U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 03:58 AM

1,657 posts, read 3,881,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie2216 View Post
... So my question is... My husband is concerned because he is Hispanic that if we move to Portland.. He might be part of a "hate crime" i told him its just ridicules... but any advice that I can tell him??
I am shocked by your husband is having such a concern for the Portland community. Does he have any reason for his concern?

I do no belong to a racial minority. I have not heard of racially motivated "hate crime" since I moved to Portland. Trust me, local newspaper and tabloids would make a big, REALLY big deal of any such occurrence.

But, yes, Portland is different from So Cal. Portland drivers do get mad at anyone from So Cal who drives like they do in So Cal. Different road culture up here. But the anger is directed to anyone with car plates from California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie2216 View Post
we were concidering hillsboro.. how is the rent, communities??are there targets, walmarts??? Malls?
Portland city is unique. It may take some getting use to it. Portland does have 'burbs, like Hillsboro, but there are also areas of Portland City itself that just as nice and offer lots of Mass Transit options as well. Hillsboro is a nice community to live. But there are others as well, if you find Hillsboro isn't exactly a good fit.

As posted before: having a job, and commute distance is important here.

I am sure you know that Portland is much further north, and weather is an issue up here. Light rain on and off with overcast sky for days and days during Winter.

Please come up for a visit, and see for yourself(s).

Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 08:56 AM

5 posts, read 8,879 times
Default excited

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
you're great, thank you. My husbands only concern is hate crimes really. He works for the Superior Court here in CA. and he deals with all sorts of crimes day in and day out ( speaking of which how is your court system up there? are they hiring? ). And he is concerned about him being Hispanic and myself being white there might be some sort of crime. We are looking just for a suburb ( just a nice area really...) actually it doesn’t even have to be a suburb.. it can be in the city.. just a NICE part.. safe with access to stores LOL.. I am not sure how the pay rate is up there.. but going by what we make down here we are looking maybe around 1000-1100 being max.. and of course cheaper is better LOL.. any information you can provide will help.. This thread is amazing and you all are so helpful.. we do plan on making a trip up there some time in the new year and spend a week or two.. just to get a fill for it.. We both have lived in CA our whole life’s and both hate it.. we hate the heat.. we wish it rained more or snowed..we hate the traffic... we just plan hate it here..We will be sure to change our license plate ASAP tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
I am shocked by your husband is having such a concern for the Portland community. Does he have any reason for his concern?

I do no belong to a racial minority. I have not heard of racially motivated "hate crime" since I moved to Portland. Trust me, local newspaper and tabloids would make a big, REALLY big deal of any such occurrence.

But, yes, Portland is different from So Cal. Portland drivers do get mad at anyone from So Cal who drives like they do in So Cal. Different road culture up here. But the anger is directed to anyone with car plates from California.

Portland city is unique. It may take some getting use to it. Portland does have 'burbs, like Hillsboro, but there are also areas of Portland City itself that just as nice and offer lots of Mass Transit options as well. Hillsboro is a nice community to live. But there are others as well, if you find Hillsboro isn't exactly a good fit.

As posted before: having a job, and commute distance is important here.

I am sure you know that Portland is much further north, and weather is an issue up here. Light rain on and off with overcast sky for days and days during Winter.

Please come up for a visit, and see for yourself(s).

Phil

Old 12-29-2009, 10:09 AM

jamie2216:

The following is about the City of Portland, others can post about the suburbs.

The City of Portland is divided up into many neighborhoods. Each neighborhood has its own unique 'feel' and a walk-to small shopping / tavern / restaurants area. Here is a link to a map:
Neighborhood Maps and Boundaries

On that same web page, across the top are some tabs, and if you hoover you mouse over the My Neighborhood, a drop down menu of major geographical areas pops up. Select an area and click. You will go to another page with a listing of Neighborhood associations. Pick one, any one and click on it. The next page (for each Neighborhood's Detail page) will be a link to the crime statistics for for that specific neighborhood. Your husband should be able to view and understand the statistics. Compared to my living in Detroit's suburbs, Portland has low crime rates, not zero, but low.

Also, on the detailed neighborhood pages, there is a link to the 2000 census data for racial diversity. Most of Portland's neighborhoods have low racial diversity. Do not take that as a sign of racial prejudiced, it simply is what it is.

A real estate lady put together a web site with lots of information on Portland's neighborhoods and describing what makes each of them unique. Yes, It is rah-rah pushing the real estate markets. A bit underplaying the downside of a few neighborhoods.
Susan's Online Guide to Portland Oregon - The City of Roses
(since this issue came up in another thread: I have no business relationship with the person(s) hosting that web site. I regard the information it contains useful, it is a web site with good information.)

As for jobs, I cannot offer any specific information. Unemployment is high in Oregon, as with the rest of the country.
You may have found this link already for the state of Oregon Department of Employment:
Employment Department Job Listings

Aside: Portland in in Multnomah county (a small geographically square miles county but largest population.)
Hillsboro is in Washington county. Eastern portion of Washington county is suburbs and neighboring communties of Portland.
There are a lot of suburban communities to the south and west of Portland that are in Clackamas county. Clackamas county is a very large mostly agricultural county with only a small percentage of it's area around Portland is suburb development.
Oregon County Map - Geology.com

One last note: Just like in California, All of Oregon is not Portland, and Portland is not all of Oregon.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:56 AM

20,873 posts, read 22,456,852 times
A little while ago, like a couple of months, the Multnomah County Courthouse was having people cut back to four days a week for a certain number of weeks rather than be laid off. I don't know about other Courts but you should google the suburb or city and see if they are hiring.

