U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:55 AM

47 posts, read 67,446 times
yeah, I'm up for it, I'm a certified Pharmacy Technician and will be an EMT soon, I'm going to start applying to Walgreens, Costco, Target, Walmart, and if anyone knows any local pharmacies or markets with pharmacies I'd really appreciate the suggestions I'll try to find a job in my field but any job will do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 01:29 PM

86 posts, read 95,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_CPhT/EMT View Post
Yhbv24, thanks so much you've given me hope. You couldn't stand Miami either huh? That's good to know I'm definately going to think about doing that, you've clamed me down a bit lol
I very much disliked Miami. I am enjoying Portland far more... except the bars close too early =p.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:18 PM

13,476 posts, read 10,161,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_CPhT/EMT View Post
yeah, I'm up for it, I'm a certified Pharmacy Technician and will be an EMT soon, I'm going to start applying to Walgreens, Costco, Target, Walmart, and if anyone knows any local pharmacies or markets with pharmacies I'd really appreciate the suggestions I'll try to find a job in my field but any job will do
I think you have good skills. They aren't really common. So you might have a chance. The problem is that so many people take those "any jobs" that they are the most difficult to come by. But I think you are on the right track with the companies you mentioned since they are large and nationwide.

You also might want to check out Fred Meyer which is our local variety store owned by Kroger. All the stores have pharmacies in them. Rite Aid is another. There are a few small indepentdent drug stores but they are disappearing.
Don't forget the hospitals and clinics that have pharmacies in them too.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:40 AM

25 posts, read 44,281 times
I am in Michigan right now and applying for jobs in OR. I am an attorney and I am getting some response despite being across the country. I believe that if I was there, I would have already been interviewed several times. I have had lots of phone interviews. Husband and I are out there in May to find a place and get moving. Good luck!

Old 02-14-2010, 10:28 PM

5 posts, read 23,314 times
i'm in the same situation and i think it's actually more difficult finding a place to live without having a job. even with enough savings for 6 months rent and unemployment benefits, which is at least guaranteed income for several months. how can we find jobs unless we live in the area, and how can we live in the area if we have to have jobs before anyone will rent to us?
i don't know why a lot of people are saying to have enough savings to live in for a couple of years. is this just in the portland area? are jobs that scarce? i'm a dog groomer and i see 5 openings right now for groomers. should i be worried? i'm actually in portland as i type checking out the area for possible relocation.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:40 PM

13,476 posts, read 10,161,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobedog14 View Post
i'm in the same situation and i think it's actually more difficult finding a place to live without having a job. even with enough savings for 6 months rent and unemployment benefits, which is at least guaranteed income for several months. how can we find jobs unless we live in the area, and how can we live in the area if we have to have jobs before anyone will rent to us?
i don't know why a lot of people are saying to have enough savings to live in for a couple of years. is this just in the portland area? are jobs that scarce? i'm a dog groomer and i see 5 openings right now for groomers. should i be worried? i'm actually in portland as i type checking out the area for possible relocation.
Dog grooming may be a speciaty that is in demand so you have a leg-up on the competition for jobs. The point is and I can't stress this enough it is difficult enough for someone to get a job who is already living here. There are so many people looking for work because there are so many lay-offs the competition is fierce in most fields.

So yes, jobs are that scarce. At least in many fields. And two years worth of savings is not an over-estimate. I have been living in Portland for some 30 plus years and have been laid off several times. The last time, in 2001, it took me two years to find a good full time job with benefits. And then it was a place where I had already applied twice through HR. I finally got in because a friend of mine who worked there put in a good word for me with a supervisor so I was able to bypass HR.

That's a big part of getting a job in Portland; networking and knowing someone who can help you. Everytime I was laid off I got a new job that way. If you don't live here and don't have this advantage, it's more difficult. I am not saying you have to go this route but it sure helps.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:20 PM

73 posts, read 138,174 times
I know someone who moved from NM to PDX as an EMT (with 20 yrs experience) but still, like someone said you have fairly unusual skills. It shouldn't be too difficult. If you have a 3-6 month cushion, just move and start aggressively looking.

These people that say don't move here before having a job don't realize most companies don't hire sight unseen and they're certainly not going to fly you out here for an interview in this economy. Just do it.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:50 PM

7,783 posts, read 7,575,297 times
I don't know about availabilities for pharmacy technicians (Walgreen's continue to open news stores) or even attorneys . But I can think of a few lines of work where I would never encourage someone to risk moving for.

I know a woman, now in her early-60's, who is an accomplished bookkeeper ~ so good at it ~ and she's been unable to find work in her field for at least three years. Of course, her age may very well work against her.

A few months ago a posting for a receptionist in a medical office opened up, and there were over 400 applications, most of them from people WAY over-qualified. I'm a receptionist for City Hall, and I know it would result in the same thing if I quit today.

Coffee shops and restaurants are a' plenty, but many have closed, too. And the poster who wrote that jobs have never been plentiful here even during good economic times is very correct. I started to notice high-tech, and small businesses, close as far back as '97.

Good luck in your endeavors. Let us know if you find something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland