Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 02:49 PM

55 posts, read 233,651 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I currently live in Florida near Clearwater. My family is all in California. I miss the west, the humidity has been getting to me. I have sadly never been north of San Francisco, can you believe it! Have always wanted to visit Oregon. I imagine it is a beautiful state based on pictures and what people tell me.
We have 2 children under 3 years of age. Our son, 2, has Down syndrome. Looking for a small town near a bigger town or city( for hospitals and services for special needs).
If you were looking for a place to raise your children, where would your consider in the state of Oregon that would meet those needs.
Also in your opinion does it really rain alot! How much is alot? Is it cloudy all the time? Sorry for sounding ignorant.
I watch that show Little People Big World and they live outside of Portland and it looks so beautiful there and often sunny. Of course I know they do not film everyday and all year!
Thanks any opinions greatly appreciated.
Jess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 03:32 PM

716 posts, read 2,816,516 times
Your need for large city hospitals and specialty services means Portland. There are plenty of small towns that are reasonably close. (Banks, Forest Grove, Newberg, Sandy, McMinnville, to name just a few)

You need to indicate how far you can be from major hospitals and services? You also didn't mention the all important factor of employment. Do you need employment or are you inpedendent? If you need work and don't have highly specialized skills and a local network to get something lined up then I'd stay put.

Rainfall is about 40" a year. Mid Nov - March is a mix of gray, overcast, drizzly, wet, icey, snowy. You can go for weeks without ever seeing the sun. (some people just can't handle the gloom and are miserable here in the winter, others love it). April - mid June is still wet with teaser periods of Spring. mid June - Oct is wonderful -not too hot or humid, dry and very pleasant.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:41 PM

151 posts, read 233,108 times
If you need the best services and expertise in the state, you should go with Portland, but Oregon's next largest cities might well suit you fine as well. Eugene, Salem, Corvallis, perhaps Bend. I grew up in Corvallis (around 50,000 people) and there were numerous kids with Down Syndrome there and a solid regional hospital.

The Willamette Valley (Portland, Salem, Eugene) is grey for 7 to 8 months of the year, with some rain usually multiple times per week. Our winter rain tends to be drizzles or showers that last a few hours to all day. We don't get the rushing tropical downpours that the south gets. More just kind of constant.

If your first concern is, "does it rain too much", it may not be the place for you. (Of course, I'm looking out my window in January right now, and not August.)

Bend might be something to look into. It is in Central Oregon and gets many more sunny days per year. It is getting hit by the bad economy worse than the Willamette Valley. It was recently a boom town centered on real estate, and we all know how that has gone recently....

Constant advice on this board: try to figure out where you're going to work or otherwise support yourself before moving out.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:43 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
I too lived in Corvallis up until recently, and have lived in Eugene as well. Down Syndrome folks are very well integrated into both cities. I believe there are lots of services, and have friends who were very active in Special Olympics.

As for your question, "Does is rain too much?" my answer is, "Yes, especially today."

Old 01-05-2010, 06:04 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Well, you have had your rain question answered. Let me also add that as a tourist, I found Oregon to be really magnificent. Rainfall is modest June through September and the outdoors are superb. The Oregon coast is not to be missed. There are also plenty of other wonders: dunes, caves, waterfalls, more waterfalls, deserts, and high mountains.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:01 AM

3 posts, read 7,855 times
I am an East Coast girl and moved here 4 months ago. Don't come here. It is horrible. I would take the humidity any day than not seeing the freaking sun for weeks at a time. Winter it gets pitch black at 4!!!!!! Mold grows on everything outside! Come visit, but for the love of GOD!!!!!!! FIND THE SUN!!!! This is like ALASKA! There are dunes, waterfalls, caves and everything else jrkliny said in other places THAT HAVE SUN!!!! My out doors children came to me the other day and had dark circles under their eyes and asked if we could go "home" now (they meant VA). I'm pushing milk on them like a crack dealer because I am worried about vitamin D. I am an East Coast person, didn't grow up in the Pac Nw. I am used to that bright orb in the sky. This place will sap the life out of you. We have lived all over the US as my husband is in the military and this place is what zaps life and motivation right out of you!

Old 01-10-2010, 04:22 AM

47 posts, read 113,648 times
que in people who hate Florida or the south "!!!!!"

waiting waiting.

Tell more gigglediva. Should we rename you 'darkdiva' ?

Old 01-10-2010, 07:05 AM

716 posts, read 2,816,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglediva View Post
I am an East Coast girl and moved here 4 months ago. Don't come here. It is horrible. I would take the humidity any day than not seeing the freaking sun for weeks at a time. Winter it gets pitch black at 4!!!!!! Mold grows on everything outside! Come visit, but for the love of GOD!!!!!!! FIND THE SUN!!!! This is like ALASKA! There are dunes, waterfalls, caves and everything else jrkliny said in other places THAT HAVE SUN!!!! My out doors children came to me the other day and had dark circles under their eyes and asked if we could go "home" now (they meant VA). I'm pushing milk on them like a crack dealer because I am worried about vitamin D. I am an East Coast person, didn't grow up in the Pac Nw. I am used to that bright orb in the sky. This place will sap the life out of you. We have lived all over the US as my husband is in the military and this place is what zaps life and motivation right out of you!
That's why people need to come here and experience the area before making a commitment to move here.

Some people love the gloom, some people tolerate it and others can't handle it. You illustrate that opinions on the internet are no substitute for the actual experience.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:24 AM

499 posts, read 1,446,529 times
jjeska30, I was born and raised in Portland and lived there for about 10 of my adult years. The constant dark skies and drizzle can get one down. One of the reasons I now live in SF. But I miss the beautiful summers. As a West Coast native I, too, cannot take the humidity of the East Coast. Like others have said, check the area out in the winter or spring and see if all the gloom gets you down. Because it's usually a drizzle, it doesn't really curtail outdoor activities.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:10 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
It just depends on what kind of weather you like. The idea of living in back on the East Coast (I've lived in 6 states, 5 east of the Mississippi) gives me nightmares, I would personally take the rain and cloudiness over humidity or snow. Warm beautiful summers with NO mosquitoes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland