Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2010, 07:33 AM

47 posts, read 110,150 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a good moving company? My wife and I don't have a lot of furniture but we do have a couple pieces that I believe would require shipping. A small couch, a small dining table, a mattress... anyway I've been finding it very difficult to find a moving company and since there are sooooo many scams out there I was wondering if one of you guys could recommend one to me. I trust you
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 05:00 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Danny, try these folks. They have excellent customer service. Seems a lot of folks have been very happy with them.

ABF U-Pack Moving - Move with the Truck Rental Alternative

Here's a thread on their company, ABF. It's a freight company, so pack well!

ABF upack

Old 01-17-2010, 07:35 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
I looked into those container shippers when we were moving. They didn't work for us since they don't serve NYC but even the areas they do serve their price didn't beat U-Haul or Penske. They stomp Mayflower and North American Rockwell but most people are U-Haul people when all is said and done. That means $2k+ for the run from FL to OR. If you've got antique Chippendale furnishings handed down then you might want to hang on to it but I would consider flogging the lot on Craigslist (or give it away to friends...). Take the $2k it would take to ship all that stuff cross country and buy new stuff in PDX. FWIW.

H

Old 01-17-2010, 08:39 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Oy - I didn't even think about Cragislist or selling your stuff. Unless you have some emotional attachment to some furniture, I tend to agree with Leisesturm. There's tons of stuff you can get at garage sales and off of Craigslist when you get here. I took my time furnishing this apt. when I first moved to it...and I got some beautiful furniture off of Craigslist - and I'm very picky about stuff!

Old 01-18-2010, 06:10 AM

47 posts, read 110,150 times
yeah I guess that's something to think about it's just I don't really want to get rid of our couch, our table, our mattress and our tv you know, but really that's all we have to ship, oh crap there's definately something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland