Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 01:20 AM

42 posts, read 80,747 times

Advertisements

The problem with a lot of young Portland women is that they have bought into the whole PC thing. Therefore from what I can tell women in Portland not only go out of their way to not look and dress in a feminine manner, but also expect any prospective partner to be someone who eschews any kind of gender roles. Basically they are messed up in the head.

And that is if you can get past the fact that a lot of women here are heavily tattooed, have drug/alcohol problems, have mental issues, etc. I came of age in the 70's-80's here in Portland and the dating scene was way different then. If you are just looking for a quick hookup though Portland is great for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 02:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,228 times
I live in Eugene and I'm granola and cute, if I do say so myself. All my friends are too. There are tons of ladies, and yes it's true that alot of girls are in relationships, but young people are always breaking up. I just broke up with my boyfriend, so there you go.
In Eugene it's easier to meet cute, granola, intelligent girls. But in Portland it can be done, you just have to know the right people. If you're in grad school you should have no problem meeting friends. I wouldn't let that stop you from living in Oregon. There really are plenty of single, outdoorsy, attractive girls. Trust.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:06 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,590,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I can see why, as a transplant, there is a "dating problem" in Portland. The women who move here seem to be different from the men who move here and vice-versa. This is a generalization. Compare with NYC or Boston, where everyone under 30 seems hot for each other. Just my own little observation. I am a married woman who has only been here for seven months. Take my opinion for what it's worth...
It's a stark contrast from New York. The sheer number of younger people is incomparable. In NYC you see attractive young men and women everywhere, and people in general are more open to "strangers". You get the vague sense that people are more eager to know each other over there. Here it's kinda "what's the point? I already know all the people I need or want to know, so if I don't already know you, don't bother me." It's a generalization obviously, but there's always some truth to them.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:33 PM

83 posts, read 339,969 times
just going to leave this here:

In Depth: Best Cities For Singles 2009 - No. 16: Portland, Ore. - Forbes.com

seattle is #4 too. wonder why the disparity.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:41 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus09 View Post

I seem to recall someone posting that the office-worker crowd in Seattle is more fashion conscious and 'dress for success' aware than similar office workers in Portland. Portland is more laid-back.

In short, the guys in Seattle dress to attract the attention of ladies. Guys in Portland tent wear clothing more as if they want to be the ladies 'brother.'

hey, lighten up, already..... it was meant as humor...

Old 03-20-2011, 06:26 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
... Guys in Portland tent wear clothing....
EDIT: should read:
...Portland tend to wear clothing....

Old 03-21-2011, 10:44 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,590,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus09 View Post

I never put too much stock in these. Portland ranked way higher than Miami? Okaay.

They even ranked Portland behind Denver. Now there's a slap in the face.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:50 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
EDIT: should read:
...Portland tend to wear clothing....
Yup, wearing tents never really did much for me with the ladies.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:05 AM

83 posts, read 339,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I never put too much stock in these. Portland ranked way higher than Miami? Okaay.

They even ranked Portland behind Denver. Now there's a slap in the face.
I may be extrapolating a little trying to make this connection, but Boulder is the smartest city in America, according to Forbes. I'd assume this means much of the population is young and available because of all the schooling which pushes average marriage age back.

I agree though, it's a hard metric to define.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:44 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
It really is time this thread died. I kind of suspected it but now that I am actually working on a college campus I can state for the record that there is a lot of BS in earlier posts in this thread. There is no lack of heat in the female component of Generation X, Y or Z. You whiners are never going to get these women though, and that's really the rub isn't it. The last couple of generations were able to starve the high class hotties into marrying knuckle draggers by denying them education and opportunity. Now with the enrollments (and graduations) of women in higher education at an all time high the professional women of tomorrow will be holding out for high attainment guys.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland