U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:03 AM

47 posts, read 93,205 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am new to this Forum, I was really excited to find it because my wife and I recently decided to move to Portland and we are making plans and trying to collect as much information as we can and plan on visiting it now in 2010. I was wondering about job prospects in Portland or the surrounding area, I don't mind living a little outside of Portland as long as it's not too far so I can still enjoy the city. Anyway, I am a Certified Pharmacy Technician and I will be en EMT by June of 2010 (I really want to work for AMR) and plan on pursuing my Paramedic liscense in Portland. My wife is a certified Pharmacy Technician. I was wondering what our chances are to find jobs in Portland. I have a bunch of questions but for now I'll start with this as I don't really no where to begin lol. I really enjoy reading this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 10:22 AM

4,628 posts, read 8,908,285 times
I think you might check with Walgreen's for CPhT, or maybe even Costco. Walgreens seems to be opening up stores all over the place.

Start contacting AMR now...it can't hurt. Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue (TVF&R) are one of the largest fire companies in this part of the state, and busiest, as is Clackamas Fire District I. They're sure busy enough to keep hiring people - I mean AMR, that is. It's never too early to start making contacts. Good luck to you ~

Old 12-30-2009, 10:27 AM

Wow that's great news! Thanks! After reading how bad the job market is there I was a little worried but I feel a lot better now thanks! Portland seems like such an amazing city. My wife and I seem to fit in with the vibe of the city very well. We both love the rain and the cloudy days, we like the idea of good public transportation because here in Miami it's ridiculous, I can't wait to get to know the city.
Thanks again, I'll be posting a lot on here lol.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:10 AM

A caveat....the job situation here is utterly horrendous. Please don't under estimate that. But you and your wife have specific skills which will always be in need, I believe. You may not get a job right here in Portland, but AMR is huge, as you know. Just keep trying.

My friend's sister is a Paramedic w/AMR. I just called her and here's the scoop: Oregon does not recognize Paramedic certs from other states. She's known Paramedics who got their certs in other states who have moved out of Oregon, because the testing here was too difficult.

It is apparently very difficult work to get a Paramedic cert in Oregon. You would have a lot of hoops to jump through even if you have your National Registry.

Good news: She told me she'll check with her training officer and find out the particulars for you. She's going to work tonight. (I woke her up ).

Semi-good news: Metro-West is almost always hiring according to her, but AMR is definitely the place you want to be.

TVF&R - Twice received a National Award for Excellence
CFD I - Is one of only 116 worldwide Departments to be Internationally accredited.
AMR as you know works closely with these firefighters....it's worth the extra work you'll have to put in.

Last edited by Wicked Felina; 12-30-2009 at 11:21 AM..

Old 12-30-2009, 01:03 PM

3,402 posts, read 5,416,317 times
This index might prove helpful to people considering a move to Portland.

"The Job Search Difficulty Index provides a useful guide to the relative difficulties faced by job seekers in particular geographies, but should be considered in the context of the well known challenges of measuring and analyzing unemployment data.":

Juju.com Releases Job Search Difficulty Index for Major Cities (December 2009) (http://www.job-search-engine.com/press/Juju-Releases-December-2009-Job-Search-Difficulty-Index - broken link)

Old 12-30-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
My friend's sister is a Paramedic w/AMR. I just called her and here's the scoop: Oregon does not recognize Paramedic certs from other states. She's known Paramedics who got their certs in other states who have moved out of Oregon, because the testing here was too difficult.

It is apparently very difficult work to get a Paramedic cert in Oregon. You would have a lot of hoops to jump through even if you have your National Registry.

Good news: She told me she'll check with her training officer and find out the particulars for you. She's going to work tonight. (I woke her up ).

Semi-good news: Metro-West is almost always hiring according to her, but AMR is definitely the place you want to be.
Thanks so much I really appreciate it, and tell your sister I'm sorry you woke her up because of me can't wait to hear what she has to say. I plan on becoming a Paramedic after I move to Oregon which I think is better, I just plan on moving as a certified EMT atleast. I just hope the pay is better there for EMT's and Paramedics than here in Miami which is just above minimum wage.

Oh I found this on EMS reciprocity, it was very informative. http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/ems/certific/recip.shtml

Oh I also found this site but I have no idea where this company is located and I was wondering if anyone here knew... http://emsdreamjob.com/

Last edited by Danny_CPhT/EMT; 12-30-2009 at 04:44 PM..

Old 12-30-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_CPhT/EMT View Post
Thanks so much I really appreciate it, and tell your sister I'm sorry you woke her up because of me can't wait to hear what she has to say. I plan on becoming a Paramedic after I move to Oregon which I think is better, I just plan on moving as a certified EMT atleast. I just hope the pay is better there for EMT's and Paramedics than here in Miami which is just above minimum wage.

Oh I found this on EMS reciprocity, it was very informative. Oregon EMT Reciprocity

Oh I also found this site but I have no idea where this company is located and I was wondering if anyone here knew... Hello & Welcome! | EMS Dream Job
She just called me back. You're sure going about it the right way. Good for you! Her supervisor actually did the same thing you are doing, got his EMT cert in California, came up here to Oregon to get his courses in anatomy, physiology, etc. (an AA degree will be required for Paramedic Cert). It's a lot easier that way.

She never heard of that other company.

The site for reciprocity is the same one he suggested you go to...it'll give you all the info you need. There are about four or five schools for Parameds up here in the Portland area.

You sound very level-headed and are checking things out pretty well. Anyway, wish you the best when you get here.....

Old 12-31-2009, 05:02 AM

Thank you so much! I'm glad I'm going about it the right way. Thank your sister for me I'm glad I seem level headed, sometimes I think I dream too much lol. I'm so curious about that other company though, the guy wrote soooo much information except what company it is lol. I e-mailed him but still nothing. Anyway, I'm so glad I decided to do it the right way, it's nice to hear her supervisor did the same thing. Now I'm just hoping the money will be good because everything seems to going our way right now

Old 12-31-2009, 05:46 AM

47 posts, read 84,358 times
no worries you should get a couple bucks above minimum wage from what I understand

Old 12-31-2009, 08:58 AM

that's great! thanks so much for all your help, I'm so happy with all the good news. Have a happy new year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or