U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-26-2009, 08:09 PM

454 posts, read 596,801 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone !!!!
I want to go there on this coming monday and wonder :
Do i need snow chains to go up Mt.Hood at this current temp? What is the best route to go there from Beaverton ?
Longer route would be ok if road condition is better .
Thank you
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 08:36 PM

4,202 posts, read 8,157,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery1 View Post
Hi everyone !!!!
Do i need snow chains to go up Mt.Hood at this current temp? What is the best route to go there from Beaverton ?
Thank you
For road conditions, check the cams and weather report here:

TripCheck - Road Cams, Road & Weather Conditions in Oregon - ODOT

Not a lot of choice in how to get to Mt Hood from where you are - Hwy 26 through Sandy is really the only way. You can go up the northern route through Hood River, but the road isn't any better and it's much longer.

To get to Hwy 26, you can either go out I-84 and turn south at Wood Village or Troutdale or go the long way down Division.

TripCheck says it's required to carry chains but not required to have them on the tires. If it snows between now and then, that can change.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:51 PM

9,976 posts, read 7,221,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery1 View Post
Hi everyone !!!!
Thank you
Are you driving a 4WD or AWD vehicle? Are you experienced at driving in winter conditions? If so, I'd say chains would be optional. I've driven my Subaru up there for years without snow tires or chains on it. However if you're planning on going up to Timberline Lodge, you might need chains if it's snowed recently or icy. The road up to there is fairly steep at the beginning. If your are just going to Ski Bowl or Meadows or around Government Camp than Hwy 26 usually isn't that bad for the most part if you drive carefully.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:05 PM

Thank you all.... I bought a tire chains to be sure but the road was beautiful this morning when we drove up there. Had a good time and went home without a scratch.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:24 AM

47 posts, read 22,988 times
so did it snow up there? Does it get lots of snow in the touristsy areas? I'm hoping I can take a trip and plan it when 4 feets of snow falls

Old 12-29-2009, 08:16 PM

4,629 posts, read 6,194,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPLive View Post
so did it snow up there? Does it get lots of snow in the touristsy areas? I'm hoping I can take a trip and plan it when 4 feets of snow falls
On the off chance you're serious check this link:
Conditions | Mount Hood Meadows Ski Resort

Re the four feet of snow: base snow depth is 58'; mid snow depth is 61' - it's expected to snow over one foot tonight.

Take a look at the 360 degree vids; check the US Snowboard team on a downhill run at 1:13.....I think there'll be enough snow for you to handle.

Good luck on getting there one day~

Old 12-30-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
On the off chance you're serious check this link:
Conditions | Mount Hood Meadows Ski Resort

Re the four feet of snow: base snow depth is 58'; mid snow depth is 61' - it's expected to snow over one foot tonight.

Take a look at the 360 degree vids; check the US Snowboard team on a downhill run at 1:13.....I think there'll be enough snow for you to handle.

Good luck on getting there one day~
thanks.. yea i'm very serious. In winter it would be frustrating to me that it doesnt snow around the city, so I would love to have to take a trip up in the mountain and get my snow on and get that trapped inside feel

I don't ski though....

Old 12-30-2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:
thanks.. yea i'm very serious. In winter it would be frustrating to me that it doesnt snow around the city, so I would love to have to take a trip up in the mountain and get my snow on and get that trapped inside feel

I don't ski though....
Well...... Its snowing and i LOVE IT

Old 12-30-2009, 10:22 AM

4,629 posts, read 6,194,439 times
Quote:
thanks.. yea i'm very serious. In winter it would be frustrating to me that it doesnt snow around the city, so I would love to have to take a trip up in the mountain and get my snow on and get that trapped inside feel I don't ski though....
OK, I thought you were speaking of Mt. Hood specifically. Rarely do we ever get that much snow (4") down here in Portland. You'd have to head up to the Cascades and to Mt. Hood for that. It is well worth it, though.

There are so many little towns up Hwy 26 towards Mt. Hood that are very beautiful in the winter (mostly "pit-stops" where you can get something to eat). I don't know how you could feel 'trapped' on Mt. Hood. It's not a complete forest as you can see, but a ski resort.

If you go through that link I gave you, you will find that they have classes for not only little children who are beginners but also adult beginners. For snowboarders and skiers alike.

There's a lot of wilderness around Portland, specifically I'm speaking of Clackamas County, of which Mt. Hood is a part. During winter, I guarantee you will find snow within an hour's drive of Portland.

Much luck to your visiting ~

Old 01-01-2010, 02:54 AM

thanks wicked

I always feel that if its going to be cold .... It should snow to make all beautiful. kind of shakes things up ...... people come together more also and are more friendly. of course more pretty too.

BP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland