U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-25-2009, 01:10 PM
 
5 posts, read 14,799 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Thank you all for the information! Whew, I've got a lot to read!

So, upon further thinking, we are considering a complex. We've been in a house for awhile, and that's what we are accustomed to, but now I'm thinking convience would be nice! Plus ammenities like pool, gym, playground.....

As far as the KY hospitality, I'm not concerned. We're from a relatively large city (Louisville) so we've never really known our neighbors or had that "down home" feeling people think about with KY.

FIOS would be a HUGE plus. My husband is a partner in a software development company, so definitely a big benefit, but not a make or break deal.

We do have a car, but I'd love to have an area where we can walk to shops, coffee houses, restaurants, and also be close to the big box stores like Costco, Target, Trader Joe's (I don't mind driving to these places, but a short drive would be nice). Close proximity to mass transit highly desired.

My biggest hurdle is just determining what areas I'm actually looking at and if the complex is actually nice or a total crapshoot. I know that's hard to determine online. One I have become interested with is LaSalle LaSalle Apartments - 15021 SW Millikan Way - Beaverton - EquityApartments.com
3br/3ba, 1500sq ft, garage, $1250 - sounds nice, but is it? It seems cheap for the size from what I'm used to, so I don't know if that's on par for the area or if it's skuzzy. If anyone has any feedback on the complex or the area that would be grand!

Thanks again guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-27-2009, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Portland, OR
9,594 posts, read 9,424,935 times
Reputation: 9198
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
Finally, um, the biggest threat to the Earth is massive overpopulation, not carbon itself - although the overpopulation causes the pollution in the first place.
Blue, you are far too intelligent to be so black and white about the entire socio-economic balance of the free world. More than half of the 6.5 Billion people on the planet have a negligible effect on carbon or anything else for that matter. Overpopulation is the least of humanity's problems. The incalculably inequitable income distribution of the planet is, and will ultimately be our undoing. I don't know about you but it really doesn't matter a whole lot that the greenies want me out of my car. I am! I haven't been able to keep a car on the road in five years. Once I stopped fighting the fact and accepted reality and worked within the parameters of my reality a whole new world of self sufficiency and some measure of comfort opened up. You had better believe that several hundred milion cars, SUV's, semi-tractor trailers and diesel locomotives have a deleterious effect on our atmosphere. However, whether you want to be a car hog or car lite or car free is still entirely up to you.

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2009, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Portland, OR
9,594 posts, read 9,424,935 times
Reputation: 9198
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolipopfailure View Post
FIOS would be a HUGE plus. My husband is a partner in a software development company, so definitely a big benefit, but not a make or break deal.

We do have a car, but I'd love to have an area where we can walk to shops, coffee houses, restaurants, and also be close to the big box stores like Costco, Target, Trader Joe's (I don't mind driving to these places, but a short drive would be nice). Close proximity to mass transit highly desired.
FIOS for me has proved a huge disappointment. We moved a couple of blocks last May and Verizon forced us to upgrade to FIOS. Previously, when we wanted FIOS we couldn't have it because it wasn't available. I haven't seen ANY improvment over 1.5M DSL. In fact, the speed is so inconsistent that internet radio stations broadcasting at 64kps can lose carrier and need to be manually re-started. YMMV.

Put the address you gave in Google Maps (try it). Gag! You couldn't pay me to live there. Is it scuzzy? Heaven's no. It probably has higher end pretensions. So what. It is what me and my SO call a 'hive'. Close to mass transit? You betcha. The Beaverton Creek MAX stop is not far away. Trust me, you want MAX to be the backbone of your mass transit experience. MAX stops are ~1.5mi to ~2.0mi apart starting at Orenco Station heading East into Portland. Clustered around the MAX stops are mega-tracts of hives each four stories high with 16 units on each floor. Each is separated by a pathway but the units have no separation between them. Even middle class and high end people have drama and/or make noise. I have witnessed passengers disembark from the Westbound MAX blue line and be walking into the front door of their hive before the MAX train leaves the station!

Sounds ideal for the single, female, professional. What gets me is the near total absence of tree's. Except for carefully isolated groves of conifers here and there there is a shocking amount of big sky showing East of Orenco. If you like that, fine. Just know that you could pay the same amount and get the same amount of square footage in a much less suburban setting. A car will actually be a handicap in one of those 'villages'. I only rent cars but I have never actually been able to fit one in the garage of our first rental. The garage on our present rental is the size of a small aircraft hangar and could easily hold four or six of anything on the road today. We have three bedrooms and pay $800/mo. We are about 500ft. from the 3bd $1250/mo high end townhome that we rented last year fresh off the road and knowing nothing about Portland or its Metro Area. YMMV.

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2009, 04:57 AM
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
771 posts, read 1,307,777 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Blue, you are far too intelligent to be so black and white about the entire socio-economic balance of the free world. More than half of the 6.5 Billion people on the planet have a negligible effect on carbon or anything else for that matter. Overpopulation is the least of humanity's problems. The incalculably inequitable income distribution of the planet is, and will ultimately be our undoing. I don't know about you but it really doesn't matter a whole lot that the greenies want me out of my car. I am! I haven't been able to keep a car on the road in five years. Once I stopped fighting the fact and accepted reality and worked within the parameters of my reality a whole new world of self sufficiency and some measure of comfort opened up. You had better believe that several hundred milion cars, SUV's, semi-tractor trailers and diesel locomotives have a deleterious effect on our atmosphere. However, whether you want to be a car hog or car lite or car free is still entirely up to you.

H
With all due respect, we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Global warming is a political and not scientific agenda.

You can't shove everyone together in condos, force them to take mass transit, and force 'diversity' on everyone. Portland - parts of it - and a few college towns in the US, and a couple of other metros, say San Francisco, etc. - are pushing this agenda, but the rest of the US is not buying.

I'll willing to bet $20 you don't have children... and our society is not set up to bike everywhere. And I'm a bike commuter with kids, but you need to be practical and realize that having a car is part of life for *most* people and we are not going to uninvest in trillions of dollars of infrastructure to satisfy the extremist agenda - from the perspective of most Americans, not just the right - that is running around screaming "the sky is falling! the sky is falling!"

We should probably move this discussion to another forum, but this type of thinking is one reason that if I do decide to apply for and get the promotion to Vancouver that I'll live in the WA side of the river, thank you very much! Portland seems to ape the leftists extremism of tax and spend (on groups that contribute nothing to the economy) over-regulation, etc. that is ultimately going to be its economic undoing.

P.S. My children live with their Mom in Connecticut during the school year and the ONLY reason I can bike commute is because I live near Sac's core and there is a viable system of bike lanes. Even with that, and more awareness of cyclists here, it is still EXTREMELY dangerous to cycle to work here... which is why I only ride during the spring, summer, and early fall months to work. If I did not work in downtown Sac, I'd be living out in the burbs like everyone else. The *only* reason I take the bus because its free from my employer and it happens to be convenient to where I rent now... but if my children came out here to school, I'd move to the burbs and drive like everyone else, to get away from the gang banger schools that have been created by a tax and spend California gov't that has simply brought underclass to the state for the overtly generous welfare benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2009, 08:32 PM
 
5 posts, read 8,875 times
Reputation: 10
Default moving to Portland, Random Question

Question, and yes im serious. My husband and I along with our 2 year old son will be relocating soon.. we narrowed it down to Northern California ( we live is Los Angeles, CA) or to portland. We are just sick of the city and need a huge change. So my question is... My husband is concerned because he is Hispanic that if we move to Portland.. He might be part of a "hate crime" i told him its just ridicules... but any advice that I can tell him??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2009, 09:29 PM
 
Location: PNW
682 posts, read 2,046,540 times
Reputation: 631
There's a huge Hispanic population here, especially in western Washington County. No worries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2009, 10:05 PM
 
5 posts, read 8,875 times
Reputation: 10
we were concidering hillsboro.. how is the rent, communities??are there targets, walmarts??? Malls? LOL so many questions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by figmalt View Post
There's a huge Hispanic population here, especially in western Washington County. No worries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2009, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
20,862 posts, read 22,440,374 times
Reputation: 32599
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie2216 View Post
we were concidering hillsboro.. how is the rent, communities??are there targets, walmarts??? Malls? LOL so many questions..
The best way to determine where to live is to start from where you work and then check into what neighborhoods are convenient to the area. Hillsboro may be a good place for you but not if your job is at the other end of town creating a long and tiring commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2009, 01:02 AM
 
Location: PNW
682 posts, read 2,046,540 times
Reputation: 631
There are several Targets in the area, but no Walmarts at all in Washington County. There will be one in Cornelius in 2010 or 2011 (the closest are in Portland, St. Helens, and McMinnville). The closest mall would be Streets of Tanasbourne, and Washington Square in Tigard.


Rent for two bedroom apartments start around $700-900, houses are more like $1200-1500.

I've lived all over Beaverton, western Portland, and Hillsboro. I prefer Hillsboro, as it actually feels like a town with a core downtown, active fairgrounds, and responsive city leaders. It's not a just a "suburb." Other people may feel differently, though.

If you have strong connections to the Hispanic community, Hillsboro or Cornelius are good choices. There are several Hispanic grocery stores, restaurants, language immersion programs in the schools, and so on. Some people view this as a drawback, but I think it's great that people are living the dream, building successful businesses, and taking part in the community.

Minervah's right though, commute is a big issue to consider as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2009, 03:36 AM
 
Location: Florida
6,262 posts, read 16,961,295 times
Reputation: 4690
Quote:
Originally Posted by figmalt View Post
There are several Targets in the area, but no Walmarts at all in Washington County. There will be one in Cornelius in 2010 or 2011 (the closest are in Portland, St. Helens, and McMinnville). The closest mall would be Streets of Tanasbourne, and Washington Square in Tigard.


Rent for two bedroom apartments start around $700-900, houses are more like $1200-1500.

I've lived all over Beaverton, western Portland, and Hillsboro. I prefer Hillsboro, as it actually feels like a town with a core downtown, active fairgrounds, and responsive city leaders. It's not a just a "suburb." Other people may feel differently, though.

If you have strong connections to the Hispanic community, Hillsboro or Cornelius are good choices. There are several Hispanic grocery stores, restaurants, language immersion programs in the schools, and so on. Some people view this as a drawback, but I think it's great that people are living the dream, building successful businesses, and taking part in the community.

Minervah's right though, commute is a big issue to consider as well.
the Woodburn WalMart is a Super WalMart. The teeny one in McMinnville isn't worth the horrible drive to get there. Don't know what the traffic issue from Newberg through Dundee is-but it has stopped me from going to McMinnville totally.
Woodburn also seems to have huge hispanic population. I'm not sure why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top