As stated, lack of jobs is the problem I would worry about that a lot more than the prospect of hate crimes which isn't too likely. It is not wise to move here without having a job no matter what field you are in.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:18 PM

20 posts, read 69,838 times
Not sure how much this helps, but I'll share my experience.
I moved to Portland six months ago and have happily settled in Irvington in the inner-NE and I highly recommend this area.
Initially I wanted to rent a house in the "Hawthorne District" in the inner-SE - (Richmond, Sunnyside, Belmont... within walking distance of Hawthorne and Division) however couldn't find a whole house at my price-point (under $1000.)
By chance I stumbled across Irvington which has big craftsman homes, many large enough to be divided into two or more apartments, one apartment per floor. More affordable than a whole house, you still get the house feel with garden access and off-street parking. There are many 2bdrs, some 3 bdrs (although you would find the search easier at your price-point if you dropped to a 2 bdrs.)
It's a 12 min walk to the Lloyds center and MAX station. Three bus lines that go into downtown within 2 mins walk. Plenty of restaurants and bars within a few minutes walk on Broadway and a much smaller selection on Fremont.
Other areas around Irvington include:
  • Grant Park - smaller houses, less trees
  • Sullivan's Gulch - quiet little backwater off Broadway, mixture of houses and condos
  • Dolph Park - large, upscale (expensive) homes
  • Alameda - a whole range of prices from Fremont up to Alberta

Old 01-05-2010, 08:49 PM

3 posts, read 21,896 times
IMO there are no "good" neighborhoods in Portland. After living here a year and watching the news daily, there seems to be no place in that town from what I have seen. At first I thought it was south Portland that was bad, but north Portland seems to be even worse. Shootings, home invasions, missing persons...its ridiculous. I have not been impressed by this town and only moved here to go to college (and what a joke that college turned out to be!). Since you have a child, I would also advise home schooling as the funding for schools in this area is a huge joke.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:59 PM

716 posts, read 2,420,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing_Montana View Post
Since you have a child, I would also advise home schooling as the funding for schools in this area is a huge joke.
It's not the funding. $'s spent/student are in line with the rest of the country. The problem is the corrupt teachers union that fights any attempt to improve the education system. It's also parents for assuming "the system" is responsible for teaching kids.

In reality it's parents that are responsible for their kids education and one tool they have is the public school system. However they have an equal responsibility to participate.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing_Montana View Post
IMO there are no "good" neighborhoods in Portland. After living here a year and watching the news daily, there seems to be no place in that town from what I have seen. At first I thought it was south Portland that was bad, but north Portland seems to be even worse. Shootings, home invasions, missing persons...its ridiculous. I have not been impressed by this town and only moved here to go to college (and what a joke that college turned out to be!). Since you have a child, I would also advise home schooling as the funding for schools in this area is a huge joke.
From your user_name, may I presume you are from Montana?

Portland is a city. Period. The point is to compare Portland with other cities of similar size, not rural places in Montana, Idaho, or the like. Not a fair comparison. Have you been following the Seattle crimes as closely during the same period of time? I think Portland comes out as being, relatively speaking, as a good large city to live in; it isn't a HUGE MEGA city, just a large city.

Oh, and advising someone about home schooling can be iffy. It can take 15 years to fully appreciate the complete impact of home-schooling on a specific child. It requires that one parent stay home with the child for the schooling part; in today's economy it sometimes takes two working parents in a family. Also, not all parents are equal in teaching a child. Taking and dropping off a child to some sort of 'home schooling center' is another phrase for a private school, IMHO. And this I know from living on the other side of the Mississippi River for so many years...Not *All* Private Schools are better than Public Schools. A few private schools are actually worse academically. I venture to guess the same can be said for children who are Home Schooled, not *all* are academically better off than children attending their local public school.

And as for the Funding of Schools, did you know that in the 60+ years I have been living in some 8 states, almost everyone *knows* about the school funding problem in cities, it's causes and it's solution(s) but No One is going to advocate the solution what-so-ever. The solution is for each state sets the same property tax rate for their entire state, collects the taxes, and distributes the revenue based on student enrollment, transplantation costs, and such. Taxes in suburban "tax havens" jumps thousands of dollars per year and voter revolt occurs. Not going to happen. (Mainly because of the Golden Rule: He who has the Gold, Makes The Rules; local school districts loose control of schools in favor of state government.)

Phil

Last edited by philwithbeard; 01-05-2010 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: Gold rule error

Old 01-05-2010, 11:40 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,694,559 times
We're really happy with our sons' elementary school. Great teachers that show commitment to the students and lots of parental involvement. I have heard there's a lot of variability in quality within the Portland Public Schools (we're in Beaverton schools).

I don't really know about your teachers' union comment, Dave, but I wholeheartedly agree with you about parental involvement.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:04 AM

682 posts, read 2,048,046 times
For a better understanding of school funding in Oregon, check out these links:
Access Quality Education: Oregon Litigation

http://www.willamette.edu/centers/pu...on_funding.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or