U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2010, 11:02 AM

3 posts, read 4,663 times

Advertisements

Happy New Year Everyone! My husband and I are moving to McMinnville early this month. We are both very excited about the move from San Diego. We both are originally from the eastern portion of the country, so we're familiar with having the 4 seasons. However, I grew up in Pittsburgh PA, where they only have 60 days of sunshine per year. It was a very depressing experience for me. Mainly because it was dreary and/or immersed in heavy rain for days on end. Is the McMinnville area the same way? Or, are there any breaks in the sun periodically throughout the day? Is it a drizzle or a downpour most of the time? I thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 12:48 PM

663 posts, read 1,583,189 times
I lived in Pittsburgh as of 4.5 years ago. If the lack of sun affected you negatively in Pittsburgh, I'd think there would be a very high chance you'd feel the same way here. I didn't mind the weather in Pittsburgh and I don't mind it here.

To me, the grey in Pittsburgh versus the grey in Portland is different. In Pittsburgh, I found the grey much uglier. Maybe its due to the higher clouds and more flat light. Couple that with most of the plant life being brown and its not very attractive. In Portland, it seems the grey stems from much lower clouds. They occassionally open up and the sun peers through...maybe only for a few seconds. Most things are still green. Some greener than in summer. I find it much more attractive. I know it sounds strange comparing grey days, but I swear there is a difference.

We are off to a bad track record for 2010. It has rained every day this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland