U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 02:20 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,653,854 times

Advertisements

If you will be getting paid the same in both places, your money will go waaaaaay farther in Portland.

Otherwise, the biggest difference is that Seattle is "big city" and more career-oriented than Portland. This is a bit of an overgeneralization, but you could think of Seattle as "white collar" and Portland as "blue collar" compared against each other. You are also right on the Sound in Seattle. Portland's geography is definitely no slouch, but Seattle wins in that category.

The coffee scene: Seattle wins, but Portland is no slouch
The beer scene: Portland wins, but Seattle is no slouch

Good luck on your decision.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 08:27 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,048,001 times
Having lived in both Portland and Seattle, I would choose Seattle if deciding to return to the Pacific Northwest. Research the different neighborhoods and their flavors. Great weekend markets everywhere and a good sense of community in some of the different neighborhoods/pockets of town. I find Seattle to be more exciting for what the urban life offers (whether you're single, have a family, whatever, it's all there- extremely vibrant and busy) but also the proximity to lots of possible weekend trips to national parks or coast.

As stated previously, Seattle is a city and Portland does feel like a big town. Cost of living in Portland is lower and you could have a really good life there, a great home and lots of opportunities to do things on the town without going very far.

I also lived in Norway and Sweden and really appreciated the "nordic vibe" and history that is present in some Seattle areas. I believe there's even a Scandinavian food shop in Ballard, Seattle....not that a grocery store that sells Abba herring or swedish licorice is going to affect your decision!

In sum, my perception of Seattle is upbeat, active, diverse, extraverted...Portland is more low key, introverted, accessible.

Weather in both places really is not bad at all. Yes, Seattle has its long string of grey days but Portland's weather can be pretty finicky too. Winter of 08 the city of Portland was nearly shut down due some pretty impressive snowfall, for the area. Both have great public transport (though as far as I know Seattle doesn't have that extensive awesome light rail system). I'd say Seattle definitely has a more international and worldly vibe too.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:22 PM

73 posts, read 195,047 times
There is no way in h#ll I'd ever move to Seattle. I've been there are few times and it left me cold. (An understatement.) Major gridlock on the freeways, no central feel, too much gloom and wet (far more than Portland), way pricier than Portland (though Portland is pricey) and that's for starters. Portland wins hands down. But to each his own!

Old 02-20-2010, 04:47 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,503,182 times
Cost of living wise I think there's no contest, Portland wins. Seattle is a great city imo but Portland is cheaper and offers most of the same things.

I spent summers as a child near Muskegon, beautiful up there.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:06 PM

3,971 posts, read 11,452,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird3 View Post
There is no way in h#ll I'd ever move to Seattle. I've been there are few times and it left me cold. (An understatement.) Major gridlock on the freeways, no central feel, too much gloom and wet (far more than Portland), way pricier than Portland (though Portland is pricey) and that's for starters. Portland wins hands down. But to each his own!
"far more gloom and wet"? The weather stats don't back that up. Precip. is about the same, cloudy days are quite similar. If anything, Portland has colder, more icestorm days in the winter than Seattle.

Agreed, Seattle is more expensive, but "no central feel" don't quite get. Seattle has a definite downtown central feel, as does Portland.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:39 AM

509 posts, read 1,302,721 times
I think people have to go there are get a feel for whether they resonate with the lay of the land or not. Seattle is just another L.A. to me. YMMV. And the stats I've seen (not enough time now to look it up) show that Seattle has more rainy/cloudy days than Portland. Not by much, but enough to make a difference to some people. If someone wants a smaller town feel, Portland is their city. I think the OP has to decide whether he wants a major metropolis or a small city. That's the most noticeable difference. The traffic alone is enough to make me pass, although Portland's traffic is getting worse and worse too. I think that is true pretty much everywhere.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:16 PM

40 posts, read 60,133 times
I've never been to Seattle so I can not answer this without being biased. I love Portland, and I feel like it's a good combination of city without feeling overwhlemed. The stats on rain does show that Seattle gets a tad more, and more clouds, slightly lower temps. You can check out the averages on weather.com. I love Portland and plan to move there with my family in a few years.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:25 PM

62 posts, read 216,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stndrd View Post
Hi,

I have the opportunity to move to either Portland or Seattle with a good, full-time job (same pay). I'm at loss as to which one to choose, so I was hoping I could tell you about my family and I, then maybe some of you could make suggestions...??

I'm married w/3 kids, I'm 31 - my wife is 29 and the kids are 5, 7 & 10.
We are all from West Michigan but moved to New Zealand for 2.5 years, then Melbourne, AU for .5 years and I'm currently in Norway, working.
I work in higher-level IT engineering. My wife is a stay at home Mom.
We love the outdoors and like to see mountains, water (lakes, river & sea) without having to drive for a long time - hiking, swimming and camping are well loved by us. We are laid back, left-leaning politically (but not too left). I'm career oriented but only as a second to living a full-filling life.
We would like to be able to drive off on the weekend and find beautiful landscapes without many people around (I do realize that I may have to drive far for this...)
We love live music, mainly rock, indie and heavy types...
Love beer (and not the beer flavored water called bud ;-)
Love pubs and good food (mainly Indian, Thai & Asian)
Needs to be a great place to raise kids, a city that has a lot of parental involvement in the schools (this is more on a neighborhood level, I know..)
We like diversity in: people’s heritage, mindsets of people, food, beer & outdoor activities
We will be renting with a budget at around 2k a month
We like to either live right in the middle of it all or live in a place with not many neighbors but has abundant nature around.
Public transport needs to be solid, doesn't have to be rail - but alas, after living in Melbourne the trams are much nicer than the busses...
We plan to live there a long time, if not for good..

From what I've read we would like either place, but if anyone can point out they one may be more appropriate than the other we would greatly appreciate it!!

Cheers,
Brian & April

I've posted this in the Seattle forum as well..
From a guy who's lived in both cities for a few years now, come to Portland!

Seattle is a beautiful city and something you'll want to visit, but there are many drawbacks to living there. I think Portland is a much better place to raise a family and stay active. Traffic: Seattle may take 90 minutes to drive to the zoo each way and therefor gets cut from the plans A daily nightmare. Rent and cost of living is less down here, people are more friendly, and nature is much closer by for camping/hiking trips, etc.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:06 PM

6,043 posts, read 6,091,039 times
Too bad Vancouver isnt an option. IMO it kicks the crap out of Seattle or Portland in some key ways, although quite expensive.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:07 PM

6,043 posts, read 6,091,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
If you will be getting paid the same in both places, your money will go waaaaaay farther in Portland.
True.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland