Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,129 times

Advertisements

Hi I need a favor. I want someone living in either the Portland area,the Astoria area or the tri city area (Corvalis-Beaverton-Salem) to let me live with them. I will allow you to do a background check on me. I also will do all the chores until I get 2 jobs .I'd only be living with you for about a year.Please help me out. I also will start paying full rent right away (100 dollars a month).Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 01:39 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times
Among other things, you need geographic help. Corvallis, Beaverton and Salem are miles from each other. The only "Tri-City area" around here is Richland-Pasco-Kennewick, WA.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:08 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
I can't think of an easier way to get robbed and/or taken advantage of.

On either end of the deal.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,129 times
Default read

I know that corvalis is south of Beaverton and Salem.I meant that i group those 3 cities together not based on geography but on the fact they are the big cities south of portland.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:09 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,278 times
Ah, I presume you have tried Craigslist.com in the Rooms / Shared section under Housing....
And you know all about the tabs at the top of Craigslist.com for Portland are for the counties around Portland (Multnomah, Clackamas, Washington,....) and yes, Beaverton is regarded as a suburb of Portland, Salem and Corvallis are not suburbs of Portland.
Plus Corvallis, Salem, and Eugene all have their own Craigslist site.

But here is the my point.... Your rent offer is WAY too low for the housing market you are talking about. Even as a lodger, expect to pay at least $70.00 per week. Usual is better than $350.00 per month. You should budget, until you actually find a place, somewhere around $100.00 per week. If you find better, celebrate! You done real good finding a place lower than the market value.

Aside, some places expect you to share the utilities of a home; shared utilities will come in around $100.00 per month during winter months for many places in the city of Portland. And as you know, cell phone is on top of that.

Second point, when you read the description for roommates (house-mates, lodgers, and such on craigslist.com,) usually the ads are asking you have a work history and are steadily employed. One of the first things I noticed is it didn't sound like you have a current job, or a steady work history (I could be wrong on that, you didn't specifically address that issue.)

Employment is tough to come by in Portland, except in specific skilled fields. I really don't think jobs are more available in Corvallis, Salem, or other Oregon cities. If you do have a job lined up, you are one of the lucky ones.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:53 AM

333 posts, read 810,490 times
Bindsnblinds, I too would recommend Craigslist and exploring as many options as possible. Good luck - remember all you need is one solution to work for you no matter how many others don't.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:11 PM

73 posts, read 231,970 times
I think it's realistic to find a place for $200-250/mo if you also offer services like housecleaning, yardwork/gardening, or perhaps personal assistant like for someone who is recuperating from an illness or surgery. But $100 is just too low. It means finding someone who will accept $100 out of the goodness of their heart, but most in the position to accept only $100 don't really need it - they'd just need to have compassion for someone in your position and want to help you. Most people offering a room for rent desperately need the money. The sad reality is that most people don't want anyone living in their house unless they absolutely have to.

Still, I think you may be able to find something, but it means you'll be like an indentured servant. If you can live with that you might be OK with that arrangement - for a while. Those situation tend to turn bad, and quickly. Not trying to be a pessimist - just a realist.

As for $350, you'd probably be able to find something suitable in that price range in some of the low-rent areas of Portland like Felony Flats (Johnson Creek Blvd. area) or Powell/Division Alley (East of I-205). A bit scarier, but do-able.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:53 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird3 View Post
...... or Powell/Division Alley (East of I-205). A bit scarier, but do-able.
Good lord, I got lost down there last fall looking for the DEQ auto testing facility. That area is high on the list of "Experienced Portland residents only, Newbies to Portland need not apply" as it were.

Not that it wasn't safe, it didn't appear to be unsafe at all. Just my impression: it was more of a Tall Glass of corn whiskey with a shot of beer, kind of neighborhood. 'Course I could be wrong.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:16 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times
LOL!
You guys are cracking me up, thanks

Old 02-21-2010, 02:32 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
"Good lord, I got lost down there last fall looking for the DEQ auto testing facility. That area is high on the list of "Experienced Portland residents only, Newbies to Portland need not apply" as it were.

Not that it wasn't safe, it didn't appear to be unsafe at all. Just my impression: it was more of a Tall Glass of corn whiskey with a shot of beer, kind of neighborhood. 'Course I could be wrong."

Welcome to the below 50k yearly income Portland.

Reality sucks, doesn't it. It ain't the microbrews, good food, downtown living, hip, cool, liberal, easy life, fantasy Portland, is it.

It's real life Portland.

You don't see this version of Portland (which is a large part of Portland), in the fancy Sunset magazine spreads, do you.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 02-21-2010 at 02:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland