Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2010, 02:19 PM

6 posts, read 21,884 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone, My husband and I currently live in Las Vegas, NV and we are looking to move outside of Portland. We are interested in Forest Grove (although we have never been there), and my job will be located in Beaverton. How is the commute from Forest Grove to Beaverton? We really like the smaller town feel, but want access to the city on occasion. How are the Farmers Markets in Forest Grove? Does anyone know where I can see a good amount of pictures of the town?

Thanks for your advice,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 05:15 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,000,808 times
About the commute, a lot depends on where exactly in Beaverton your job is. As a baseline, the #57 bus takes about 45-50 minutes to get from Forest Grove to the Beaverton Transit Center. If your job is closer to MAX than to the bus route, you can transfer to MAX in Hillsboro. If your job is in the Tanasbourne area, forget about transit and drive thru Hillsboro and out Cornell Road. If the job is on the south side of town, you have to weigh driving TV Highway (OR 8) to Hall Blvd. against transferring to another bus or WES at the Beaverton Transit Center.

For pictures, the places I'd look would be the town's own website (City of Forest Grove - Home), the local newspaper's site (Redirect), and the Pacific University website (Pacific University - Forest Grove, Oregon).

Never been to a Farmers' Market there, but the Portland area in general has really good farmers' markets.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:53 PM

682 posts, read 2,412,258 times
The commute really depends on where in Beaverton you're working, and where in Forest Grove you live. I would avoid Cornell, as it gets very congested and there are nearly one hundred million stop lights along the way (slightly exaggerated). A better option might be Hwy 210 or Hwy 10. But whatever way you go it will likely take 45-50 minutes. My mother works in Forest Grove, and we live in Hillsboro by the airport. It takes about 30 minutes because of traffic congestion on Baseline/Hwy 8, which is the main route into Forest Grove.

I really like Forest Grove, it does have a nice small town/college town feel. I haven't been to their farmers market, but there are no shortage of farms in the area, so I think you're okay.
Forest Grove Farmers Market (http://www.adelantemujeres.org/farmersmarket.html - broken link)

You can also visit many of the farms directly for pick-you-own options.
Where to find pick your own farms and orchards in far northwest Oregon for fruit, vegetables, pumpkins and Christmas trees.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:03 PM

57 posts, read 147,225 times
Like what has been said here it depends on your starting and stopping point and that is because of the limited roads. There are basically 4 routes, fastest is access to 26 and 217, baseline to Cornell (can have much traffic), baseline to TV hwy (can have much traffic), and River road (longer a little less traffic). Your commute time will vary with the time of day you are commuting and the times stated are what you can expect.

Pictures try Google Maps
[SIZE=5] [/SIZE]

Old 02-16-2010, 05:24 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,011,349 times
If you learn the right shortcuts, probably around 30 minutes.

The nice part is that Hillsboro has quite a bit of shopping options.

I'm in Beaverton, and would love to live in Forest Grove since I like driving to the ocean often.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland