Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2010, 03:18 PM

45 posts, read 175,248 times

Advertisements

I have a question for anyone that is familiar with both Oregon and North Carolina.

I am considering moving to either of these areas.

They both are close to an ocean and mountains. Both Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill (the research triangle) and Portland have great suburbs with good schools. Portland has Lake Oswego / West Linn and Raleigh has Cary /Apex.

I am trying to weigh the pro's and con's. Here is what I have so far:

What is similar:
  • both half way between Ocean and Mountains.
  • Similar moderate weather (I think NC gets hotter in the summer)
  • These towns are all great places to live that are safe and interesting.
  • Both are close to bigger cities that offer culture, nightlife and fine dining.
  • Both have high rated schools
  • Both are close to nature and large lakes
What is different:
  • Cary / Apex have over crowding in their schools. They have implemented year round programs and I have read that any children with special needs will not get the support they may need.
  • Housing costs are slightly lower in Cary/Apex then in LO or WL
  • I think I would get more sunshine in NC
  • Cary /Apex is much more diverse (I'm not sure that that is a negative or a positive.)
  • Raleigh area does not get earthquakes but does get the aftermath of huricanes (occationally)
  • Raleigh is more conservative (politically) Portland is more liberal (we are more conservative)
This is what are my priorities:

Great schools
Great weather
Friendly people
Newer construction
Fun neighborhoods
close to nature and outdoor activities

I have a budget of $400K - $500K

Does anyone have any comparison to share or insight that may help us make up our minds.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by kirbsdc; 02-05-2010 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 03:38 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
We lived many years outside of Portland and almost moved to Cary, so spent alot of time and research there.

You mention weather, thats an easy one. They can not be compared. Rain/drizzle/grey is the dominant feature in the LO area for more then 1/2 the year(sometimes more). Cary has MUCH better weather IF you like the sunshine. Also, alot more heat/humidity.

Carys schools are relatively new but crowded. Good school district. Many of Oregons schools are lacking (funding woes) but LO,West Linn are good districts.

You can actually use the ocean in NC for swimming,boating,sunning. Oregons ocean/beaches are wonderful and beyond gorgeous BUT not swimmable.VERY cold water all the time, some people surf but always with a wet suit any time of year. Think long walks, spectucualr scenery,tide pools etc. LOTS of rain and wind oceanside.(Year round too).But when it is nice weather on the Oregon coast, there is no place like it. Many love the turbulent coast weather and storms. The weather never stays the same for long, It can change from sun,storms,grey,wind and back to sun all one day.

Mountains in Oregon are mountains, NC has hills, sorry, but after seeing Oregon, NC has hills, lovely, but not on the level of Oregons fantastic mountains.
Portland is much bigger,more vital,interesting and a far more "active"city then Raleigh/Durham or Chapel Hill. Much better nite life,culture with restaurants second to none. I find it a far more progressive city too.
Cary/Apex seem mostly like newer sub-divisions with strip malls,albeit lovely sub divisions and strip malls. LO/West Linn have a more established feel and decent "downtowns". All these towns are very clean and tidy.

You can get more house in Cary/Apex,no question.
To sum it up, Oregon is far more beautiful and green, but alot of rain to keep it so green.

Cary/Apex very pretty,neat,newer towns but overall, we found them rather blah and vanilla, But nice. JUST an opinion from someone spoiled from Oregons beauty.
Its the south and even with the influx of newcomers, its very conservative. Oregon, a bit more colorful in its views,outlooks and ideals--GENERALLY SPEAKING. Of course you attract and hang with people of your own choosing so that shouldnt matter.

Very different areas. But since weather is a no.2 on your list, please do a "search" on this forum of "Oregon Weather". You will find a novel to read about the PNW and its liquid sunshine.Many people just can not handle the grey for such a long time. others, its water on a ducks back, doesnt bother them at all.

Also, you would be hard pressed to find anyone in LO/West Linn or Oregon very concerned about earthquakes. Cary/Apex are a few hours inland from the ocean,so you have plenty of time to head for the hills if need be.

Good luck with your move.

Last edited by nanannie; 02-05-2010 at 03:59 PM..

Old 02-05-2010, 04:01 PM

Nananie,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

I have to ask, where did you end up moving too and why?

What is you opinion of Lake Oswego and West Linn in particular?

Old 02-05-2010, 04:14 PM

We remained in Illinois instead of taking the Cary job. We moved to the Chicago suburbs with husbands job from Oregon and are still here. I still have family in Oregon, so we return yearly.
I think LO and WL are very nice family towns, cute 'downtowns', lovely homes,plenty of shopping, both affluent with some (good natured usually) rivalry between the two. Easy commute to the big city. Lake Oswego has a very active water scene.
Neither towns seem very diverse at all.

For the short time we were there, I have to say Cary/Apex were very warm, outgoing/friendly/open. Many dont use those words to describe Oregoneons.But again, thats a very general statement. So many in Oregon are from "Someplace Else" anyway(as are Cary/Apex).

I think the weather and its effect should not be downplayed if lack of sun is an issue.

Add those two towns (LO/WL)to your "Search" on this forum for alot more information,probably all your questions answered as these two towns have been discussed often.

Last edited by nanannie; 02-05-2010 at 04:30 PM..

Old 02-05-2010, 04:28 PM

Nanannie,

I am not sure if you noticed that I live in Naperville currently.
The fact that you live in Chicagoland area as well perhaps you can tell which of these places are most like Naperville (in your opinion)?

Old 02-05-2010, 04:47 PM

I didnt notice that you lived in N'ville.
I live in Barrington Hills.

LO/WL would be closer to N'ville then Cary/Apex as they are more established towns with a core village. Its really not an exact comparison though.Cary/Apex has alot of new sub-divisions/strip malls/shopping like your current town as well.
You mention you like newer towns. Cary is all so new in comparison to most Illinois towns I have spent time in. It really doesnt have much of a "downtown village" though.

I think LO has a bit more affluent vibe/reputation then even N'ville.

I think your choices (Oregon/NC) have wonderful areas to explore surrounding them. Far more sceinic beauty and activities are just a drive away. We rarely left the state when we lived in Oregon, there was just so much to do and see, and so many places we could never tire of.
The ocean and Blue Ridge mountains in NC,as well as the quaint historic towns were wonderful.
You find alot less of that here.Or I guess we have been here too long.

No offense illinois.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:03 PM

My husband and I have lived in the flatlands of IL allof our lives.

We need to sell our home and this is an opportunity to make a change (we have no family here anylonger).

I would like to live somewhere that is beautiful or at least close to something beautiful. My husband and son enjoy camping and hiking etc. As I get older I am enjoying the outdoors more as well.

Our son's education is the biggest draw back to Cary. Perhaps Chapel Hill is an option but there is very little new construction in Chapel Hill (and it is much more expensive). However no more expensive than LO it looks like.

I like sunshine but hate very hot (humid) weather and very cold weather. We can't afford (or make a living) in Hawaii so I am trying to get the best mix I can afford.

Thanks for taking the time to share your observations and opinions.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:40 PM

109 posts, read 392,431 times
I grew up in Southwest Portland near LO and have lived in the Triangle. I would suggest not living in Cary or Apes, but looking in Chapel Hill instead. Much better schools, far more restaurants, and much more of an accepting community than the plastic prefab Cary area. You can live in Chapel Hill and rarely go to strip malls. If you want something newer, look at Southern Village, which is a large development with a downtown and a school. Houses range from 400 to 1.5, but most are between 400 and 600 (save for a few people who have hallucinating realtors). You will get much more house for the money in Cary, but you will have a much better life in Chapel Hill.

Lake Oswego and West Linn have older sections, but the weather does stink for much of the year. Given that, the Portland area has much more culture, restaurants, and activities than the Triangle. We lasted five years there before we simply ran out of stuff to do. I lived in the NYC area and in Moscow after leaving Portland, and simply there was not enough stimulation there for us and our young kids. The only reason why I did not go back to Portland is that I am afraid of slugs (seriously - everyone has their 'thing,' and that is mine). If you can handle slugs all over your yard, a significant amount of rain much of the time, and drivers who have little understanding of the importance of your time, then I would pick LO hands down.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:13 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,255,561 times
We made two exploratory trips to the Raleigh-Durham area a fews years ago. I have family in Matthews, NC, just outside of Charlotte and a nephew living in a newer suburb (I can't remember the name) just outside of Raleigh. I agree with most everything nanannie has posted. I don't like snakes, mosquitoes or tropical type bugs. Non of which I have in Portland. I hated slugs too when I first moved to Portland, but they're harmless. According to the posters on the Raleigh forum, most snakes in Raleigh are harmless. Still, I'd rather have slugs than a black snake jumping out from under a bush in my garden. LOL. My sister has them in her backyard. We walked around a small lake backed up to the one of the developments we were considering in Cary and there was a snake on the path. So much for walking around that lake. Also, the lake water so muddy looking - really brown.
On our second trip, we spent most of our time in Durham. If you are conservative, Cary would definitely be more to your liking. We prefer Durham which has been bad rapped and I don't think deserves much of the criticism. We actually looked at houses in Durham. Very strict HOA's in Cary, which we did not like.
I have never experienced the burning in my eyes from ozone like I did on this second trip. I lived in Texas for 13 years and was raised in high humidity Cleveland. We inquired as to the haze on both trips and people didn't know what we meant. We figured they were probably used to it. I'm not knocking the area because it's one of the places I would move if the job situation doesn't get any better here. I like the area as far as greenery is concerned as well as Portland. I'm afraid of heights so the fact they only have hills is a plus for me. A definite plus is that you can actually enjoy the ocean. Every time I've been to the ocean here I freeze to death. I'm a warm weather person so my perspective may be different.
I wasn't impressed with any of their grocery stores. We are very fortunate with choices we have here. Another thing I remember is that Cary has one of the best water purifying systems in the country as does Portland. Do check out the Raleigh-Durham forum. There are lots of helpful posters on that forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland