Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:42 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,465,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
.....And I'm sure you've seen this...the whole area is heavy on men to start with...
Thanks for that graphic. I for one had not seen that graphic.
Fine print I noticed was it has some basis on the 2000 year census, with an update from 2006. I wonder if there might be some changes in the Mid-West after the 2010 census?

I had always assumed due to the large number of women starlets flocking to Hollywood, there would be at least parity or better in the LA Basin. I guess not. I never understood why NYC and Northern NJ were so dominated by single Women. The DC area, been there, understand and fully believe that statistic. Whole 'nother world.

Oh, as far as the fine print, ages 20 to 64, just take my word for it, that is an important qualification for the number of single women in the Northern Ohio, Lake Eire shore line, and SE Michigan. You kind of need to have a third dimension on the chart to break down the age groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 05:20 PM

15 posts, read 90,712 times
If the dating scene here is 'heavy on men, not women' that certainly doesn't take into account that most the men here are un-dateable. To the original poster, Spainman88, if you can get in with the Nike crowd or at least stay away from the Hawthorne area, you'll have better luck finding more dateable women -- there are plenty. NW 23rd may be more your style. Don't even think about Eugene...it's even worse than Portland.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:01 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,545,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Thanks for that graphic. I for one had not seen that graphic.
Fine print I noticed was it has some basis on the 2000 year census, with an update from 2006. I wonder if there might be some changes in the Mid-West after the 2010 census?

I had always assumed due to the large number of women starlets flocking to Hollywood, there would be at least parity or better in the LA Basin. I guess not. I never understood why NYC and Northern NJ were so dominated by single Women. The DC area, been there, understand and fully believe that statistic. Whole 'nother world.

Oh, as far as the fine print, ages 20 to 64, just take my word for it, that is an important qualification for the number of single women in the Northern Ohio, Lake Eire shore line, and SE Michigan. You kind of need to have a third dimension on the chart to break down the age groups.
The chart fails to take many factors into account, although I've seen more sophisticated ones that break it down by age (via a sliding scale tool). Not suprisingly, the older you get, the more the single women really start to pile up compared to the men.

The chart also says nothing about relative attractiveness of people, which would be impossible to measure scentifically anyway. My wild guess is that LA/Hollywood would have the greatest concentration of "beautiful people", even though the men outnumber women in absolute terms. My theory about New York City is that it's the place to be for many industries women tend to excell in. Fashion, advertising, publishing, performing arts, etc, etc.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:30 PM

7 posts, read 26,191 times
Thanks for the responses here...Despite the fact that it sounds as if some of my thoughts about the dating/women scene in Portland are accurate I am still strongly leaning towards moving there this summer. I've always thought Portland would be a city which would attract outdoorsy/earthy/crunchy/athletic women with the natural setting and active vulture, etc. Does anyone have suggestions for meeting this type of woman while living in Portland? I know the hipster scene (which I'm not attracted to in terms of women or general attitude) is a big part of Portland, but hopefully not dominating.

As for me, I'm a guy who has no problem with the 'sensitive/feelings' side of interaction with women, and I feel that the description above about what 'Portland women don't put up with' isn't detrimental to me. HOwever, I'm looking for suggestions in meeting/finding attractive women who are mroe my type. Any insight on if there is a significant population of this type in Portland and what regions of the city/activities/places could be helpful in finding them?

The city is great and I am excited to move out there despite not knowing anyone there!

Old 03-04-2010, 03:25 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,545,789 times
I'd peruse CL or meetup.org for outdoor related activities like biking, hiking, etc...

Old 03-04-2010, 06:15 PM

62 posts, read 255,586 times
The Pearl has a decent amount of those girls (NW), and pockets in SE. I've found a few cool girls around Hawthorne (SE) just understand there will also be hipsters. I've been in Happy Valley/Clackamas area (deep SE) for about 18 months and have started meeting a lot of really cool people. Once you get out of Portland proper a lot of the hipster image subsides.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:56 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,050,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spainman_88 View Post
I'm a 26/m looking into a move to Portland but I'm wondering about the dating scene for a single, outdoorsy guy thinking of going back to grad school there. I love the PNW and Portland, but on a recent visit I saw so many more men than women, and a small number of attractive (in my view) young, single women. I'm into the outdoorsy, attractive and athletic girl type- a little granola/hippy, but not hipster. I was somewhat turned off by the large hipster scene as those arent women I'm attracted to and I don't like or fit with the hipster culture or style. Maybe this is just around Hawthorne though.

But is the above an accurate assessment of the dating scene there? Is meeting women very difficult? Are there a significant number of attractive, single women in Portland? Is the dating scene good for a guy in his mid-20s in grad school?

I love the city, scenery, music, beer, coffee, bookstores, food, etc of Portland, and dont mind the weather. I'm leaning towards a move there but wnat to have some insight regarding the women/dating scene. Thanks!
Missoula,MT is the place for the type of women you describe-strong,attractive,intelligent and somewhat athletic,if not athletic then at least a bit outdoorsy,or both. And a little crunchy/granola and bohemian vibe.

Pdx is too yin for that.
And,of late,too hip for it's own good-it is too trendy.

You might also find said women in Boulder or Fort Collins,but not in OR,in my experience. [and I am a woman-have lived in all 3 places. I am not saying OR does not have attractive women,just from what the OP mentioned-the other locales are better choices for desired reality.] And definitely NOT in Eugene or Corvallis,either. Maybe Ashland,however. A little more.

Last edited by lrmsd; 03-05-2010 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-10-2010, 01:58 PM

6 posts, read 17,550 times
Don't bother seeking attractive women here. The ones who could be attractive take serious efforts to appear unattractive. If you think granola-nature is attractive, then you might do fine just realize there is a huge lesbian population here. Otherwise, the few attractive women who are single here are not looking for a man to marry, they are looking for a douche bag little friend they have sex with.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:35 PM

920 posts, read 2,804,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzportland View Post
Otherwise, the few attractive women who are single here are not looking for a man to marry, they are looking for a douche bag little friend they have sex with.
What? That's a huge generalization.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:49 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,465,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzportland View Post
Don't bother seeking attractive women here. The ones who could be attractive take serious efforts to appear unattractive. If you think granola-nature is attractive, then you might do fine just realize there is a huge lesbian population here. Otherwise, the few attractive women who are single here are not looking for a man to marry, they are looking for a douche bag little friend they have sex with.
I'm not picking on you, as your sentiment is shared by others in this thread, but dang, there is something in your choice of words that really bothers me....

May be it was unintentional or I am reading more into it than I should, but your post seems to proclaim that women should make a bigger effort in Portland to dress and act more as sex objects than human beings who just happen to be female.

Well, the few women I have met in Portland are not going to dress and apply makeup in order to appear they are Hollywood Starlet wannabes. Nope, not going to happen. In fact, they would take very strong exception to that idea of each and every day dressing and acting like a walking talking sexual fantasy for every male they come in contact with on the street. Emphatically strong exception at that. Like maybe you wouldn't want to voice such an thought around a whole bunch of Portland Women who all had scissors in their hands, if you get my drift. Dull scissors at that.

And as far as douche bag friend with benefits, well that is HER choice, and HER adult choice alone. Besides you don't know what he's packing, and how thrilled she is by how he uses what he's packing.

Sorry if I mis-read your post. As I said, others have posted the same sentiment, but your choice of words got to me.

Oh, and have you tried Happy Hour at the Portland Grill atop of Big Pink for High Maintenance, Attractive, and very predatory young adults with good paying jobs? Do you fit in with that crowd? Y'a know, you may be hanging out with the wrong crowd of people also.

I happened to walk nearby some performance theater back last fall in Downtown Portland, and my gosh, some of the women who got out of a few limousines as I watched for a few minutes had cleaned up and sparkled amazingly gorgeous in their formal dresses.

Phil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland