Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:39 PM

47 posts, read 110,171 times

Advertisements

How hard is it for a company to hire someone who doesn't CURRENTLY live in the state? I have never applied for a job out of state before so I have no experience with this. I know that I cannot move to Portland without a job but I am just wondering how hard it is to find a job if you don't live in the state? Does anyone have any experince with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 03:22 PM

716 posts, read 2,816,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_CPhT/EMT View Post
How hard is it for a company to hire someone who doesn't CURRENTLY live in the state? I have never applied for a job out of state before so I have no experience with this. I know that I cannot move to Portland without a job but I am just wondering how hard it is to find a job if you don't live in the state? Does anyone have any experince with this?
You don't have to "live" here but you have to be "here" to get a job. (ie via FTF networking, etc)

Don't even bother trying to line up employment by sending out resumes unless you have a very unique skill in high demand. It just doesn't work that way these days.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:23 PM

I just want to move there with a job lined up is that in anyway possible or will I have to move there without a job and get one there?

Old 01-10-2010, 05:35 PM

716 posts, read 2,816,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_CPhT/EMT View Post
I just want to move there with a job lined up is that in anyway possible or will I have to move there without a job and get one there?
Realistically you're going to come up here and pound the pavement to line up a job. (arranging a job without being here is very tough - if not impossible).

I also wouldn't recommend you move here without a job unless you can live without pay for a couple years.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:52 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Danny the problem is that there are so many out of work people already living here opportunities for people applying for jobs from out of state are very slim unless you one of the few skills in demand. The only way to find out is to start inquiring at various companies you can find on the Net. If as you have a lot of money and can afford to live off of it for a couple of years, you may get lucky and find something. But if you go that route, plan very carefully setting enough aside to move back to your former home in case you are unable to find something.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:59 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Listen to Minervah, that is very good advice.

I have posted this before more people want to come to Portland(usually 20 somethings) than there are jobs.

It has never been a good job market, even in better economic times.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:10 AM

86 posts, read 162,167 times
Hey Danny, funny, I moved from Miami to Portland a little over seven months ago!

I didn't have a job lined up upon moving, nor did I have a place to live, nor did I know a single person!

However, I found a job within two months, and I found a place to live. Granted, the place was crap, but I have since moved to a nice area downtown. Also, I work at a coffee shop, so it's not a "career." However, it's low stress, and at this point in my life, I'm totally happy with it.

I would say, if you have enough saved up for a few months, go for it. You live once, right?

Old 01-11-2010, 05:59 AM

thanks so much everyone, this is all a lot to think about

Yhbv24, thanks so much you've given me hope. You couldn't stand Miami either huh? That's good to know I'm definately going to think about doing that, you've clamed me down a bit lol

Old 01-11-2010, 08:20 AM

309 posts, read 900,409 times
My husband and I moved from Alabama to Georgia without jobs. We worked temp jobs and lived on our savings and mutual funds for about 3 months. He found work with UPS part time and then landed one with the Postal Service where he is now. I got one with the VA Medical Center along with a part time teaching job at a college in the evening. Keep enough stashed away for your exit back home if you don't find a job within say 6 months. Be willing to work in a coffee shop, restaurant or bar and keep it even when you get a better job.
It seems that although it seems nearly impossible to get a job offer through online application, people who are used to face to face job hunting can walk right into a job. Make a list of jobs you don't normally think about like security, child care centers, retail shopkeeper, FedEx, hospitals and apply like you'd be killed if you didn't.

Last edited by psi2007; 01-11-2010 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: error

Old 01-11-2010, 08:39 AM

47 posts, read 113,667 times
just do it..... get off your but and go. make it work. done. I moved to Greece with nothing. As for funds, I had a credit card and debt. Been living here for years now and not on the street by any means. Found a job in my feild of IT (yes even Greeks hired me and the market is worse than Portland) and I have my own business now. All odds against me... I didn't even speak the language. Thinking about moving to Portland.. for me will be a no brainer.. no worries whatsoever... alreaddy been through far worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland