U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2010, 10:20 AM

7 posts, read 38,546 times

Advertisements

Well, I just got my acceptance letter to Portland State, so I'll be over there in September. Finding a job isn't an issue since I'll be living on campus off of grants,loans and work-study, but I do have a couple of questions about living there:

First, what kind of Bike would one recommend getting for transportation purposes? When I lived in NYC a city bike, or cruiser would work, but I feel like all the hills and wet weather would make that a pain in the ass in Portland. So what kind do you all find best suited?

Second, I know it's bad for me, but, what are the cigarette prices like?

Third, Are there any general recommendations one might make to me about moving to Portland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 02:06 AM

9,603 posts, read 9,481,094 times
You've not actually been to Portland yet have you. One in three bikes in active use in the city is some kind of fixie or single speed bike. A college age stud muffin like yourself should be fine with a single speed, but I like gears on my rig, the more the better. You will also note when you get here that very few bikes are late models. I'm seeing rolling examples of the framebuilders art that I haven't laid eyes on since before I had facial hair. I will say this about the cigs. You are correct. They are bad for you. Keep that in mind when you get here and discover how much they cost. They can, and will likely kill you, if you are so unfortunate as to still be a smoker in, say 15 more years. Spend your remaining time before September beating your habit. Or not, but if not, consider this: your education is going to cost someone a lot of money eventually. Maybe you. Probably enough money to buy a nice set of wheels outright. Would you sink 80 grand in a car if somehow you knew that it was going to be totalled in a wreck in the first week that you owned it?

H

Old 02-22-2010, 09:02 PM

1,657 posts, read 3,892,682 times
Mike:

two items under the general info category --
- wait until you get to Portland to buy your rain gear. It doesn't rain hard enough for an umbrella, and too much rain for no rain protection outer wear. Check out what your peer group are wearing.

- be sure to visit the Oregon DMV web site. You don't need to transfer your driver's license to Oregon if you don't want to as a student without a car, but you will find it extremely useful to get an Oregon State ID card (no test involved, just a local address and documents to prove age and citizenship) for opening a checking account, getting into bars, and other times you will need to prove who your are. Out of State fake IDs and driver's licenses are out of control in downtown Portland. I presume you can find State of Oregon DMV web site on your own. If you bring a car, different rules apply. You will need to register and insure your car, and get a local driver's license. I found car insurance is cheaper here than in the Mid-West.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:09 AM

716 posts, read 2,427,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeisnottoast View Post
First, what kind of Bike would one recommend getting for transportation purposes? When I lived in NYC a city bike, or cruiser would work, but I feel like all the hills and wet weather would make that a pain in the ass in Portland. So what kind do you all find best suited?

Get a "beater" because a good bike will likely get stolen. (especially at school). CL has tons of bikes.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:11 PM

682 posts, read 2,056,462 times
PSU is very bike friendly. Here is a recent article about one of the student groups. I've also included the group website. They might be able to give you some information as well.

Free Breakfast for PSU Bikers (Plus, an Idea for Portland State Bike Sharing) | Blogtown, PDX | Portland Mercury

PSU Bicycle Advocacy Collective - Home

As far as rain wear, I've never owned any gore-tex and rarely use an umbrella. Most of us at PSU just wear a jacket/coat and hat or hooded sweatshirt. Everybody dresses in layers.

Here's a link to an article from the Daily Vanguard (PSU's weekly paper) about on campus housing. I don't live on campus myself. Daily Vanguard - On location, on campus (http://www.dailyvanguard.com/2.8784/on-location-on-campus-1.1123828 - broken link)

Old 02-24-2010, 04:51 PM

6,145 posts, read 6,138,199 times
Typical bodega or 7-11 price would be $4-5/pack depending on brand. Not nearly as expensive as what you're used to.

Oh yeah, this is the bike capital of the country, and NYC actually get more inches of rain annually than we do...we just get all of ours in a dense clump of drizzly weather between November and May'ish and hardly any between July through October.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:08 PM

569 posts, read 1,595,937 times
You can ride single speed or fixed here, lots of people do it but you need to be in better shape in general to climb the hills compared to cities like Chicago or NY. Also, you can compensate by using a lower gear so you can climb easier but be prepared to take off some speed up top. If you weren't in shape you're gonna be quick.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:46 PM
CPF

45 posts, read 174,167 times
Worth noting that, as of this year, smoking is illegal indoors pretty much everywhere. And some of the colleges only let you smoke in designated areas outside - not sure about PSU specifically.

Most of the big hills are in parks or on the edge of town. Downtown/PSU is mostly flat, a slight grade towards the river. For longer distance trips you can always take your bike on the light rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland