U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:00 AM

20 posts, read 56,810 times
yeah, i've been to portland many years ago, so i kind of know the vibe. it's like a blown up bucktown/wicker park. doesen't bother me so much.
i can deal if i get mountains and better weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
Me! I'm not a hipster. Portland is swarming with them, but they generally like to keep with their own kind.

I agree with the other posters that SE is a hot spot for them. NW Portland from Burnside to about Northrup, between the 405 and 22nd, I've nicknamed "Douchebagistan."

There are some nice little neighborhoods in SW, such as Multnomah and Burlingame. Beaverton gets a bad rap, but I think it's become a pretty diverse suburb in the past 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 09:35 AM

13,185 posts, read 9,218,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagrossm View Post
oh no, i was not referring to suburban living. i live IN the city of chicago. don't need all the amenities that big city life offers anymore. mostly want a community with easy access to the outdoors, decent weather (anything is better than what we put up with here!) parks, biking,and good restaurants. is that so hard to find?
What would you define as "decent weather"? Although I don't mind Portland weather, for some it may be a deal-breaker. Chicago has way more sun in the winter time even though it's cold and snowy. Portland has many days of continual rainy weather. Some folks don't mind; some get SAD. If that is an issue with you, check out some stats regarding Portland weather.

Also, Portland isn't all that large. If you can visit for a few days you can see the various neighborhoods for yourself. That's the best way to choose where to live.

My personal choice would be the Sellwood area but bus transportation is pretty bad during the non-rush hours and I depend on buses to get me everywhere. This is one thing I could do when I lived in Chicago but cannot living in Portland.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:16 PM

1,342 posts, read 740,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticGreen View Post
I'll second this (although I've only been living here for 3 weeks). I'm right in Hawthorne (around SE 35th), and I have friends who live in Alberta, so there are tons of hipster type folk here, but in the exploring I've done around the rest of the city the people seem to be just as they were in Boston (minus the baseball caps).

Fellow Ma55hole here who COULD move to Portland in the future or Seattle I dunno yet, but its funny you say people there seem like Boston area and I couldnt agree more. I think theres some differences but places like Arlington for sure have similar people and imo, Beaverton is like where I grew up (Chelmsford) and like Burlington kinda. I even like to say Lowell is sorta like Portland only 1/6th of the people and naturally less homeless lol. Difference is to me is that in MA cities, they are mostly geared totally toward college and not too many non college people moving in droves like the NW has.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:22 PM

1,342 posts, read 740,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
Me! I'm not a hipster. Portland is swarming with them, but they generally like to keep with their own kind.

I agree with the other posters that SE is a hot spot for them. NW Portland from Burnside to about Northrup, between the 405 and 22nd, I've nicknamed "Douchebagistan."

There are some nice little neighborhoods in SW, such as Multnomah and Burlingame. Beaverton gets a bad rap, but I think it's become a pretty diverse suburb in the past 10 years.

In my honest opinion, I thought of this earlier so I'll say it now..
Im a bit different BUT listen up.. I wouldnt be surprised if I met friends in Portland and not one was a hipster. As alternative as I am in music taste ( what draws me to PDX sorta), I wouldnt be shocked if I become friends with people into ACDC or even Megadeth lol. Im like a down to earth intellectual looking guy. How many of them around? I saw a few Im pretty sure when I was there but the norm seems to be antisocial snobby hipster types.
Thats how much they tend to keep to themselves and funny thing is.. I sorta look like one or Im frequently told lately that I look like a young Woody Allen lol.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:45 AM

11 posts, read 18,619 times
No one really mentioned NoPo(NorthPDX). I'm a midwestern transplant 5 years ago(my wife is westerner) and we love it up here. A bit more blue collar, lots of revitalization happening on streets like Killingsworth. Mississippi is a stronghold for hipster/new yuppie culture, but its still got some grit and great hangouts. Alberta is close if you want it and even St. Johns/Lombard Street has good potential. I think its the next great place in PDX(sometimes that means gentrification...). Can still find a deal(real estate) up in this area too if you look for a bit. Great Bikeways and Tri-Met is very accessible. Prost!

Old 03-03-2010, 08:48 PM

15 posts, read 37,757 times
You might also like close-in NE neighborhoods...Irvington and Hollywood, Rose City Park. Good walking/running old Portland neighborhoods, but lots of restaurants, bars, parks and 5 minutes from downtown and the Pearl. Bike lanes abound (much to my chagrin, but I get it).

Old 03-04-2010, 03:42 AM

19 posts, read 44,206 times
I keep hearing this word "hipster" and I'm too lazy to google it. Is that the new word for hippy?

Old 03-04-2010, 04:52 AM

2,220 posts, read 4,250,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot_iowa_hippie View Post
I keep hearing this word "hipster" and I'm too lazy to google it. Is that the new word for hippy?
Nope. Google it. The first few hits are pretty good explanations.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:27 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,476,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot_iowa_hippie View Post
Google it.

"Hippie" has connotations of politics, drug usage and are mostly old geezers now. Most traditional Hippies were (are?) anti-technology and growth. (remember Zero-Population Growth movement? Rural communes? )

Hipsters are young, tattooed, and have their own music. Hipsters have politics as adults at voting age do, but not anywhere near the core of being a Hipsters. You must be Technical savvy with fast finger texting on cell phone and can use NetSpeak (a sub-dialect of unknown grammar and spelling.) Some of the one's I have seen, or talked to, are not "crunchy" (granola eating greens) like older brothers or sisters. Due to budgets ($), tend to be bike riders in which young people ride a bike is nothing new in Portland.

Cultural slang, clothing, and music are not politics. Hippies found that out in the 1970's. Voting is politics.

Hipsters are young people who make an attempt to 'shock' the older generations. This is not news.

Aside: as an old hippie, I will thank the young'uns to keep their hands off my Doors, Ironbutterfly, Dion, Billy Joel, and other great music of MY YOUTH, and go find their own music. {pounding of cane on floor} thank-you.

Phil

Old 03-04-2010, 02:28 PM

15 posts, read 37,757 times
UrbanDictionary has the best definitions of 'hipster' and, yes, Portland is inundated. They usually look annoyed at the world and all that's in it -- especially you, if you cross their path or (horrors) try to speak to them. Never attempt to smile or joke with them if you are not 'one of them' -- it will merely be met with avoidance or disinterest, if not open hostility. Although it's difficult to avoid them, it's not entirely impossible if you plan your day out carefully--avoiding New Seasons, Whole Foods, just about every coffee shop in Portland, and also strive to confine yourself to areas they care not to be seen or see you. A slight exaggeration maybe...but only slight. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland