov/>

as Apt's. are generally affordable.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:28 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,679 times
Beaverton is suburbia.

You will be required to own a car just to survive. Unless your job takes you out that way, or you have a desire to live in the 'burbs, stick with Portland city. Living in typical suburbia is what a lot of people want, and there are lots of living places for that. If that's you desire, you will love it.

However, if you are more of a "City" person, you most likely will enjoy many of the neighborhoods of Portland City, where you can take advantage of a lower carbon footprint by using the Bus System. Depends a lot on where you end up with a job or continuing your education. Seriously, 1st decide what you will do here, then think about a place to live.

I presume you have found links to Portland's neighborhoods and have been reading up on the differences between them. But think about Sellwood, Hollywood, and of course Belmont, and Hawthorne areas. But for all I know, you may find the artsy and very trendy area of NW 23rd street just to your liking, since you being from NYC. The people there are very,.... what's the word I want.... disposable income stylish types, maybe? Anyway, a lot of people like it but you got to see it to understand the anger 23rd street residences draws from others out in the 'burbs.

But a word in your ear if I may, please do not presume Pot laws are relaxed here. Inaccurate rumor, from what I know. Medical use of Pot, yes, there is tolerance. Medical paperwork MUST be all in order, however. And tolerance among friends as most anywhere else also. But employers are as tolerant here as anyplace else, which means NOT. Read craigslist.com; almost nobody wants drug users as housemates. Some Apartment buildings are banning tobacco use by renters on their property, including inside their apartments. A few only specify "smoking" of any leafy vegetation will cause an increase in rent by 2 or 3 hundred dollars per month and forfeit of deposit (so you will move out.) You want tolerance, own, don't rent, your home. Anyway, 'nuff said.

You will like it here.

Phil

Last edited by philwithbeard; 11-24-2009 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: Paragraph seperation

Old 11-24-2009, 03:08 PM

286 posts, read 521,154 times
Hi lift lifted,

I won’t be moving to Portland until sometime between February and March, but my wife and I recently spent 3 weekends looking for downtown apartments, so I can tell you what we found.

The downtown rental rates are higher than the burbs and the Pearl district seems to be the highest of all the downtown areas. But it looks like there’re a glut of vacant apartment buildings, new and old, so many were willing to negotiate on the rent, parking costs and deposits.

We put a deposit on an apartment very close to the Pearl after they reduced the advertised rate by $150, waived the $500 pet deposit and gave us free parking. But I seriously doubt that you’ll find a 2br in the Pearl for anything close to $1000, you’ll be lucky to find a studio for that price.

If you want to spend less and be close to downtown, I would look at the Goose Hollow district just west of the Pearl where there seems to be a lot of older apartment buildings. I’m sure someone who lives in Portland can give you a lot more detailed info.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,636 times
Thanks for the advice everyone. I decided on maybe finding a place near downtown instead. I figured I would be able to afford a car if the rent is low enough. How's Beaverton or Tigard? How much would a 2 bedroom go for?

Old 12-09-2009, 01:51 AM

29 posts, read 86,913 times
I believe this websites will help in your search.

<http://portland.apartments.com/>

<http://www.apartmentguide.com/>

Both Beaverton and Tigard have some nice apartments. You may also wish to check the apartments in Tualatin. Good luck.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:19 PM

18 posts, read 77,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lift lifted View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone. I decided on maybe finding a place near downtown instead. I figured I would be able to afford a car if the rent is low enough. How's Beaverton or Tigard? How much would a 2 bedroom go for?
Rental prices are pretty easy to find - just go to craigslist and search the rentals with your neighborhood of choice. I've found it's helpful to have googlemaps open in another window/tab so you can plot out exactly where places are.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:53 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
The nice thing about Craig's list is that you can search by the amount of rent you want to spend as well as the area. It will also give you an idea of which neighborhoods will fit your budget.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:37 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,554,439 times
In ancient times I too was a recent college graduate... You didn't mention employment. There are lots of young adults with great work experience receiving unemployment at the moment.

You would be smarter to have a couple years experience in your field before moving to Portland.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:53 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
What Nell said.

You didn't mention what field you will be in when you graduate. There are few demands in most employment areas here but you might have a chance if you are in a specialized area of work. You will have a lot of competition being a new college graduate in just about any field.

It's good you have time to save money and work out a plan.

I also have to agree with PhilWithBeard, be very careful with the attitude about pot. It is not welcomed in all circles and I don't think that Porltand is any more lenient than other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland